ADVERTISEMENT

alaskanseminole is confused by life again

alaskanseminole

Seminole Insider
Oct 20, 2002
Why do people, men in general, buy expensive, fancy, sports cars just to drive 60MPH? I can't count the number of times I'm forced to maneuver around them in my little four-banger (yes, they are poking along in MY fast lane) and wonder, "Why do you have all that horse power if you're not going to use it!?"

I think I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

What say you, LR?

I will get ripped for this, but I am with the group that cannot fathom the folks that aimlessly drive oblivious to the fact that they are impeding traffic flow. Interstate highways are multiple lanes for a reason, move over!

Reactions: dmm5157
First of all, any car can go 60mph, but not many can get there in under 3 seconds. Do you expect him to drive 150mph everywhere just because he can? Secondly, MOST people that can afford extremely expensive cars are (ironically) old and cautious drivers.

Because if they drive any faster it will mean that they will need to fill up quicker.

You said, "four banger"

oR95_a

Because speeding is still speeding - even if you have a 200mph car. And because their car will attract more police attention than yours will, so they're probably more likely to be scrutinized (and ticketed). For all you know, they have a place where they take the car on track days so they can go a lot faster, but they recognize that public roads aren't the right place for that.

If anything, you should praising them for their restraint. Otherwise, you'd be starting a thread saying "Why do guys with expensive cars rocket around like they're in the Cannonball Run?" (I recognize that only some of the people here are even going to get that reference!"

2083301_l5.jpg

I will get ripped for this, but I am with the group that cannot fathom the folks that aimlessly drive oblivious to the fact that they are impeding traffic flow. Interstate highways are multiple lanes for a reason, move over!

I am with you and insert popcorn eating Michael Jackson Picture here.

well, there is a law in Florida now that will ticket slow drivers in the fast lane. "Florida statute 316.081 makes it mandatory to let faster drivers by."

Because speeding is still speeding - even if you have a 200mph car. And because their car will attract more police attention than yours will, so they're probably more likely to be scrutinized (and ticketed). For all you know, they have a place where they take the car on track days so they can go a lot faster, but they recognize that public roads aren't the right place for that.

If anything, you should praising them for their restraint. Otherwise, you'd be starting a thread saying "Why do guys with expensive cars rocket around like they're in the Cannonball Run?" (I recognize that only some of the people here are even going to get that reference!"

2083301_l5.jpg
"Those men weren't fathers, they're mother....."

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Really simple. To flaunt wealth and/or pick up women.

And a woman who goes for some guy just because of his car is sort of shaky in the grey matter department, IMO. Most of the females I know think guys who drive certain sports cars are of a type...that reflect their insecurity about their ability to get a girl's attention in the first place.

But, back to guys driving too slow in the fast lane - kind of metaphorical, you know? ;)

Reactions: West Duval Nole
I would love a fast sports car but would not drive any faster on the highway then I normally drive, 75 ish. But how quickly I get to 75 is a completely different story.

Reactions: LLOYD72 and F4Gary
well, there is a law in Florida now that will ticket slow drivers in the fast lane. "Florida statute 316.081 makes it mandatory to let faster drivers by."
Any law is only as good as its' enforcement. Driving back and forth on I-10 last weekend between Tally and DeFuniak I passed at least a dozen people on the right side that refused to get over. Until they're ticketed, their behavior will not change.

2083301_l5.jpg

Dun dun Dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Its more of the reverse for me. Its the Prius in the fast that can't get it up....

There are those of us that are in to fast cars, and there are those that have a lot of money and just want to show it off. They aren't car guys. Kinda like the guy that spends $5000 on a watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: LLOYD72 and goldmom
There are those of us that are in to fast cars, and there are those that have a lot of money and just want to show it off. They aren't car guys. Kinda like the guy that spends $5000 on a watch.

Truth. This applies to so many other "show off" areas as well. You so often see folks spend money on things that they do not really " use" in the intended manner.

2083301_l5.jpg

How many highways do you know that are 60MPH zones? The "point" is on several levels here:

1. Obviously it's irritating for these "performance" cars to be trolling along in the fast lane
2. It's ironic that the cars with the ability to go the fastest are the ones often going the slowest
3. Why buy a car that attracts police...what the purpose in owning something you can't use? It's like paying for a stripper you can't have sex with.

...alaskanseminole is, once again, confused by life.

Reactions: vevois23
They should, at the very minimum, stomp it off the line when the light turns green. It should be mandated by law that they entertain us with this spectacle.

It's amazing how many folks completely miss the point of the conversation. There's a HUGE difference between driving like an a$$hat and simply getting the frack outta the way or roll'n with the traffic flow.

Imagine being on a single-width, hiking trail, headed straight up a mountain and the one person you're stuck behind is the Rock. Wouldn't you be like, "Seriously? this is the guy I'm stuck behind?"

Last edited:
Sounds like the "real issue" is with other people's cars being able to perform better than yours?

double entendra anyone?

Sounds like the "real issue" is with other people's cars being able to perform better than yours?

double entendra anyone?

Nope. Just move the hell outta the way when I'm driving on my road; especially if you have the ability to do so in an expedited fashion. :p

Reactions: vevois23
90 coming in from the east side of town up to capital circle in Tally is that way.

I love speed and can afford to go fast ;)
I wondered if a judge would be receptive to me pre-paying for any tickets I may or may not accrue. For example...say I approached the bench and said, "Your honor, here's $1K up front for the next year. I plan on driving fast. :D"

People drive the way they do because there is basically no repercussions. You are almost anonymous in a car, and can therefore get away with any action you want. Unless the police pull you over.....and then, you might have to pay a fine. Points...just take a test online.
The only place where driving like an asshat is noticed is in small towns. Then you have to answer for what you did, everyone knows everyone, and someone will notice and call you on it at Church, at the IGA, at the restaurant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT