ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently, when ESPN got the CBS SEC Game of the Week, this started the current expansion

northvanole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
May 2, 2003
In December, in the middle of the pandemic, ESPN found time to close a deal to get the SEC Game of the Week. The SEC was getting $51M a year from CBS; ESPN offered $300M. I wrote months ago that this would have an impact on how much bandwidth ESPN had for its "other" all ESPN network...the ACC. Apparently, there were other conferences that got concerned. In May, in light of the new ESPN SEC deal, the Big 12 went to ESPN and FOX to begin early negotiations for its own TV contract that expires with the 2025 season. ESPN and FOX refused to begin negotiations. That set off a lot of warning lights. ESPN is a major player in early playoff expansion because they will have to paid off in order to begin the 12 team playoff earlier than 2027 (when the current 4 team TV contract ends). And FOX wants to become a major player in the expanded playoffs as it is doubtful that any one network will get the whole 12 team contract. All the discussion about an expanded playoff system started in May. And according to Andy Staples and others, this is when UT and OU reached to the SEC (and perhaps the ACC).

Rumors are running rampant that there is an "emergency" meeting of the Big 12 AD's later today. That may or may not be true, but this is accelerating at a fast pace. The Aggies are working hard to block it, but they need to get a grip. They are not a charter member of the SEC, and if Bama, Auburn, LSU, UF and UGA support this, the Aggies will have to stand down. I find it comical that Missouri may fight it as well. Legal challenges may begin. Baylor may sue UT and OU the same way that UConn sued BC to prevent the Eagles from going to the ACC. UConn?....I faintly remember that team.

All the pundits are now trying to predict the collateral effects, i.e. what do the other conferences do and what happens to the remaining members of the Big 12? (I call them the Little 8).

I would find this amusing if I wasn't so concerned about us. New ACC AD commish made a comment months ago about reaching out to UT and OU. I guess it didn't work out. I wonder how long before we get the back story on that one.

How much of this was engineered by ESPN and FOX? Both FOX and ESPN have rights to broadcast B12 sports, but FOX has most of the better football games. How can they be quiet if UT and OU go to SECESPN?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.