ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone seen the YETI commercial...

Buddy Green

Contributor
Sep 17, 2014
That's using "A Thousand Miles From Nowhere" by Dwight Yoakam?

Why, Dwight, why? That's not only my favorite DY song, but probably one of my five favorite C&W songs ever! I sat speechless and wanted to cry when I saw that commercial last weekend for the first time. Its been bad enough hearing commercials with Beatles songs since MJ died and Prince songs since he passed, but to hear one of my favorite songs bastardized like that is almost too much. He wrote it and owns the rights, so he sold it. Why?!?!?!?

That's using "A Thousand Miles From Nowhere" by Dwight Yoakam?

Why, Dwight, why? That's not only my favorite DY song, but probably one of my five favorite C&W songs ever! I sat speechless and wanted to cry when I saw that commercial last weekend for the first time. Its been bad enough hearing commercials with Beatles songs since MJ died and Prince songs since he passed, but to hear one of my favorite songs bastardized like that is almost too much. He wrote it and owns the rights, so he sold it. Why?!?!?!?
I looked it up. I don't particularly care for the cover either. And as for why he sold it? $$$$$$.

Reactions: seminole97
Its called the art of selling out.
1*i1O4dkd1AqeDbjee8DotTA.jpeg

Utilize the mute button if it drives you crazy. The taboo of "selling out" your music no longer exists. Dwight obviously needs more cash before he can finally (and surgically) transform into Tom Petty.

Reactions: LandsharkNole
I’m sorry you disagree. It’s genuinely nothing personal. I can’t help that you have horrendous taste in music though. (Shrugs)

Oh, I don't take it personal. Just makes me laugh. Comparing Dwight Yoakam to a clown performer like Toby Keith tells me you don't have a clue about music. Adding in about the "History" of music makes it , literally, the silliest thing I've ever read in the LR. Again...congrats. I love absurd humour.

Oh, I don't take it personal. Just makes me laugh. Comparing Dwight Yoakam to a clown performer like Toby Keith tells me you don't have a clue about music. Adding in about the "History" of music makes it , literally, the silliest thing I've ever read in the LR. Again...congrats. I love absurd humour.
Happy to entertain you and your crappy music taste.

Dwight Yoakam is EASILY the worst act I’ve ever seen live. I wish I could unsee his performance.

But hey, as I told you, he ain’t as bad as Toby Keith, who IS an abomination and an offense to all things music.

I’m sorry you disagree. It’s genuinely nothing personal. I can’t help that you have horrendous taste in music though. (Shrugs)

Bakersfield country, which is what DY moved into, is considered one of three main styles of country music. DY is a pretty talented artist. I even partial to his rendition of Walk-in the Streets of Bakersfield.

Les....since you seem stuck on the "worst act I've seen live".....have you listened to his studio recordings or are you basing your opinion of him on "one bad off"? I ask this because the worst performance I've ever seen live is.........Dwight Yoakam at Rupp Arena around 2004 or so. I saw him live before and since but everyone has an off night. His studio recordings makes him one of the most important musical artists of the late 20th century. Fact.

I’m just going off of what I saw live, once.

2011 (I think) at DeLuna Fest in Pensacola.

Seriously, it was so bad I had to look away.

Admittedly, I am not a country fan of any kind, but even still he seemed especially cheesy and talentless. I’ve truly never seen any performance that bad.

I’m just going off of what I saw live, once.

2011 (I think) at DeLuna Fest in Pensacola.

Seriously, it was so bad I had to look away.

Admittedly, I am not a country fan of any kind, but even still he seemed especially cheesy and talentless. I’ve truly never seen any performance that bad.

Fair enough. I encourage you to listen to the albums "If there was a way", "This Time" and the acoustic "dwightyoakamacoustic.net". Listen to some or all. Trust me, I know music and as I see it , there's good and bad and that's the only two distinctions I see. No other. He is good. Very good. You might be enlightened if you give it a chance. I shouldn't have been demeaning earlier.

Reactions: Sand_Salt
Fair enough. I encourage you to listen to the albums "If there was a way", "This Time" and the acoustic "dwightyoakamacoustic.net". Listen to some or all. Trust me, I know music and as I see it , there's good and bad and that's the only two distinctions I see. No other. He is good. Very good. You might be enlightened if you give it a chance. I shouldn't have been demeaning earlier.
I’ll give it a chance. I promise. And if I hear something that changes my tune, I’ll come back and post here about it.

Cheers!

DY’s “suspicious minds” cover is pretty damn good. Also, not sure why there is TK hate, dude puts on a great show, I’ve seen him a few times, once was in Iraq, dude would tour with the USO for three weeks every year, so I have an incredible amount of respect for him.

DY’s “suspicious minds” cover is pretty damn good. Also, not sure why there is TK hate, dude puts on a great show, I’ve seen him a few times, once was in Iraq, dude would tour with the USO for three weeks every year, so I have an incredible amount of respect for him.
I think the WWE supports and participates in the USO too. I'm happy that they do but it doesn't make me a fan of wrestling.

Likewise, while Toby Keith's support of the USO is appreciated, it's not going to make me a fan of unlistenable music.

Its called the art of selling out.

I've always admired Tom Waits for being one of the few artists with the integrity not to do this. From everything I've read, he's very very selective about who can use his music and to what end. It was sort of depressing to see Bob Dylan hawking underwear and cars in SuperBowl ads at 70 years old.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT