ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Rhodes ditches coaches game plan. . . . .

EvanNoles

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2004
Marianna, Florida
Minnesota Vikings defensive backs went rogue in Saturday's loss to the Green Bay Packes.

Coach Mike Zimmer planned for corner Xavier Rhodes to shadow Jordy Nelson the entire game. Instead, Vikings corners decided to each play their side of the field.

" We felt as a team, as players, we came together and we felt like we'd never done that when we played against the Packers," Rhodes said. "Us as DBs felt like we could handle him. That's how we felt as DBs that we could stay on our side and cover him. In the beginning, we'd always played against them and played our sides, so that's what we as DBs went with."

Nelson complied 145 yards and two TDs on seven first-half receptions -- some of that yardage came against Rhodes. The Packers led 28-13 before the Vikings got to the locker room and Zimmer took control.

With Rhodes shadowing Nelson in the second half, the Packers' receiver caught two passes for nine yards.
jordy-nelson-left-and-xavier-rhodes_ad5vnz2t6s9b107zpar12nx82.jpg

"That's what he was supposed to do the whole game," Zimmer said. "Someone decided they wouldn't do that."

"In the first half when Terence Newman came over and said something to me like 'I can cover this guy, let me have him,'" Zimmer said. "I said, 'do what you're supposed to do.'"

Newman declined to comment on the issue saying simply, "nothing. I have no idea."

In a season that started out with so much promise before spiraling out of control, the defensive back revolt is a bad look for a Vikings team that lost its way down the stretch.

Rhodes was selected to his first Pro Bowl this year.

Wow, :confused:
Go Noles

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...sota-vikings-dbs-ditch-mike-zimmers-game-plan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...sota-vikings-dbs-ditch-mike-zimmers-game-plan

I wonder what would happen if our corners tried Kelly like that.

Absolute nonsense.....what's up with the secondary coach allowing this? Time for some fines, discipline and reevaluation of players to be on the team next year.

Players don't respect certain coaches. As a coach have to keep that respect first and foremost.

You see them start doing their own thing and not focusing on their assignments

I doubt this is only issue we see with Vikes going forward

How does it last a whole 1st half? What is Zimmer doing...either listen as players or bench them

Rhodes should be fined...unacceptable behavior.
The way I read it was that it was that the other corner didn't want to seem like he wasn't able to guard Nelson...which turned out to be correct because he got lit up. When they listened to the coach and Rhodes shadowed him, he got shut down. I think that XR was speaking on behalf of the DBs, not that he was the mastermind behind it. I think he had the other DBs back and it completely backfired.

The way I read it was that it was that the other corner didn't want to seem like he wasn't able to guard Nelson...which turned out to be correct because he got lit up. When they listened to the coach and Rhodes shadowed him, he got shut down. I think that XR was speaking on behalf of the DBs, not that he was the mastermind behind it. I think he had the other DBs back and it completely backfired.
Correct, not the mastermind. He was an equal part in the decision. He is clearly the leader on this defense (only Pro Bowler) and had many opportunities to follow the game plan. He has admitted as much. . .Deion Sanders spoke on the matter on NFL.com but I could not find the tape. Deion chastised Rhodes and talked of the admiration he has for Zimmer (used to be his position coach). . .I think a lot of Rhodes. Hopefully this is a lesson learned.

Go Noles!

ESPN just updated their original story. Wish these guys would fact-check before they write something.

https://floridastate.forums.rivals.com/forums/tickets-trades-travel.18/

Minnesota Vikings defensive backs freelanced on only the first series of the game against the Green Bay Packers, when cornerback Terence Newman covered wide receiver Jordy Nelson, a well-placed Vikings source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

As soon as the first series ended, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer addressed the players and the situation was corrected.

One Vikings source said although it was an incident that occurred on the first series, Zimmer did not put a timeline on it in the postgame press conference, and the situation got "blown out of proportion."

Don't know how much of this is accurate. If it was only the first series, Rhodes and Newman were getting burnt.

Go Noles!

Welcome to the NFL. Happens all the time and no repercussions will occur because of it. This is the reason many college coaches cant cut it in the NFL. Its a totally different world over there.

Why is that bad? The defense thought they could handle it straight up. Then went to Rhodes trailing Nelson and shut him down. What's the problem?

Welcome to the NFL. Happens all the time and no repercussions will occur because of it. This is the reason many college coaches cant cut it in the NFL. Its a totally different world over there.

False.

It's actually both hilarious and perplexing that some people don't see the problem with this. Complete disrespect for your coaches who hired you to do a job according to their plan. Complete disrespect for your coach's experience and knowledge, spitting on the chain of command.

The funny part is it failed miserably on the field, then as soon as they did what they were told, actually executed.

It was a total misrepresentation of what happened. I watched a show today that cleared it up. The media made assumptions
Yep it was only the first drive.

Like a HC is really going to sit there and watch certain players continuously ignore his play calling. Deion said he did it to Zimmer for one first down when he played for him and didn't make that mistake again.

Reactions: FlashFSU
It's actually both hilarious and perplexing that some people don't see the problem with this. Complete disrespect for your coaches who hired you to do a job according to their plan. Complete disrespect for your coach's experience and knowledge, spitting on the chain of command.

The funny part is it failed miserably on the field, then as soon as they did what they were told, actually executed.
It's actually both hilarious and perplexing that some people don't understand how absurd this is and instead blindly assume the media is 100% accurate on these types of stories. If you think Mike Zimmer passively allowed his players to do whatever they deemed fit you haven't a clue of how football is played at the highest level.

There are a couple things that some of you don't understand about the situation and are taking this to a different level
1) It only happened on ONE series. Not a half
2) Rhodes was only suppose to follow Nelson when he was on the outside. Not while in the slot, so Nelson could/did still find ways to avoid him
3) The Vikings have one of the best defenses in the NFL and it was mentioned how they NEVER used this strategy before. Not even the first time they played the Packers this year.
4) Rhodes takes the blame(bc he actually talked to the media) but he was only trying to be a good teammate and give one of his guys a chance to make a play. It's not something that he decided on his own.
NUMBER 5) Terrence Newman told Zimmer before they even went on the field! If it was THAT big a deal, Zimmer should've burned a TIMEOUT and chewed them out about it before the first drive ended.

Is it ok to defy your coach? No, but it's only two reasons why something like that would happen. Either Zimmer gives them the leeway to make decisions on their own, or they have NO respect for him as a coach. But I can promise you that Xavier Rhodes future as a NFL CB is brighter than Zimmer's future as a NFL head coach.

this just isn't true in this case, that is what you get cut for. It is a different world that is for sure

There are a couple things that some of you don't understand about the situation and are taking this to a different level
1) It only happened on ONE series. Not a half
2) Rhodes was only suppose to follow Nelson when he was on the outside. Not while in the slot, so Nelson could/did still find ways to avoid him
3) The Vikings have one of the best defenses in the NFL and it was mentioned how they NEVER used this strategy before. Not even the first time they played the Packers this year.
4) Rhodes takes the blame(bc he actually talked to the media) but he was only trying to be a good teammate and give one of his guys a chance to make a play. It's not something that he decided on his own.
NUMBER 5) Terrence Newman told Zimmer before they even went on the field! If it was THAT big a deal, Zimmer should've burned a TIMEOUT and chewed them out about it before the first drive ended.

Is it ok to defy your coach? No, but it's only two reasons why something like that would happen. Either Zimmer gives them the leeway to make decisions on their own, or they have NO respect for him as a coach. But I can promise you that Xavier Rhodes future as a NFL CB is brighter than Zimmer's future as a NFL head coach.
How stupid of a post. Simmer is considered one of the best defensive minds in football. Not just this year. The Vikings made the playoffs last year and would have made it again had they not lost their two best offensive players early in the year.

I can guarantee you Rhodes future in the NFL will be short lived if he does these kind of things on a regular basis. Teams win championships not individuals. And yes, I understand it was one drive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT