ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching "Alone" on History?

Osceola1728

Starter
Mar 29, 2002
Me and my two boys love it. Seems to be the real deal. Some of those guys are scared shartless. Anyway, it will tie me over till football starts.

I've been watching it. I really like the concept but wonder how much quality footage they can really expect to get being self-filmed. Not sure how many episodes are planned, but will be interesting to see how they flesh it out given how fast the contestants are tapping out. Luck of the draw re: campsite location seems to be the biggest factor and obviously the guys that can reliably make fire are going to last longer (is that all of the remaining now?). I think the one guy who was smart enough to bring a tin in which to pre-char his fire tinder has a strong leg up (although isn't he the one with a cougar prowling around camp?) That young guy from Nebraska (Sam?) seems to have no worries whatsoever and actually appears to be enjoying the whole thing. I put my money on one of those 2 at this point, although the Georgia guy wouldn't surprise me.

I'm really enjoying the show so far. Although I would have tapped out after the first night without a fire, I was shocked the one dude didn't do more to ensure he had clean water. That was a rookie mistake.

I really like the concept but wonder how much quality footage they can really expect to get being self-filmed. Not sure how many episodes are planned, but will be interesting to see how they flesh it out given how fast the contestants are tapping out. Luck of the draw re: campsite location seems to be the biggest factor and obviously the guys that can reliably make fire are going to last longer (is that all of the remaining now?). I think the one guy who was smart enough to bring a tin in which to pre-char his fire tinder has a strong leg up (although isn't he the one with a cougar prowling around camp?) That young guy from Nebraska (Sam?) seems to have no worries whatsoever and actually appears to be enjoying the whole thing. I put my money on one of those 2 at this point, although the Georgia guy wouldn't surprise me.

Mitch, the guy who made a boat to relocate and used his Altoids tin to create char cloth seems to be the most 'with it', but after the first episode I had my money the Spectrum Sam because (so long as you can find water and make a fire) attitude is winning this contest, and he seems to be having a good time, not simply enduring. Absurd he's doing this while his wife is pregnant with their first child, but if he takes home the $500k that would be a nice start on life.

The guy who was drinking salt water with a trace of dead fish was whining too early. I knew he was toast. That it was days into the show before he trekked what appeared to be a few hundred yards from his camp site to find out his water supply was actually a tidal pool doesn't speak highly of him.

I had high hopes for Joe as he seemed to have a good plan too but once he lost the fire rod, it was over for him.

I was shocked to see that half of the people tapped out after a week when they were allowed to bring a bag full of supplies. Hell, people on Naked and Afraid last longer than that with nothing but a knife and a flint. One guy quit because the trees were swaying? Really? Where did they find these people?

Reactions: noleclone2
I was shocked to see that half of the people tapped out after a week when they were allowed to bring a bag full of supplies. Hell, people on Naked and Afraid last longer than that with nothing but a knife and a flint. One guy quit because the trees were swaying? Really? Where did they find these people?
I agree. I am by no means a well trained outdoors survivor type, but I would like to think that knowing I would be on TV and 500K was at stake, I could make it a handful of days out there. Some of them were pathetic. One thing I notice the drop off locations were not equal (some were great others not so great). The ones in bad spots did not really do much to get out of the crappy location. If you know you get dropped off near bears, pack up and move somewhere else. If you are worried about trees falling on your head, set a temporary smaller shelter under a rock alcove or in sparsely treed area. Not that hard. For me, I know the water is tempting, but my arse would be perched on some high ground. That would have been my first move.

Yeah, my wife was laughing. She said if I was allowed to fill a backpack full of stuff it would be no different than any other vacation that I used to take. She said they'd have to force me to leave. Now that's a bit of a stretch, but I'd certainly cruise thru the first week even now that I'm older and fatter and I don't have "survivalist" on my resume.

Those first few days looked tough. Cold, wet, no fire, pathetic shelters and you are part of the food chain with no defenses. But, the remaining guys are getting settled in nicely. Now they just have to maintain their mental state. My money is still on the dude from Iowa. He built a boat!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT