ADVERTISEMENT

All chop blocks are now illegal in the NFL...

Chop block is when 2 players are engaged, which is largely illegal already. We need to ban cut blocks at the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: Leben
"Can they please make that rule for NCAA???"
I second that!! On the NFL level this will effect all teams but some more than others ie: zone blocking schemes - like Denver - will see more of an impact. I'm glad to see the change since it has been an injury waiting to happen!!

Chop block is when 2 players are engaged, which is largely illegal already. We need to ban cut blocks at the line of scrimmage.
I assumed that is what they meant? Cut blocks are ridiculous as a lineman. I can understand cut blocking on the outside(WR/CB) but it causes to many injuries

While I wouldn't mind them being outlawed, I'm pretty sure every school uses cut blocking from time to time. I seem to remember us using it on the LOS to open throwing lanes for slants and other quick routes.

As long as they're legal, teams are going to use them. Doesn't mean they should stay in the game. Of course my bigger complaint is why we schedule FCS teams that we know use this type of scheme. I understand that it helps us prepare for Tech if we happen to face them, but I hate starting off the first game with injuries.

Reactions: FlamingSpear
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT