ADVERTISEMENT

A/C Question

hatsbo

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Ok, here's the set up, we have a two story house, separate ac units for each floor. Upstairs we have two good sized bedrooms, bathroom and great room. We're empty nesters, so the whole floor is typically unoccupied. We have a vaulted ceiling in the downstairs family room and foyer which opens up to the second floor hall with railing. We finally started to run the AC this week, I've been closing all upstairs doors and running only the unit downstairs, my wife seems to think if cool air sinks then leaving those upstairs doors open wouldn't hurt. I'm thinking it's more space to cool, thoughts?

I like your logic, but I didn't sleep in a holiday inn last night.

turn upstairs on but keep it set at a higher temp....maybe 78.

keep my upstairs closed off and the unit turned up fairly high. Seems to work ok, Powerbill was $195 last month. Not bad.

I'd leave the doors open and unit off. My concern is that closing everything off will allow humidity to build in the upper level, and could cause issues. The little bit of load you add to the lower level unit will cause it to run a little more, but that will also help dehumidify a little more, which is a problem in Florida.

I'd get a programmable tstat to have it run when it would be most efficient, around dawn, to at least move the air around and dehumidify.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT