ADVERTISEMENT

1-star reviews of National Parks

BelemNole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Roseville, CA
Ok, so we know that Tribe wrote the one about Zion - I mean, it even bitches about the food but did he write them all?

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-24%20at%2011.13.07%20AM.png

Here's the rest.

I'm picturing some fat guy with stains on his t shirt who would rather be home with his Xbox drinking Natty Light. He should have stayed there.
Our national parks are absolutely one of the greatest gifts we've been blessed with.
What an ingrate. And I don't know what a scarilidge is but what he says about Yellowstone is a sacrilege.

Ok, so we know that Tribe wrote the one about Zion - I mean, it even bitches about the food but did he write them all?

Here's the rest.

Nah, I wouldn't have given it one star, probably a three or maybe a four. My complaint is that there are MUCH better parks (both national and state) all within an easy driving distance of Zion and yet it's flooded with four or five times the tourists of those better places. I absolutely loved the Four Corner area in general and just because I think it's the most overrated of the parks BY FAR, it's still good if that was the only thing you saw.

I've only one starred two places that I recall both restaurants. One was a place in Hellen Georgia that wouldn't serve us because we were there with a darker skinned Brazilian and they were racist as (*&)(. They "claimed" they were in between lunch and dinner (it was 1 O Clock) and they wouldn't be "firing up the stove" until 5...except their hours listed they were open during that time and we saw plenty of white locals going in. The other was Ouzts Too near St Marks as we went three times over a three month period and two times we could not get served as the waitresses were too busy catering only to the local bikers and ignored us out of town nonbikers. Once it's a forgivable lapse of one waitress, twice and it's a store policy.

I went to the Tetons one time and was unable to photograph 'the most photographed barn in the world' because the road was closed due to snow. SNOW!?! Who would think that snow would be allowed to keep me, as a guest, away from my intended destination, just because it was February!?!?!

Seriously though, I am very surprised by how many of those I have been to. Just ticked Crater Lake off the list. It was smoky. Wondered why Oregon couldn't maintain control of the wildfires until I left (not).

I am reading a book about ecological issues and eco-terrorists. Came across some interesting info about how Yellowstone was changed, forever, by naming it a National Park and what was done to 'preserve' it's beauty (actually harming the eco-system).

Mother nature and the native Americans have had an interesting effect on Yellowstone. It's a shame so much damage was done in the name of preservation.

Okay. I'll try to condense it.

2 million acres were originally set aside by U.S. Grant. In 1903, when TR visited, the park was teeming with game. The Park Service was formed (by TR). This bureaucracy's sole job was to maintain the park in it's original condition.

Within 10 years the landscape TR had seen was gone forever. Park managers had taken a series of steps to maintain and preserve the park:

Early managers believed that elk was going extinct. They eliminated predators. They shot and poisoned all the wolves in the park. They forbid Native Americans from hunting in the park. The elk population exploded, they ate so many of certain trees and grasses that the area began to change. Beavers vanished because the trees they used vanished. When beavers vanished meadows dried up, which led to changes in the trout numbers and the otters left. Erosion changed and marred the landscape, forever. By the 20's the managers realized that the elk population was too large and unsustainable, so they shot them by the 1000s. But, the early mix of trees and grasses did not return.

Studies have revealed that Native Americans influenced the park in a variety of ways. Keeping the numbers of elk, bison and moose in check. Native Americans also managed the area thru control burns, control of the forests and thinning herds.

Grizzlies were initially protected, then killed off. Wolves were re-introduced. Field studies of animals using radio collars were started and ended, then resumed again on endangered species.

Fire prevention efforts were implemented, which led to some deforestation (we have learned since that some trees need fire to reproduce), and when 'controlled burns' were re-implemented, some areas burned so hotly that the ground was sterilized. This required re-seeding.

Rainbow trout were introduced in the 1970's which killed off native cutthroat species.

As noted, disastrously intrusive intervention, followed by attempts to repair the intervention, followed by attempts to repair the damage caused by the repairs. One mistake after another.

I hope this helps and explains my comments above. As soon as the volcano there explodes, then it will all be altered again, by Mother Nature.

Last edited:
Well there is a mix of accuracy and less than accurate stuff there. But none of that is really limited to the park. Man has changed the landscape everywhere he's gone, at least in the park's case they were at least trying to protect it.
I can tell you thru personal experience that there is greater biodiversity inside the park than out.

Reactions: goldmom
...and there are some beaver there and there are moose there and there are elk there and black bear and on and on.

I've been there several times (I generally go in May or October when the crowds are thinner). My son lives in Wyoming. 'Bio-diversity' there is fantastic and I am very appreciative of the efforts to maintain the area. I was just attempting to point out that man's efforts, in a lot of areas, do not always work out as planned, as we really know very little about the environment, both before we arrived and as we try to 'manage' it.

Reactions: CJRN and goldmom
I agree that things don't always work out as planned. I don't agree with the author's premise (assuming it's his and not yours) that the area would have been better off had it not been designated our first national park. Wallace Stegner was right, it was "America's best idea".

Going out to Yellowstone and Tetons for the first time with the family next June. We have been wanting to go for awhile now, and finally committed to it last week.

Got it. I answered your questions. You want to argue and obfuscate. No one, including me, has disagreed with making Yellowstone a National Park. I'm out.

I don't see where I've taken an aggressive tone with you or tried to "obfuscate" any issues. I disagreed with some of the assertions made in the book you read and agreed that some were valid (predator control, fire management). Your tone DID seem to indicate that creating the park was a mistake, but I'm glad to see that we agree that it wasn't.

Going out to Yellowstone and Tetons for the first time with the family next June. We have been wanting to go for awhile now, and finally committed to it last week.

June can be a funny month. Bring clothes for every season as you could get anything from sunny weather in the 80's to a week of snow. It will likely be buggy around the meadows too. Bison calving season will have likely just have ended so there will be lots of "orange dogs" running around, which is always fun to see. Where are you staying?

As someone reading this thread and sharing sentiments from both of you, I don't see anyone being obtuse. No one can argue that this country was despoiled by settlers, starting the moment they made landfall in the New World.
Understanding of the environment and also having a greater understanding of how that environment can bounce back if we just step back and follow the old saying of "let nature take its course" is good for everyone.

All I can say is that I LOVED Yellowstone and Grand Teton, and think this country is blessed to have the park system that we should treasure. Glad you were catching fish, Belem. Pics or it didn't happen.

Nice fish, but not a cutthroat.... I guess they really are extinct. ;)

I've been several times but it has been a while... I love it and want to go back soon with my kids, since they only saw it when they were very young.

My first trip was in June, and you're right about the weather, it can be all over the place. And man there were some nasty mosquitos!!..snow melt means water pooling everywhere coupled with herds of bison, elk, etc means they thrive in some locations. Oh, and I really did catch some cutthroat when I was there :p (in the Snake River near the Tetons actually).

Here's the rest.
This should have been a 2 star review, maybe a 3. And for what it's worth I like hearing about the bad reviews just as well as the good. They are equally important to me to when reviewing a product or service.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT