ADVERTISEMENT

WillTiger ever catch Jack?

no, i'm arguing that golf is more of a game than most sports. cma thinks the current crop of golfers are super-duper athletes. (chess is a game too but back when Fisher won the world title from the Russians at the height of the cold war, sports illustrated tried to capitalize on the publicity and called chess a sport.)

michael jordan might be able to earn a tour card, but Rory or Spieth or Duffner, not to mention Jimenez or Cabreara, are not going to make an NBA squad.

Why are you and Bell trying to put words in my mouth? Where did I say they were super duper athletes? What I said was that they were finely tuned machines which they are. Golf is a totally different set of skills than what other athletes possess. That doesn't make them any less of and athlete. And fyi Jordan could never earn a tour card...

michael jordan might be able to earn a tour card, but Rory or Spieth or Duffner, not to mention Jimenez or Cabreara, are not going to make an NBA squad.
ZB2TCI.jpg

And the answer is still no he won't.....

I remember telling you all what a douche the guy was many years ago and catching heat for it...
Did I say EVERYBODY was pissed? No, I said I caught heat. Y'all keep changing your angle of attack. It's funny...

What you guys fail to see or admit is that the greatest NBA player couldn't make an MLB squad. Does that make him less of an athlete? Could Kevin Durant play for the Steelers? No. Could Buster Posey win a NASCAR race? Of course not. Y'alls argument has no teeth...

Reactions: QuaZ2002
no, i'm arguing that golf is more of a game than most sports. cma thinks the current crop of golfers are super-duper athletes. (chess is a game too but back when Fisher won the world title from the Russians at the height of the cold war, sports illustrated tried to capitalize on the publicity and called chess a sport.)

Can ANYBODY that plays ANY OTHER SPORT do what Rory or Spieth or Duffner or Jimenez or Cabreara or even Daly or Zoller does? The short answer is no...

Len, how many soccer players have made the jump from MOST to the NFL or NBA? By your logic soccer players are not athletes...

Two years ago he was the best player on tour, so let's not act like he's been irrelevant since Torrey Pines in 2008. Heck just this year he was in the mix on Saturday afternoon in Augusta. I can't see anyway he gets four more majors but I wouldn't be surprised if he won another Masters.

Even with all that he didn't win a major. I don't see a major happening again or even another 2013.

Lot's of athletes are douches, even many of the greats. You were arguing that Tiger wasn't one of the greats, which is nonsense. Even if he never wins another tourney he'll go down as one of the best to play the game. Jackhole? Sure, but so what? I'm not tuning in for potential suitors for my daughter, I'm watching golf.
When I worked a senior tournament back in the 90's the biggest asshat there was Palmer. Doesn't mean he wasn't a great player in his day. Doesn't make me talk crap about him every time he plays like he banged my mom or something. Hmmm...your mom work at a Perkins?

Curtis Strange is the biggest tool in sports history. Truly in a class by himself. Nick Faldo, Tony Stewart, Urban Meyer, Rusty Wallace, Johnny Bench and Chuck Daley (deceased) also deserve votes.

is billiards a sport? its just golf without the walking, and ESPN televises it.

Curling? shooting? they're in the olympics.

Smoltz Glavine and Maddux all could have probably earned their tour card if they hadn't played baseball full time. Cal Ripken, George Brett, Robin yount, etc.

Smoltz Glavine and Maddux all could have probably earned their tour card if they hadn't played baseball full time. Cal Ripken, George Brett, Robin yount, etc.

Ah...I love message boards...where one supports their opinion with unprovable hypotheticals. I'll give a try, Jordan Speith could have probably made the UT baseball team if he wasn't playing golf full time.

- this is fun.

You need to stop and stick to soccer. You're proving over and over and over again you know NOTHING about real golf. Of that group Smoltzy was the only that might have been able to earn a card....

Last edited:
Ah...I love message boards...where one supports their opinion with unprovable hypotheticals. I'll give a try, Jordan Speith could have probably made the UT baseball team if he wasn't playing golf full time.

- this is fun.

They always said Tiger could of played DB in the NFL...

Tiger's girlfriend, a golfer's wife, just moved to town. His horrific game makes a lot more sense now.

igk4ZL.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if this thread should be asking if Tiger will ever win another PGA event.

Reactions: fsujd
You need to stop and stick to soccer. You're proving over and over and over again you know NOTHING about real golf. Of that group Smoltzy was the only that might have been able to earn a card....
Smoltz has tried to qualify multiple times for the US Open. Never successfully. No doubt he's a good golfer when compared to most weekend hacks. When compared to those who have enough game to earn their cards, he's out of his league.

There might be a couple of guys who could've earned a living on the tour if they'd chosen golf as their sport, but the list is extremely short. I think Rick Rhoden could've (he's qualified for the Senior Open a number of times & has played some on the Seniors tour, including a few top 10 finishes).

Rhoden had game. Full timing it he probably could have made a living out there...

Tiger had his best outing of the year and didn't sniff the leaderboard...

Tiger just played against perhaps the weakest tournament field of the year...and 40 guys beat him...and he was happy about it. I think he's capable of winning again, and maybe winning a major again, but it's hard to see him catching Jack.

Do some of you guys really think that just one weekend he's going to go out and be the old Tiger? I don't think he ever gets back to #1 and certainly not to the level he was 10 years ago, but any improvement he makes is going to be a process. He's played so little golf the last three years. Making the cut easily and only being 5 shots off the leaders is progress. We'll see if this week was just him playing against a weak field but I tend to think he'll do fairly well at St. Andrews. By far his biggest thing is staying healthy and playing regularly.

Tiger is no longer a professional golfer, he's a professional practice. There are too many good and too many very good golfers on the tour today.

He's only plays enough for endorsement money.

1. Lem, you're crazy if you think just any athlete could earn a tour card if only they tried. PGA Tour golfers are at a level FAR FAR above even your standard scratch golfer.

2. I actually agree that golf is not a sport--but not because it's "easy" or doesn't take immense skill. The best definition of "sport" I have ever heard requires that there be an "active defense" trying to prevent the opponent from accomplishing it's objective. This rules out a whole bunch of things like golf, most track and field (some of the long distance races actually do have runners actively boxing out or trying to do things like slow the pace), gymnastics, figure skating, diving, etc. It doesn't mean those things take any less athleticism--gymnasts are some of the most highly skilled, fined tuned athletes in the world--just means they are participating in an "athletic competition" as opposed to a "sport."

As an aside, while chess meets the "active defense" requirement it does not qualify as a sport because it does not require enough physical exertion and/or athletic skill.

I dont golf, but have several contacts who work at various clubs. 100% think juice was as relevant to Tigers dominant run as anything else. Like common knowledge. And now thst hes long off it, hes got no chance. Found it interesting is all

I dont golf, but have several contacts who work at various clubs. 100% think juice was as relevant to Tigers dominant run as anything else. Like common knowledge. And now thst hes long off it, hes got no chance. Found it interesting is all

Dude was clearly on 'roids. So obvious, especially now in retrospect. Yet the media never seriously "goes there," for fear they will incur the wrath of CBS, Nike, Big Golf, certain activists, etc.

Dude was clearly on 'roids. So obvious, especially now in retrospect. Yet the media never seriously "goes there," for fear they will incur the wrath of CBS, Nike, Big Golf, certain activists, etc.
Why is it obvious? Please tell me you have other reasons other than him being somewhat muscular. I realize he's had a lot of injuries, so that's maybe something, but there are plenty of guys who are known steroid/PED users who never had those types of injuries. So it's not exactly foolproof. The Canadian doctor might be the only thing i've seen or heard that is suspicious.

Lem is just trolling GE...

I'm getting a charge out of everybody saying Tiger is back after never being in contention but putting together a few decent rounds on a super easy course against a very mediocre field...

Tiger supporters are pretty die-hard as a group. They want to have hope.

On the steroid issue, there's really no way to know for sure unless there's some paperwork floating around, or the the Canadian doctor comes clean. That said, Tiger sure exhibited a lot of the classic symptoms. He bulked up in a hurry, and definitely has a lot of anger issues, as well as a few other signs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT