ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Spring Meetings at Amelia Island (Thur., 2:15 pm update)

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
THURSDAY UPDATES

2:15 p.m. Update

Just posted a story about the status of ACC Channel negotiations.

Here is some other info I tweeted about from our conversation with Swofford:

I have to get on the road back to Tally, but will post more later today.

10:15 a.m. Update

The athletics directors and faculty representatives are now conducting their final meeting of the week. During this session, they will vote on any of the initiatives that were passed by the coaches' committees. For example, the instant replay central command center idea, which was approved by the football coaches, will have to be approved by this group to happen.

When they're done (probably around 11:30 or noon), we will have a sit-down with John Swofford and discuss the votes and other big-picture topics, such as the TV network, finances, etc.

Will post updates here as soon as that's over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEDNESDAY UPDATES

3:20 p.m. Update

Just spoke with FSU athletics director Stan Wilcox about a variety of topics. Here is one note that I figured you'd find interesting:

* The Champions Club construction at Doak is on track. He said they're now in preliminary discussions about future improvements -- including renovating the entire bowl and also possibly doing Club seating in the other end zone as well. So in the future, they could have club seating in both end zones. But he said that is just something they're discussing and would have to figure out funding, etc.

1:30 p.m. Update

Spoke with Coach Fisher again, and he said the ACC coaches did vote on some issues today before they left the meetings.

* The football coaches voted YES on having a central command for instant replay. I'm not sure if there's another layer of approval needed from ADs, but the coaches did vote for it.

* The coaches voted NO on the idea of adding more video technology to the sideline during football games. Jimbo was in favor of it. He would like coaches to have access to iPads, etc., to show replays of specific plays to teach players during the game. But the majority of ACC coaches voted against it.

* There was no conversation at all about division realignment.

Jimbo talked about a few other topics as well, and I'll update those shortly.

10 a.m. Update

The coaches for football, men's basketball and women's basketball are participating in their final meetings this morning. They will vote on some of the topics they've discussed and table some for later discussion. This is the day we usually get some more information about actual decisions related to scheduling or other changes.

I also plan to catch up with Stan Wilcox about a few issues, so I'll have updates on that today. And we might get some extra time with Jimbo. Should have some real updates by lunch time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TUESDAY UPDATES

Checking in from the ACC Spring Meetings at Amelia Island (rough life, I know).

The athletic directors and coaches are all in meetings right now, but we should be able to catch up with Jimbo, Stan Wilcox and others around lunch time. Maybe earlier if any of the meetings break early.

As you surely know, the big topics of conversation will be any updates on the pursuit of an ACC Network, legislation about satellite camps and other possible NCAA rule changes. I'll update this thread throughout the day ... and will come back with stories and quotes as they develop.

Each time we update the thread, we'll put a timestamp in the thread title ... so you'll know whether to check back for news. That's it for now. Be back soon. ...

-------------------------------------------
1 p.m. Update

Just got done speaking with Jimbo and have plenty of updates coming.

The most significant item we discussed was related to satellite camps. Jimbo doesn't like them, but he and his staff are considering participating in them ... Either going to work the camps in other places or holding their own. he said they haven't made a decision yet on how they will handle, but definitely got the impression they will be involved. He said they can't afford not to if other schools are doing them.

-----------------------------------------------------------
3 p.m. Update

Here are the quotes from Jimbo about satellite camps. I'm also writing a story off of this, but here are the raw quotes:

On whether FSU will participate in the camps:

"We’re going to have to make decisions where do we send guys or do we go have them (camps) ourselves? The possibility of doing it out there. What we need to do -- financially how that will affect us and how we’ll get there."

Why would FSU participate in them?

"Being able to get to people because we've got a brand name and we’re recruiting kids all across this country, and sometimes if they cant get to you for a camp, if you can get to them and get in front of them and coach and let them see what you’re like for a visit later. ... You've got to keep up because you can't afford not to."

How many coaches would they send to a camp in another part of the country?

"If there’s a camp somewhere else, you’d send only one of two people. If you’re hosting it, it would be your whole staff."

Would Fisher go to satellite camps in different parts of the country himself?

"Yes."

Fisher still says he's not a fan of the satellite camps

"Now, do I think it’s crazy? Yes I do. But at the same time, you've got to get players and do what you have to evaluate players, coach players."

One of his biggest complaints is how much time it would take coaches away from families.

"You have to understand what you are doing to assistant coaches, coaches' families, the time constraints. The old days, recruiting was over -- that month before spring ball you got ready for spring ball, but you weren’t in recruiting mode. ... You had it boiled down. Now, those times are done. So family time for coaches has been eaten up. Family relationships and all that and now you’re adding this to it, it’s an issue. There is definitely an issue. At the same time you want to keep your job too."

If he had his choice, what they would do is allow coaches from smaller schools come work the camps at bigger schools:

"Let lower-level people be able to attend our camp but do away with satellite camps. ... Let all those guys come to your camp, see all the players you want, evaluate all the players."

He doesn't buy the argument that satellite camps help prospects get discovered.

"There is not a kid out there who has not been see with Rivals and Openings and 247s, Under Armors, video, there is not one kid out there that’s not getting in front of major college coaches. ... The kids are being seen, by everybody."

Fisher said FSU has been contacted by a number of high school coaches asking if they would like to conduct a satellite camp in their area

"I’m not doing that. We’ve been called by everybody. you get called. They put our brand name on it and I understand what they’re doing. There’s nothing wrong with it. At the same time, you’re opening up Pandoras box. How much do you pay each high school? How much are you paying them? How much do you use their facilities?"

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News