ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball guys- how much of this is gamesmenship?

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001

Baseball's unwritten rules? The pitcher shakes off the catcher 8 times and then the batter steps out...
Seriously how much of this is the pitcher playing mind games and then the batter tries to return the favor?

Baseball's unwritten rules? The pitcher shakes off the catcher 8 times and then the batter steps out...
Seriously how much of this is the pitcher playing mind games and then the batter tries to return the favor?

Wow. That is mindful of watching Fisher trying to send in plays. Come on, man.....we only have like 8 plays in the whole damned play book....how hard can it be to pick one???

I'd say it more than just the number of pitches he throws. It is location as well. It doesn't appear that there are any runners on base, so that does take away some of the signals he could be receiving from the catcher. That said, shaking off a catcher 8 times is ridiculous.

Baseball needs a pitch clock and don't allow batters to call timeouts in the box. Also, get rid of extra innings and decide the game with a homerun derby if it's tied after 9....

You have to allow batters to call timeout once in the box. If they get something in their eye or become distracted by something it can become a safety issue.

Also, have you ever had to stand there waiting for a pitcher? Once you get set as a batter and have to wait you eventually get "locked" and can't react. Might as well not even be in the box as there is no way you will hit the pitch.

There are other things they can do to shorten games. I would think shortening the time between innings, shortening time for pitching changes, and stuff like that. There is definitely dead time during games and it seems to have gotten a lot worse than what I recall back in the early 90's.

You have to allow batters to call timeout once in the box. If they get something in their eye or become distracted by something it can become a safety issue.

Also, have you ever had to stand there waiting for a pitcher? Once you get set as a batter and have to wait you eventually get "locked" and can't react. Might as well not even be in the box as there is no way you will hit the pitch.

There are other things they can do to shorten games. I would think shortening the time between innings, shortening time for pitching changes, and stuff like that. There is definitely dead time during games and it seems to have gotten a lot worse than what I recall back in the early 90's.

They've been testing a pitch clock in the minor leagues. I've been able to observe it at the Wahoos games in Pensacola. It works well, doesn't seem to have a negative, and you never really see major delays. Every now and then a pitcher will once or twice and the umpire seems to let it go. I imagine if it became more frequent they'd use the clock to stop it. But well over 90% of pitches seem to leave before that clock expires.

They've been testing a pitch clock in the minor leagues. I've been able to observe it at the Wahoos games in Pensacola. It works well, doesn't seem to have a negative, and you never really see major delays. Every now and then a pitcher will once or twice and the umpire seems to let it go. I imagine if it became more frequent they'd use the clock to stop it. But well over 90% of pitches seem to leave before that clock expires.

Clocks in baseball?!? George Will must be spinning in his grave.

Reactions: 62Nole
Baseball needs a pitch clock and don't allow batters to call timeouts in the box. Also, get rid of extra innings and decide the game with a homerun derby if it's tied after 9....

Either that or a bikini contest among the teams’ respective fans.

Last edited:
Sometimes you just get "stuck" and need a reset. Seems like that's the case here, although it's often used as gamesmanship. Same thing with a runner on first where the pitcher holds the ball indefinitely until the batter asks for timeout.

It does seem to work well here, it will be in the majors soon. Plus they use a clock between innings and for visits from the dugout.

Last edited:
If I was the batter I would have asked for time-out and asked the catcher to go to the mound and figure out what pitch to the throw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT