ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Network...!

7drHiqr.gif

Reactions: TexSkills
Just so I read it clearly... I'm going to have to watch new network on one of my tablet devices until '19? Dang was hoping to catch some games on a big screen when this was finnaly rolled out.

Just so I read it clearly... I'm going to have to watch new network on one of my tablet devices until '19? Dang was hoping to catch some games on a big screen when this was finnaly rolled out.

If you have something like Chromecast you can stream it to your tv from your tablet. But yes, ESPN won't be investing heavily until 2019. What I'm curious to see is if there's any major penalty if ESPN doesn't actually launch a real network in 2019? I could see them using the digital network as a way to gauge viewer interest and then say in 2019 there's not enough customers to make it a viable network. Do they return our grant of rights or pay major penalties if that gets delayed?

Millions and millions of Americans have some sort of streaming media device, such as a Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast. All of these devices are essentially set top boxes or HDMI dongles that allow you to stream content to your tv. It's just as easy as streaming Netflix or Hulu or YouTube or Amazon Prime. I don't know too many Smart TVs that have a built-in WatchESPN app, but these streaming devices are better than whatever is built in to smart tv's anyway.

At least ESPN doesn't have to pay $45 million a year to the ACC, because they came up with a "plan." I was on the five year plan in college, but the ACC is clearly on the 10 year plan. Thanks ninja swoff...

That said, only thirty-six percent of U.S. broadband households (28% of all households) have at least one streaming media player and less than 20% have smart TVs, with obvious overlap in those figures. Maybe the ACC/ESPN can figure out a way to incorporate HD antennas to juice the numbers. In the SEC, you turn on your TV and the conference collects a check which seems, I know, sooooooo unexciting.

Last edited:
At least ESPN doesn't have to pay $45 million a year to the ACC, because they came up with a "plan." I was on the five year plan in college, but the ACC is clearly on the 10 year plan. Thanks ninja swoff...

lol, please post that over on the free FSU sports board because i'm locked out of that thread for raining on theirtheir circle jerk.

really, the only thing to be excited about the network is IF FSU will get more money. but whether this new deal is even as good as the original we'll-build-the-network-or-else-pay-you-$45 million/year deal remains to be seen, let alone Swofford's statement that this will narrow the gap with other conferences. On top of that, we had to commit another 10 years (til 2036), and ND gets to keep its sweetheart deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTM58
Again, what happens if they don't provide the OTA network in 2017 as "planned".

Again, what happens if they don't provide the OTA network in 2017 as "planned".

oh they can, and they will--that's how they got out of the obligation to pay the conference $45 million a year for not having a network yet. it will just be an internet streaming setup like ESPN3 with a different name.

Reactions: RTM58
got a push alert a few minutes ago that an announcement was being made now...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT