ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball A few hoops notes (May 14)

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
We caught up with FSU coach Leonard Hamilton at the ACC spring meetings. A few quick notes:

Hamilton said Waka Mbatch will return to FSU for a second season. He only played five minutes or so in 2023-24. Very raw but athletic player. When he mentioned the three returning players (after I asked about only two returning) he mentioned Waka's return.

FSU has added some transfers, including the nation's top juco player. He also hinted there is another signee from the portal (a big man) FSU has not announced.

"I'm very proud of our staff because we I think we have improved our depth, our size," Hamilton said. "I think we’ve improved our perimeter shooting tremendously."

When I inquired if he felt Watkins was going on to the NBA, Hamilton said it was too early to tell with the NBA scouting combine in progress. "I think they started today, measurements and stuff like that. A lot depends on how well he plays. … You've had a lot of players go and do well with the combines and elevate their status. You wish them well but from my standpoint, you just have to try to be as prepared as you can one way or the other. But that’s one of the positive things of the portal. You’re going to have some guys still available that we’re talking to."

He said much of the meetings were spent on scheduling. The ACC has only had five schools in the field of 68 each of the last two years. NC State reached the Final Four this spring, for example, as a lower seed. "The number of teams that we've gotten in NCAA Tournament does not reflect how successful we've been once we get into the tournament," Hamilton said.

Reactions: SERecruit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News