ADVERTISEMENT

Why do people hate lawyers?

BrianNole09

Starter
May 8, 2005
FSUTribe76's existence got me thinking: Why do people hate lawyers?

I was watching an interesting piece on "60 Minutes" did last night. They had a fake African businessman try to set up some ways to launder millions of dollars in the United States. They went undercover and filmed lawyers asking for help. Most of the lawyers had no problem dabbling in borderline illegal activities. Only one lawyer actually said "I won't help you with this" although none actually signed a contract with the African businessmen, I believe. Another lawyer bragged that "Lawyers run the world. We make the laws and make sure they are advantageous for us."

Why do people hate lawyers? Is it because they're unethical or perceived to be?

I live in the lawyer capital of the world, I think. (D.C.) I have lawyers in my family, lots of my friends are lawyers as well as people I know. There are so many different types of law that lawyers practice, that I can't agree that they all suck. But I've dealt with some lawyers that were basically used car salesman, bullies, etc. My lawyer friends tell me lots of lawyers are unethical or flat out ignorant.

What do you think?

I think a lot of it has to do with all the crappy lawyers who go into politics.

That, and most people only deal with lawyers in the following situations:
-death of a family member
-you or a family member is arrested
-divorce or child custody matter
-you are sued

None of the above are pleasant and you have to pay the lawyers a lot of money to boot.

It's can be a really expensive way to argue for one.

Also, I truly feel they drag things out to keep billing opportunity in play. And, I feel they secretly work the system on purpose. It's like an unwritten code. One files a motion to do this, the other files to do that, and so on, and so on. But at the end of the day they all pretty much knew exactly what was going to happen and it all could of been avoided.

But as you can see, when you need one, you have to get one, and you might as well just lean on over and grab ankles.

(Speaking mainly to divorce attorneys during my rant)

Also, I truly feel they drag things out to keep billing opportunity in play. And, I feel they secretly work the system on purpose. It's like an unwritten code. One files a motion to do this, the other files to do that, and so on, and so on. But at the end of the day they all pretty much knew exactly what was going to happen and it all could of been avoided.

But as you can see, when you need one, you have to get one, and you might as well just lean on over and grab ankles.

I told you marriage is no good :)

That's not just limited to divorce attorneys. I prevailed in a construction lawsuit and still didn't do as well as my attorney. But I must admit most of the fault fell on the other party.

Reactions: DanC78
I don't hate lawyers. Actually from the lawyers I know as friends it seems that lawyers hate other lawyers!?

I would also say that many peoples experience with Lawyers is seeing folks like Morgan and Morgan who will sue anything that moves and those "Bad Med etc" tv ads...

Reactions: FSUTribe76

I have needed a lawyer twice, and both were excellent. The first attorney charged me for everything, from tolls to mileage to making office copies.......

My divorce attorney was great, but I went to meet with her once and I sat in her office for an hour and then she cancelled. I joked with her, that if I had cancelled at the last minute like that, after waiting, she still would have charged me for scheduled half hour and now I was expecting a free half hour. When her final bill came in, she credited me with a half hour for the cancelled meeting, I thought that was a classy gesture. I had to put down a $2,500 retainer, and she ended up refunding me about $1,700. Again, she was great and only charged me about $800.

I think frivolous lawsuits are the main reason people don't like attorneys, and then when someone like OJ gets away with murder, the attorneys get nailed in the press, making people who don't need an attorney, dislike attorneys even more.

Not all of them.....just the ones who have TV commercials....or billboard signs.....or on the telephone book (ask your parents what this is).

FSUTribe76's existence got me thinking: Why do people hate lawyers?

I was watching an interesting piece on "60 Minutes" did last night. They had a fake African businessman try to set up some ways to launder millions of dollars in the United States. They went undercover and filmed lawyers asking for help. Most of the lawyers had no problem dabbling in borderline illegal activities. Only one lawyer actually said "I won't help you with this" although none actually signed a contract with the African businessmen, I believe. Another lawyer bragged that "Lawyers run the world. We make the laws and make sure they are advantageous for us."

Why do people hate lawyers? Is it because they're unethical or perceived to be?

I live in the lawyer capital of the world, I think. (D.C.) I have lawyers in my family, lots of my friends are lawyers as well as people I know. There are so many different types of law that lawyers practice, that I can't agree that they all suck. But I've dealt with some lawyers that were basically used car salesman, bullies, etc. My lawyer friends tell me lots of lawyers are unethical or flat out ignorant.

What do you think?
everyone hates them until they need them

Coffee is hot and you spill it on yourself yet someone else gets sued and pays for it. You smoke and get cancer yet you sue the tobacco companies and someone pays for it. Doctor makes an honest mistake yet you sue and someone pays for it. What would things actually cost if the companies didn't have to raise prices, carry so much insurance becuase of stupid azz law suits. The only ones getting rich are the attorneys, they're just sitting back laughing all the way to the bank.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Coffee is hot and you spill it on yourself yet someone else gets sued and pays for it. You smoke and get cancer yet you sue the tobacco companies and someone pays for it. Doctor makes an honest mistake yet you sue and someone pays for it. What would things actually cost if the companies didn't have to raise prices, carry so much insurance becuase of stupid azz law suits. The only ones getting rich are the attorneys, they're just sitting back laughing all the way to the bank.

Watch this move (free on youtube) and then tell me if you feel the same about the McDonalds coffee case/

Last edited:
Watch this and then tell me if you feel the same about the McDonalds coffee case/

LOL, people always cite to the McDonalds hot coffee case as if it's some type of lawyers gone bad example. But if you look into the actual facts and read that she basically had ver vagina melted off, no one would say %*^+.

I dare someone to look at the pictures of the injuries she suffered with her vagina basically gone and then say "oh what a travesty that McDonalds had to pay her for their willingness to forego safety by saving half a cent on a properly insulated cup."

https://www.quora.com/How-did-McDonalds-lose-the-hot-coffee-lawsuit

Last edited:
LOL, people always site to the McDonalds hot coffee case as if it's some type of lawyers gone bad example. But if you look into the actual facts and read that she basically had ver vagina melted off, no one would say %*^+.

I dare someone to look at the pictures of the injuries she suffered with her vagina basically gone and then say "oh what a travesty that McDonalds had to pay her for their willingness to forego safety by saving half a cent on a properly insulated cup."

"McDonald’s had received more than 700 previous reports of injury from its coffee, including reports of third-degree burns" - but hey, coffee is hot man...deal with it.

LOL, people always cite to the McDonalds hot coffee case as if it's some type of lawyers gone bad example. But if you look into the actual facts and read that she basically had ver vagina melted off, no one would say %*^+.

Holy CRAP...I did not know it was that bad....that was painful to look at for sure.

Holy CRAP...I did not know it was that bad....that was painful to look at for sure.

Doesn't really fit with the narrative we heard all those years ago about a greedy witch gaming the system does it? By the way, I think she initially only asked for help with medical expenses (about 10k I think) and they told her no.

Because in many cases, they end up making more money on a case than the injured party does.

For the same reason that everyone hates crotch-rocket riders. The few/many buttwipes make the rest of the good ones look bad.

Reactions: DFSNOLE

Damn! That article was quite an eye opener. It's sad how often the public is manipulated by the media through large corporations.

I have argued with many people as that being a bad citation as far as bad verdicts and agreed with the verdict. However, I think the problem many have is the dollar amount awarded being 2.9 million when medical bills were $10k. The appeal reducing it to 500k seems about right. Although the lawyers may have taken over half of that.

I have argued with many people as that being a bad citation as far as bad verdicts and agreed with the verdict. However, I think the problem many have is the dollar amount awarded being 2.9 million when medical bills were $10k. The appeal reducing it to 500k seems about right. Although the lawyers may have taken over half of that.

I don't know as I'm a dude but I'd think having your vagina melted off should be worth a couple of mil. I'm pretty positive if someone came along to me and said "we'll give you three million but we get to melt your penis and balls off in horrific, painful fashion" I strongly doubt I would take that deal.

I don't know as I'm a dude but I'd think having your vagina melted off should be worth a couple of mil. I'm pretty positive if someone came along to me and said "we'll give you three million but we get to melt your penis and balls off in horrific, painful fashion" I strongly doubt I would take that deal.

But, she did it to herself.

If I cut my balls off with a knife, should I sue the knife manufacturer?

They said her medical bill was 10k. I wouldn't take the deal either but I guess it depends if that 10k truly resolved the burns and damage that was done or they under provided. She should have full medical bills paid for and some money over and above that. Many people would find a couple million to be more than it should. Not sure I know what would be a fair amount versus what wouldn't be and can understand arguments from both sides. And my arguments agreeing the verdict was correct was even without seeing the pics you showed.

Still trying to figure out what an honest mistake in a medical malpractice claim is and why the poster believes that an innocent victim is not entitled to be compensated by the insurer for said honest mistake if the plaintiff proves the doctor deviated from the standard of care for the procedure.

Most are scumbags.

Perfect example:

Local dog park which is located in a county park. Dogs are not allowed in the park - only in the designated dog park which is fenced. Typical scumbag lawyer (everyone in the park that goes regularly knows him and his big mouth) lets his dog run loose, crapping in the area where dogs are not allowed. So one time someone mentions that dogs are not allowed in the park and if fido continues dumping his biz where it does not belong we could lose use of the dog park.

Assface's comeback: "Well my dog does not have tags - if animal control comes here they cannot fine me per local ordinance"....typical lawyer/scumbag/I am better than you B.S.

Most are scumbags.

Perfect example:

Local dog park which is located in a county park. Dogs are not allowed in the park - only in the designated dog park which is fenced. Typical scumbag lawyer (everyone in the park that goes regularly knows him and his big mouth) lets his dog run loose, crapping in the area where dogs are not allowed. So one time someone mentions that dogs are not allowed in the park and if fido continues dumping his biz where it does not belong we could loose use of the dog park.

Assface's comeback: "Well my dog does not have tags - if animal control comes here they cannot fine me per local ordinance"....typical lawyer/scumbag/I am better than you B.S.
This post made me laugh. i find that type of big mouth, credit card rich show-off persona more typical in sales persons than lawyers.

And if you think lawyers are a"""holes, you should party with investment bankers. The movie Boiler Room was closer to reality than not.

Its hard to imagine a greater collection of ignorant statements. Not one of my clients has ever had a lawsuit before the one I bring for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT