ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone hear Ira on Nole Headlines re: Lawing and pass rush?

Shade Tree 55

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2010
Tampa
Some good nuggets. He said the players love Lawing. Damarcus Walker apparently said Lawing has already taught him some technique things that help his pass rush ability.

He also mentioned that he heard Kelly say something along the lines of "that's why we can't get a pass rush, because you do things like that," to one of the ends. This goes hand in hand with what I've been saying for a while. The lack of pass rush was partially some scheme, but I think a lot of people are in denial about the talent level of our upperclassmen at the position. If you didn't know how many stars they had in high school, would you watch them and say they're really talented?

Cameron mentioned that he's fairly certain Jimbo was using a boatload of coach speak when he mentioned the pass was subdued because they had to keep mobile QBs in the pocket. Of course a balance has to be struck between getting up the field and containing the pocket, but there's no way the results last year were what the actual design was. The lack of ability at the position made it worse.

I'm glad to hear Lawing is having an impact, it's needed. The sophomores provide athleticism that we really lack, them getting more reps plus Lawing impacting Walker and Casher (if he can ever stay healthy) should make a difference this year.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.