ADVERTISEMENT

Any posters on here work closely with the development of College Town?

12Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2013
Just wondering how this project is going, has the hype wore off, should we expect to see any traditional college bars pop up in the area?

It seems more like Alumni Town than it does College Town. I guess I was hoping it would resemble more of Athens & Austin when it was first announced.

Just wondering how this project is going, has the hype wore off, should we expect to see any traditional college bars pop up in the area?

It seems more like Alumni Town than it does College Town. I guess I was hoping it would resemble more of Athens & Austin when it was first announced.
Just ask Jerry or Jam, since the boosters are heavily involved.

I have enjoyed going to Madison Social and think the area looks a lot better than it did before. I would like to see more bars and restaurants open up, and hopefully it continues to make the game day experience better. I even looked into purchasing a condo at Railyard Lofts, but I felt it's too pricey for Tallahassee. The good news for the project is that many don't feel that way, so hopefully they are sold out.

Last edited:
They are currently building Phase II. I doubt they would have even considered a phase II let alone start building it if it was anything short of a success.

Reactions: Sawyer55
I have enjoyed going to Madison Social and think the are looks a lot better than it did before. I would like to see more bars and restaurants open up, and hopefully it continues to make the game area better. I even looked into purchasing a condo at Railyard Lofts, but I felt it's too pricey for Tallahassee. The good news for the project is that many don't feel that way, so hopefully they are sold out.

I enjoy Madison, just wish there were more options to grab a beer from. I would like to see a beer garden go in across from Madison & a hole in the wall type bar.

Get a cleaner bourbon street feel to the place. Close off traffic & have beer vendors on the street during home games.

Reactions: Seminole'13
I enjoy Madison, just wish there were more options to grab a beer from. I would like to see a beer garden go in across from Madison & a hole in the wall type bar.

Get a cleaner bourbon street feel to the place. Close off traffic & have beer vendors on the street during home games.
There is no doubt that more options would be better. I still say that the initial phase has made the game experience better for me.

As you said, I want more though. I would like to have enough bars/ restaurants to not leave the area if I get sick of Mad So.

They are currently building Phase II. I doubt they would have even considered a phase II let alone start building it if it was anything short of a success.

I believe the success they're having is selling out the student housing in the area. Which I'm assuming Phase II will be more of. Just hoping we see more bars & restaurants that are affordable to college students.

We never got a clear answer on what happened to America's Backyard backing out last minute. Now that area just sits as a parking lot.

The Gaines Street area in general certainly has more than just Madison Social, but there is indeed more to come in that area.

With regards to "Alumni Town" vs. College Town, I know that it was much to the dismay of some of the businesses going into that area that it was even called College Town. I get wanting to have some places that fit better with a college student budget, but those places also don't exactly scream family friendly or a appeal greatly to those older than maybe 24. If you're a place like Madison Social you want to keep making money when it isn't football season and through the summer, so the wider-ranging customer base you can have, the better. That's one reason why they are always involved with community events, from youth sports to guest bartenders. Having the name College Town in and of itself can be a hurdle to say, "This isn't just another version of The Strip."

That was a long-winded way of saying there's more to come but I'm not holding my breath for dollar beers. Cheers!

The Gaines Street area in general certainly has more than just Madison Social, but there is indeed more to come in that area.

With regards to "Alumni Town" vs. College Town, I know that it was much to the dismay of some of the businesses going into that area that it was even called College Town. I get wanting to have some places that fit better with a college student budget, but those places also don't exactly scream family friendly or a appeal greatly to those older than maybe 24. If you're a place like Madison Social you want to keep making money when it isn't football season and through the summer, so the wider-ranging customer base you can have, the better. That's one reason why they are always involved with community events, from youth sports to guest bartenders. Having the name College Town in and of itself can be a hurdle to say, "This isn't just another version of The Strip."

That was a long-winded way of saying there's more to come but I'm not holding my breath for dollar beers. Cheers!

You're telling me businesses were in dismay over the name college town in an area with 30,000 students? I was wondering why Ruth Chris & Berns never opened up shop.

Dollar beers? Man I miss Kens on a Thursday night....loading up on whiskey & cokes for $1 or $10 AYCD at Bullwinkles.

We need Momos, Crepe Vine, Gordos, Proof Brewing, Kens, Standard, etc. like that to really give people the college atmosphere. Mix in some of the nice places for your older crowd.

You're telling me businesses were in dismay over the name college town in an area with 30,000 students? I was wondering why Ruth Chris & Berns never opened up shop.

Dollar beers? Man I miss Kens on a Thursday night....loading up on whiskey & cokes for $1 or $10 AYCD at Bullwinkles.

We need Momos, Crepe Vine, Gordos, Proof Brewing, Kens, Standard, etc. like that to really give people the college atmosphere. Mix in some of the nice places for your older crowd.

Haha man I was a Kens warrior myself! I still drop by Poor Paul's every now and again to spin that damn wheel. Just passing along information. Trust me, if a place with a killer drink special wants to make a home in that area I won't be complaining.

The other thing I would think about, and this is mostly anecdotal, is that if you're a business wanting to locate in that area and hundreds upon hundreds of new housing units are selling out with students paying north of $600/month per person, you may try to get away with selling a more expensive product.

Reactions: 12Nole
I believe the success their having is selling out the student housing in the area. Which I'm assuming Phase II will be more of. Just hoping we see more bars & restaurants that are affordable to college students.

We never got a clear answer on what happened to America's Backyard backing out last minute. Now that area just sits as a parking lot.

It is becoming Phase 2 as we speak, no longer a parking lot.

I have heard there is a beer garden going in Phase 2.

Gaines Streetish area already has Brass tap, Proof, and Grasslands.

Reactions: 12Nole
It's doing great, Phase 2 is well underway and being built on the land where America's Backyard was initially planned. It's a huge project and I'm sure will evolve. It has also spurred massive development of Gaines St.

Don't make me wait & see. Will this new development replace America Backyard as another entertainment venue or will it be more student housing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Love MadSo, Cantina next door and Brass Tap over on the next block. Look forward to more beer drinking spots with great food and craft beers.

Don't make me wait & see. Will this new development replace America Backyard as another entertainment venue or will it be more student housing?

I have no idea whats going in for retail but there will be condos for the public to buy in phase 2. They have the walls standing on phase 2, I was gone from Tallahassee for 2 weeks after the UF game and cant believe how much it expanded in that time. I can't believe I didn't take pictures and post, I will be back for the North Carolina game on the 4th of January and take some pictures of the progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea whats going in for retail but there will be condos for the public to buy in phase 2. They have the walls standing on phase 2, I was gone from Tallahassee for 2 weeks after the UF game and cant believe how much it expanded in that time. I can't believe I didn't take pictures and post, I will be back for the North Carolina game on the 4th of January and take some pictures of the progress.
Phase II has retail, bars, and restaurants on the first floor and apartments ( no condos) on the second, third, fourth and fifth floors. All set for opening in August, 2016 . Nearly 380 students (or others) will be living in Phases I and II in August.) There will be plenty of new variety to complement the current bars and food in Phase I. And we will really have the feel of an entertainment district with activity on both sides of Madison Street. A very large parking deck is under construction immediately south of and adjacent to current Phase I. Collegetown has also really ignited many new entertainment venues which are doing well along Gaines Street, as well as over 2,200 student residences. There has been a remarkable transformation of the area in just three years.

No offense to anyone but besides Madison Social and Gaines Street Pies, retail/ restaurant has really struggled down there.

If you want cheap beer- it's coming because rents are compressing. Not enough traffic to support the amount of retail being developed. Doesn't really matter as this is all about apartments anyway.

When you can charge $800 per month per room - the commercial component is just a side show.

Phase II has retail, bars, and restaurants on the first floor and apartments ( no condos) on the second, third, fourth and fifth floors. All set for opening in August, 2016 . Nearly 380 students (or others) will be living in Phases I and II in August.) There will be plenty of new variety to complement the current bars and food in Phase I. And we will really have the feel of an entertainment district with activity on both sides of Madison Street. A very large parking deck is under construction immediately south of and adjacent to current Phase I. Collegetown has also really ignited many new entertainment venues which are doing well along Gaines Street, as well as over 2,200 student residences. There has been a remarkable transformation of the area in just three years.

Any word on what bars and restaurants? Wasn't there talk and plans for Phase 3?

Thanks for the info.

I like the concept of bars/retail on the bottom floor and then condo's on up. Great way to diversify revenue coming in.

No offense to anyone but besides Madison Social and Gaines Street Pies, retail/ restaurant has really struggled down there.

If you want cheap beer- it's coming because rents are compressing. Not enough traffic to support the amount of retail being developed. Doesn't really matter as this is all about apartments anyway.

When you can charge $800 per month per room - the commercial component is just a side show.

I really hope it doesnt affect places like Brass Tap. Granted I imagine a lot of the business for these type places is game or event weekend based, kinda like here and Mardi Gras for the downtown area.

Any one know know know what the status if the hotel by the civic center and the entertainment district that was proposed?

Walk a little bit further down Gaines and there is a Brass Taps. Pretty good selection of beer and good food too.

Walk a little bit further down Gaines and there is a Brass Taps. Pretty good selection of beer and good food too.

Yeah with only 2 bartenders working the entire thing. I'm sober by time I get my second beer.

I like the place though if I'm not trying to pound beers.

Yeah with only 2 bartenders working the entire thing. I'm sober by time I get my second beer.

If you want to pound beers, go around the corner to The Palace. I don't see any beer pounding type places opening up in College Town. The rent doesn't support such a concept.

In the times I have been on Gaines, there has been a pretty good mixture of college/young professionals enjoying themselves.

Reactions: MobileAlNole

I think you just like to complain. Been in there 5 game weekends this year, night before games and after games. Their service has been great. Halloween night was a blast, crowded, and we never had an empty glass. Spent the night running thru their pale ale and IPA lists. Plus you can grab a growler to go.

I think you just like to complain. Been in there 5 game weekends this year, night before games and after games. Their service has been great. Halloween night was a blast, crowded, and we never had an empty glass. Spent the night running thru their pale ale and IPA lists. Plus you can grab a growler to go.

Complain? No just call things like I see it. Sorry you disagree.

Glad to see so many folks getting involved in the area. A couple notes:

1. Madison Social (us), GrassLands, BrassTap, and Proof have formulated the "Tallahassee Brew District" and have been programming the area to bounce people around the area. Some of you that come to Tallahassee outside of football season feel free to schedule a visit when we do something. So far we did the Tallahassee Beer Mile run in August with 900 participants and a holiday pub crawl for charity that has nearly 500. Pretty awesome.

2. The project across the street from Madison Social is ours. We are working on a final name and concept, but beer garden-esque is safe to say. One thing you have to remember is that we have to be built for game days so having extremely rare brews in house and on tap isn't really feasible but we can maintain a balance.

Any questions, feel free to email matt@madisonsocial.com.

Reactions: 12Nole and Sawyer55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT