ADVERTISEMENT

And so the Job Search Begins ....

jcostelojody1982

Star Player
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2007
Well it happened to me last Wednesday and I have been spent a few days piecing together the financial effect of my job loss (severance, health insurance, unemployment, etc.) and since Monday I have been contacting people and working the standard sites, i.e. Monster, CareerBuilder, Indeed as well as some that I was previously unaware of.

I know I am not alone, but I figured I would throw out a line and see what happens. I am a 30 plus year Procurement/Purchasing/Supply Chain professional and live in the Jacksonville area.

If you can help or have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Go Noles!

Well it happened to me last Wednesday and I have been spent a few days piecing together the financial effect of my job loss (severance, health insurance, unemployment, etc.) and since Monday I have been contacting people and working the standard sites, i.e. Monster, CareerBuilder, Indeed as well as some that I was previously unaware of.

I know I am not alone, but I figured I would throw out a line and see what happens. I am a 30 plus year Procurement/Purchasing/Supply Chain professional and live in the Jacksonville area.

If you can help or have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Go Noles!

Welp, that all sucks. How does your previous employer intend to fill your experience when the economy rebounds? I wish you nothing but the best. I retired at 56 with a full pension, I couldn’t imagine getting a resume together, going to interviews....ooof.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcostelojody1982
I’d agree with this. I tend to think Monster and career builder are basically like Hail Marys.
I've been an IT recruiter for almost 20 years here I'm NY. My advice would be create a profile if you haven't, then connect with everyone you know. When looking for jobs posted on LinkedIn, see if you have a contact that works there, even if they are in a different department. They can find out where your resume needs to go. If you just submit it, there is a pretty good chance it never gets seen.

Welp, that all sucks. How does your previous employer intend to fill your experience. When the economy rebounds? I wish you nothing but the best. I retired at 56 with a full pension, I couldn’t imagine getting a resume together, going to interviews....ooof.

I am on Linkedin and have rebuilt my profile. I definitely do not look forward to the interview process, but I need to work for at least a few more years, so unless someone can expedite the process, it is my lot in life for hopefully just the short term.

I have some interest already, but I just don't want to take a job for the sake of being employed quickly. I will definitely perform my due diligence, but then again who could have predicted the Coronavirus.

Go Noles

I am on Linkedin and have rebuilt my profile. I definitely do not look forward to the interview process, but I need to work for at least a few more years, so unless someone can expedite the process, it is my lot in life for hopefully just the short term.

I have some interest already, but I just don't want to take a job for the sake of being employed quickly. I will definitely perform my due diligence, but then again who could have predicted the Coronavirus.

Go Noles
If you can land a job quickly and it's in the range you need to make, take it. You can always continue to look, but don't get caught out in the cold while 30M Americans are also unemployed. Put yourself before the company.

Last edited:
If you can land a job quickly and it's in the range you need to make, take it. You can always continue to look, but don't get caught out in the cold while 30M Americans are also unemployed. Put yourself before the company.

Absolutely... Take what you can get but then keep looking if it's not what you want. At least with large companies there is no loyalty to the employees, the contracts have clauses saying either side can terminate for any reason.

Good luck to you! Sounds like you're in logistics? Jax is a major city for that industry, as I'm sure you know.
Hope you find a spot to land quickly.

As an IT recruiter myself I completely agree with this. You owe no allegiance to any company. Your loyalty only lies with your family and wallet. Take a job and keep looking.

Also, look for recruiters in your field and connect with them.

As an IT recruiter myself I completely agree with this. You owe no allegiance to any company. Your loyalty only lies with your family and wallet. Take a job and keep looking.

Also, look for recruiters in your field and connect with them.
What market are you in? Do you work with a large firm?

Reactions: Random_John
That's Awesome. I hope she really enjoys it. What will she be doing?
Sr. HR Business Partner. Seems like there is a lot of upward mobility potential. Most of the people she interviewed with were either really inexperienced, or had only been with the company a year or two even in senior level roles.

Sr. HR Business Partner. Seems like there is a lot of upward mobility potential. Most of the people she interviewed with were either really inexperienced, or had only been with the company a year or two even in senior level roles.

That sounds right. The company is growing rapidly and as such no one stays put for long. They either get plucked for advancement in other divisions or other big companies come calling.

That sounds right. The company is growing rapidly and as such no one stays put for long. They either get plucked for advancement in other divisions or other big companies come calling.
I can absolutely see that. She literally updated her LinkedIn profile and all of a sudden recruiters were coming out of the woodwork lol
Do you recruit for a specific vertical within the business?

I can absolutely see that. She literally updated her LinkedIn profile and all of a sudden recruiters were coming out of the woodwork lol
Do you recruit for a specific vertical within the business?

I recruit Sr. Engineers (Big Data, Analytics, DB's, Security, Linux, DevOps, Mobile Developers, Windows, Storage, and Network).

Well I figured it was time to follow-up on my Job Search (It has been 4 months now). I still have not secured a position and although I have spoken to both numerous internal and external recruiters, I have not really come close to getting an offer.

A recurring theme has been "overqualified" and income level is out of range. I would have never believed that 4 months into the process, I would not be any closer to securing a position, but that is where I am right now.

In my mind, I need to be gainfully employed by November 1st, more for the benefits side than the fiscal side. I again throw out a lifeline and welcome any suggestions or help from my fellow Noles.

Thank you and Go Noles!

Well I figured it was time to follow-up on my Job Search (It has been 4 months now). I still have not secured a position and although I have spoken to both numerous internal and external recruiters, I have not really come close to getting an offer.

A recurring theme has been "overqualified" and income level is out of range. I would have never believed that 4 months into the process, I would not be any closer to securing a position, but that is where I am right now.

In my mind, I need to be gainfully employed by November 1st, more for the benefits side than the fiscal side. I again throw out a lifeline and welcome any suggestions or help from my fellow Noles.

Thank you and Go Noles!

Have you applied to Amazon for anything?

No I have not. We do have (2) facilities here in Jacksonville, but many jobs are of the $15 per hour variety. Any insight?

Thank you!

Thank you and Go Noles!

Have you thought of working for the government either Federal or State? Your line of work is always in high demand in government. The salary may not meet your expectations. However, the benefits will often exceed the private sector. Might be something to look into. At least to get you a paycheck and continue your insurance while you continue to pursue work in the private sector for the greater salary.

I have applied to the Navy as well as the local and state entities. I have submitted about (25) resume/apps.

the Navy is a definite no-go as no military background has eliminated me from each submission. I probably have 8-10 state or local gigs still “open”.

I have been pursuing that angle as I know the benefits and work stress levels would probably be beneficial.

Reactions: Scalphunter
Thank you! (23) positions in Jacksonville, but only a few newer than 3 months, so I will continue to monitor.
Apply anyway regardless of how old the jobs are. They literally cannot find enough good people to meet the growth they are experiencing. I cannot attest to your specific market, but it certainly can't hurt. Anything you qualify for you should apply to.

Apply anyway regardless of how old the jobs are. They literally cannot find enough good people to meet the growth they are experiencing. I cannot attest to your specific market, but it certainly can't hurt. Anything you qualify for you should apply to.
Thanks again.

Reactions: nynole1
I have applied to the Navy as well as the local and state entities. I have submitted about (25) resume/apps.

the Navy is a definite no-go as no military background has eliminated me from each submission. I probably have 8-10 state or local gigs still “open”.

I have been pursuing that angle as I know the benefits and work stress levels would probably be beneficial.

I wouldn’t recommend trying to get a civil service job (one that’s decent) without being prior military, however if you can find a contractor job with the military that could be a great way in, if they like you they’ll figure out a way to hire you as a civil servant.

Have you checked out NASA? Lots of logistics in building loads for the space station and what not.

Have you thought about relocating? I don't know what industry you were in but the defense industry here in Huntsville has so many jobs that they can't fill them. It's a beautiful up-and-coming city that pays very well and the cost of living is cheaper than Jacksonville (I was stationed there). I left the Panhandle about 2 years ago and my salary has increased 80% already. Obviously if you're not willing to relocate you just have to keep hitting those job boards. Things will work out. Keep your chin up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT