ADVERTISEMENT

Atlanta - Tips/Suggestions

TripTych

Starter
Apr 22, 2003
ATLIENS! I'm coming up to your traffic-infested city for the game in a couple weeks. Where should I stay (don't want to get shot), where should I eat (don't like lemon pepper wings), can someone show me where Baby Driver was filmed, what about checking out some houses on Flip or Flop: Atlanta, is Buckhead still the place to go to bars, you guys fix that bridge yet, last time i came up i went to virginia highlands (still cool?), falcons got curb stomped in the super bowl (too early?), where can i scalp some tickets, ya'll still have confederate guys on stone mountain, where's 2chainz trap house at, why do they not have tacos at tacomac? thanks HOTlanta.

Ladybird is a nice time. I hang around Midtown area more now than Buckhead when I visit. Although its fun to watch games at Ivy

I'm still curious why the stadium is named Mercedes Benz Stadium. I would've thought Ford or Chevrolet would me be more appropriate.

Choose your location with caution.

AT9l2La.jpg

ATLIENS! I'm coming up to your traffic-infested city for the game in a couple weeks. Where should I stay (don't want to get shot), where should I eat (don't like lemon pepper wings), can someone show me where Baby Driver was filmed, what about checking out some houses on Flip or Flop: Atlanta, is Buckhead still the place to go to bars, you guys fix that bridge yet, last time i came up i went to virginia highlands (still cool?), falcons got curb stomped in the super bowl (too early?), where can i scalp some tickets, ya'll still have confederate guys on stone mountain, where's 2chainz trap house at, why do they not have tacos at tacomac? thanks HOTlanta.

I don't think your target audience would know to ask about the Trap House.

Very thorough otherwise.

Just got back from the open house. Delta Sky Club is legit. Looking forward to taking in some games there. Section 130C, row 9.

h5NAoxs_d.jpg

Tacomac is the WORST. So overrated.. and like OP said, where are the freakin tacos?!
It's closer to crApplebees than Mexican food.

Yardhouse is also an unpleasant experience in my book. What an overrated chain of generic sports bars.

Ponce City Mkt, Krog St Mkt, Inman Park, Edgewood, Little Five are my go tos. Not in that order.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I have a friend who lives up there and he said all of the locals eat at some off the grid burger joint called the Varsity. Might want to check that out or possibly grab a steak at Alluvia.

There's a Chipotle off Howell Mill, I suggest hightailing it there immediately after the game before it gets packed.

Also there's a Sport Clips nearby, def worth stopping by.

I basically lived in ATL in the early 2000s and always thought Taco Mac had great wings, maybe that's changed this decade. When Ive been back recently in the downtown area Vortex and Grindhouse are good for burgers and bar food. Fox bros, Community, and Grand Champion were all pretty good bbq.

Dont be afraid to venture out for some soul food, there's this place that used to be near Marrietta st downtown that had a killer meat and 3 served cafeteria style back in the day.

I was just in ATL this weekend as we were going to bolt up to Anderson SC for the eclipse. I have to say I REALLY enjoyed the Brush Izakaya. It was the best izakaya (pretty authentic other than rich white yuppies sampling the authentic food rather than drunk Japanese salarymen) and yakitori I've been to that wasn't in the Left Coast and probably the best Japanese restaurant I've been to east of the Rockies other than a fantastic one in Portland Maine. I even had a cousin who married a Japanese woman and lives in Tokyo comment on my pics that he was amazed at how authentic the food looked compared to the typical "sushi" or "Japanese steakhouse".

For the yakitori and other grilled items they use a robata grill that uses the authentic Japanese white coals that get ridiculously hot with no chemical or overpowering smoke smell or taste. The seafood was all either live (scallops, oysters, shrimp and clams all still living) or else imported direct from the Tokyo fish market (I got some great iwashi that was super buttery and no fishy flavor).

So if you want a 95-99% authentic Japanese izakaya with great yakitori and seafood dishes and a huge selection of Japanese Scotches including ultra high end 24+ year old stuff, then hit up Brush Izakaya.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Taco Mac is great if you want to watch tv and don't mind mediocre food and poor service. I live a mile from the Downtown Decatur one and I think I've been there twice in the 3 1/2 years we've lived here. It's too bad, because it could be a fun place, but the dining experience just sucks. But they've been around Atlanta for as long as I've lived in the area ('95) and it's always been the same regardless of location.

I was just in ATL this weekend as we were going to bolt up to Anderson SC for the eclipse. I have to say I REALLY enjoyed the Brush Izakaya. It was the best izakaya (pretty authentic other than rich white yuppies sampling the authentic food rather than drunk Japanese salarymen) and yakitori I've been to that wasn't in the Left Coast and probably the best Japanese restaurant I've been to east of the Rockies other than a fantastic one in Portland Maine. I even had a cousin who married a Japanese woman and lives in Tokyo comment on my pics that he was amazing at how authentic the food looked compared to the typical "sushi" or "Japanese steakhouse".

For the yakitori and other grilled items they use a robata grill that uses the authentic Japanese white coals that get ridiculously hot with no chemical or overpowering smoke smell or taste. The seafood was all either live (scallops, oysters, shrimp and clams all still living) or else imported direct from the Tokyo fish market (I got some great iwashi that was super buttery and no fishy flavor).

So if you want a 95-99% authentic Japanese izakaya with great yakitori and seafood dishes and a huge selection of Japanese Scotches including ultra high end 24+ year old stuff, then hit up Brush Izakaya.
So that's why I felt a disturbance in the force! I thought it was the eclipse...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Taco Mac is great if you want to watch tv and don't mind mediocre food and poor service. I live a mile from the Downtown Decatur one and I think I've been there twice in the 3 1/2 years we've lived here. It's too bad, because it could be a fun place, but the dining experience just sucks. But they've been around Atlanta for as long as I've lived in the area ('95) and it's always been the same regardless of location.
What part of town are you in? Live about a mile from the decatur one as well. Agree with extremely mediocre service at Taco Mac for about average food; it's kinda like Taqueria Del Sol in that the food might not be as amazing as its cult following makes it seem. Count me in that Taqueria cult though.

What part of town are you in? Live about a mile from the decatur one as well. Agree with extremely mediocre service at Taco Mac for about average food; it's kinda like Taqueria Del Sol in that the food might not be as amazing as its cult following makes it seem. Count me in that Taqueria cult though.
I live in Decatur Heights, Sycamore Drive. You? And agree on Taqueria Del Sol as well. I think it's ok, but the artificially long lines always irked me and the food isn't good enough to make up for that.

I live in Decatur Heights, Sycamore Drive. You? And agree on Taqueria Del Sol as well. I think it's ok, but the artificially long lines always irked me and the food isn't good enough to make up for that.
Glenwood Estates, right by Glenwood Elementary off of Ponce

I basically lived in ATL in the early 2000s and always thought Taco Mac had great wings, maybe that's changed this decade. When Ive been back recently in the downtown area Vortex and Grindhouse are good for burgers and bar food. Fox bros, Community, and Grand Champion were all pretty good bbq.

Dont be afraid to venture out for some soul food, there's this place that used to be near Marrietta st downtown that had a killer meat and 3 served cafeteria style back in the day.

What was it like living in the airport?

Bunch of suburbanites.

Taqueria is good, but not worth the line. Taco Mac is just not good.

The "cult" I do not get is Flying Biscuit. Why people line up there for an hour is beyond me.

As to Brush, I prefer Miso. But Brush is a good choice out in Decatur.

Decatur is ITP, bro. But I admit it's become the suburbs minus the subdivisions and commute. Still walkable and close to public transit. You gotta make some concessions when you procreate.

Bunch of suburbanites.

Taqueria is good, but not worth the line. Taco Mac is just not good.

The "cult" I do not get is Flying Biscuit. Why people line up there for an hour is beyond me.

As to Brush, I prefer Miso. But Brush is a good choice out in Decatur.

I'm about 3 miles from Morninside, dude. Isn't that your intown suburb of choice?

ATLIENS! I'm coming up to your traffic-infested city for the game in a couple weeks. Where should I stay (don't want to get shot), where should I eat (don't like lemon pepper wings), can someone show me where Baby Driver was filmed, what about checking out some houses on Flip or Flop: Atlanta, is Buckhead still the place to go to bars, you guys fix that bridge yet, last time i came up i went to virginia highlands (still cool?), falcons got curb stomped in the super bowl (too early?), where can i scalp some tickets, ya'll still have confederate guys on stone mountain, where's 2c
Tacomac is the WORST. So overrated.. and like OP said, where are the freakin tacos?!
It's closer to crApplebees than Mexican food.

Yardhouse is also an unpleasant experience in my book. What an overrated chain of generic sports bars.

Ponce City Mkt, Krog St Mkt, Inman Park, Edgewood, Little Five are my go tos. Not in that order.

I am Looking forward to Krog and The Vortex. I am not up to their coronanry bypass challenge but their burgers sound like the real deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT