ADVERTISEMENT

Always Keep Your Passport Current

RangerNole

Seminole Insider
Apr 13, 2003
So just got word I need to go to Italy for a week 20-27 August. Pretty light work week so I expect some decent downtime. My anniversary is the 31st so I asked the wife hey how about an anniversary trip to Italy. Besides the flight costs and food which in part will be covered by my per diem it will cost us nothing. Then the wife says oh my passport is expired. Bummer since she could have been in Italy for a week. I know you can expedite passport renewals but don't think 3 weeks is doable.

Damn, Ranger, your thread title had me scared for a minute! Thought you were going to share some inside info of an ominous nature.

Reactions: seminole97
2-3 weeks should be doable but cutting it close. If you can drop it off at a bureau rather than mailing, that might help.

Also generally when your passport is within 6 months of its expiration dt a number of nations can (and might) deny entry.

e.g. going to the Philippines in Feb but passport expires in June, so I'm renewing before I go as their customs/immigration website states they require it be valid for at least 6 mos from entry.

Another thing to be aware of is the number of empty pages, some countries require two pages, even though Mr.StampGuy is prob just going to put his stamp right over another one anyway.

Last edited:
The concept of a physical passport is kinda crazy, like it's 2018 and I've got to carry this tiny book around that someone puts stamps in like it's 1965 in order to gain entry into another country and then back into my own.

Not every nation is riding high on the high tech wave, so I get the necessity, but it's certainly anachronistic - esp considering how easily forged they are (as per The Americans and Breaking Bad).

Where did you get that price everything I see on the Internet is about $200 plus the government fees.
It appears ranger's lady would fall into the second category on this page...
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/hurry.html

I did the same a few years back, it wasn't so bad aside from a few hours with the commonfolk at the passport office.

I was able to drop it off and pick it up at the office - I vaguely recall it being ready in less than a week.

I got mine done through the post office in less than a week. I think the expedite charge was like $164. This was about 8 years ago though.

Those time frames don't match my experience. I just expedited mine a couple of years ago and it still took 3 weeks through the post office. I also had the military expedite one for me a while back and this was a state department passport. It still took a couple of weeks. I have not used any of the companies that say they can do it in days or a week and honestly I don't like that idea for a passport, to important a document.

So just got word I need to go to Italy for a week 20-27 August. Pretty light work week so I expect some decent downtime. My anniversary is the 31st so I asked the wife hey how about an anniversary trip to Italy. Besides the flight costs and food which in part will be covered by my per diem it will cost us nothing. Then the wife says oh my passport is expired. Bummer since she could have been in Italy for a week. I know you can expedite passport renewals but don't think 3 weeks is doable.
Took me two weeks to get mine back in June. Wasn't even expedited.

Well maybe we give it a try; just hate to book a flight or pull miles if she doesn't get it in time. Plus I have to find out where the dump is so I am ready for anything; lots of stress.

The concept of a physical passport is kinda crazy, like it's 2018 and I've got to carry this tiny book around that someone puts stamps in like it's 1965 in order to gain entry into another country and then back into my own.

Not every nation is riding high on the high tech wave, so I get the necessity, but it's certainly anachronistic - esp considering how easily forged they are (as per The Americans and Breaking Bad).

I barely (as in not really) trust Mericuhn government to get it right. And they fail at least ten percent of the time. Now you want me to trust some “computer guy” in Costa Rica, Panama or even Italy? Pass.

Most of Europe, Canada and Mexico and China also now require at least 6 month from expiration on passport to even visit. Once you get within a year of expiration id renew, this one almost cost me a trip as i’d never heard of this.

I just renewed my passport a couple weeks ago using the expedited option and got it in 10 days.

Most of Europe, Canada and Mexico and China also now require at least 6 month from expiration on passport to even visit.
I used to work in the Study Abroad field and we always advised all of our students and teachers, regardless of where they were going, of this 6-month rule. We just told them they couldn't travel at all if their passport was going to be 6 months or less from expiration by the time they traveled. Parents, and many times the teachers of the programs themselves, would try and push back on this, presumably b/c of the perceived hassle of renewing (it's really not that bad) and we would just be like...sorry, ain't going unless it's renewed.

Also, when you renew, it asks you when you have travel planned for. If you tell them 3 weeks, they'll make sure you've got it back in time via the expedited option.

Teach wife a lesson about keeping her stuff updated and take girlfriend.

/thread
Or just go workout and go to the dump. Went to Denmark and Germany in the last 2 months. Wife asked what did you see. I was like nothing; just don't care. Maybe I can get some former East German doctor to fix my shoulder while I am there.

Or just go workout and go to the dump. Went to Denmark and Germany in the last 2 months. Wife asked what did you see. I was like nothing; just don't care. Maybe I can get some former East German doctor to fix my shoulder while I am there.

Reactions: Wendy79
Do you really not care to see Denmark or Germany? Or do you just mean, it's not nearly as fun when you're by yourself? B/c I'm sort of that way when I travel for work. Go to Vegas for a conference...never leave the hotel. Go to Boston...go to dinner within a block of my hotel every night it seems, etc.

I think I might be more adventurous if I was traveling internationally though. But I guess you never know for sure till you do it.

Plus I have to find out where the dump is so I am ready for anything; lots of stress.

Or just go workout and go to the dump. Went to Denmark and Germany in the last 2 months. Wife asked what did you see. I was like nothing; just don't care.
Okay, I have to ask since you mentioned it twice..
Do you have some serious bowel issues or is the "dump" something other than the restroom at a restaurant with 2 stars on Yelp?

What ever it is, it does seem to be top of mind for you, though I suppose dumping is top of mind for most of us.

Do you really not care to see Denmark or Germany? Or do you just mean, it's not nearly as fun when you're by yourself? B/c I'm sort of that way when I travel for work. Go to Vegas for a conference...never leave the hotel. Go to Boston...go to dinner within a block of my hotel every night it seems, etc.

I think I might be more adventurous if I was traveling internationally though. But I guess you never know for sure till you do it.
I don't mind exploring alone at all. If it's a cool city - SF, for example - I'll try to get there a few days early and/or late. Now that we're empty nesters, my wife might start tagging along. Will still do some exploring, just without the coke and hookers.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I don't mind exploring alone at all. If it's a cool city - SF, for example - I'll try to get there a few days early and/or late. Now that we're empty nesters, my wife might start tagging along. Will still do some exploring, just without the coke and hookers.

But I thought you said that your wife was going to start tagging along.....heyyyyyyy nowwwww.

Okay, I have to ask since you mentioned it twice..
Do you have some serious bowel issues or is the "dump" something other than the restroom at a restaurant with 2 stars on Yelp?

What ever it is, it does seem to be top of mind for you, though I suppose dumping is top of mind for most of us.
Don't you remember his going to the dump story and some guy got road rage?

Reactions: FSUBigALNoles#1

Pretty much and I am tired my days are long and stressful. You are in town for a week and by the time you get comfy and acclimated it is time to go. I also like being by myself. Sure this will surprise everyone but I am mostly an introvert. Not to mention I have been all over the world and at some point you just don't care anymore; or at least I don't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT