ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn football down 16 players for coronavirus-related issues

SamENole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
May 29, 2002
Auburn, which canceled multiple football practices last week, will be without 16 players due to COVID-19 concerns when it resumes practice on Tuesday.

Coach Gus Malzahn told reporters on Sunday night that the team currently has nine players who have tested positive for the coronavirus and seven others who are considered high risk.

Malzahn said the Tigers have had "very few" players who have exhibited "major symptoms."

"We're learning as we go here," he said of dealing with the coronavirus as a team. "Every day and every week is a challenge."

Auburn canceled two practices and a scrimmage last week. Malzahn said the team didn't scrimmage on Saturday because players needed the weekend off after the police shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha, Wisconsin, earlier in the week.

Without going into specifics, Malzahn said two position groups were particularly affected by COVID-19 testing, to the point that the staff didn't feel comfortable going through full practices.

Auburn protocols require at least 17 days before a player can return from a positive COVID-19 test, including a 10-day quarantine and a seven-day reacclimation period before being fully cleared.

With four weeks remaining until the week the season is scheduled to begin, Malzahn said there's a sense of urgency.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-tigers-16-players-coronavirus-related-issues

Last edited:
This is the type of thing that's gonna happen all season long. If Auburn had a game in 3 or 4 days or even this weekend does anyone think they actually play it? It sounds like they're down the majority of 2 positional groups for AT LEAST 17 days. How can you play without any of your CBs or your OL or DL or god forbid all of your QBs? What can you even do?

In order for the season to survive, teams are gonna have to play through these outbreaks and I'll be shocked if they actually do. I really hope I'm wrong though.

And before anyone says it, I totally get that "very few players have exhibited "major symptoms." I expect that to almost always be the case and I personally don't think players are at much risk at all. But that's not gonna matter if teams are forced to cancel games every time one of these outbreaks happen and they will be happening over and over all season long. Again I really hope I'm wrong.

once they test three a week these out break are not near as likely.

Auburn, which canceled multiple football practices last week, will be without 16 players due to COVID-19 concerns when it resumes practice on Tuesday.

Coach Gus Malzahn told reporters on Sunday night that the team currently has nine players who have tested positive for the coronavirus and seven others who are considered high risk.

Malzahn said the Tigers have had "very few" players who have exhibited "major symptoms."

"We're learning as we go here," he said of dealing with the coronavirus as a team. "Every day and every week is a challenge."

Auburn canceled two practices and a scrimmage last week. Malzahn said the team didn't scrimmage on Saturday because players needed the weekend off after the police shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha, Wisconsin, earlier in the week.

Without going into specifics, Malzahn said two position groups were particularly affected by COVID-19 testing, to the point that the staff didn't feel comfortable going through full practices.

Auburn protocols require at least 17 days before a player can return from a positive COVID-19 test, including a 10-day quarantine and a seven-day reacclimation period before being fully cleared.

With four weeks remaining until the week the season is scheduled to begin, Malzahn said there's a sense of urgency.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-tigers-16-players-coronavirus-related-issues
Isolating players because of contact tracing is ridiculous. Why only 7 others high risk ? The entire team is exposed they are playing football. Isolate the positive cases and get on with it.

You can test now and know in 20 minutes whether you are negative or not. Why would players who test negative not play.

Each team has 85 scholarship players and a couple dozen walk-ons. Remember FSU in the Music City Bowl against Kentucky? Some teams might look like that for some games.

Reactions: FSU1096 and Hogpynn
Isolating players because of contact tracing is ridiculous. Why only 7 others high risk ? The entire team is exposed they are playing football. Isolate the positive cases and get on with it.
Maybe roommates or something

It’s gonna be a screwy season, but it’s better than no season. Our players have the opportunity to make choices in their every day lives to help keep the team healthy as a whole.

Reactions: sunset30a
You can test now and know in 20 minutes whether you are negative or not. Why would players who test negative not play.

Each team has 85 scholarship players and a couple dozen walk-ons. Remember FSU in the Music City Bowl against Kentucky? Some teams might look like that for some games.
Yea, why wouldn't they retest these guys in a few days to see if they come up negative. Could have been a false positive.
Nascar says 2 negatives 24hrs apart and they are back at work. That happened to Jimmy Johnson. Tested (+) on a Friday, couldn't race that weekend, and on Monday and Tuesday he tested (-) and was back to work immediately.

i forget who linked the article but the rapid tests appear to be the preferred method for repeated testing. it requires a higher viral load to activate it as a positive result, a load typically necessary for person-to-person transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT