ADVERTISEMENT

Battle Lines - Alliance vs. SEC

Regal Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2006
Hearing a bit more about the upcoming B1G contract renegotiation and how that might affect the ACC. This is a bit complex so please bear with me on this:

I posted last summer that the ACC-ESPN relationship is broken. The 2021 "Look-In" did not go well between the ACC and ESPN so the ACC is now clinging to the idea of the Alliance as a last resort to try to get more money for the conference. Both the B1G and the PAC have contract renegotiations coming up very soon.

The B1G needs the PAC and the ACC voting groups to try to regionalize and marginalize the SEC going forward, especially after the NCAA backs away from governance on January 20th. More schools in the Alliance equals more votes. In exchange for their votes, the B1G intends to pool "some" of their new contract money and share a portion of that with the ACC and PAC because the new contract will likely include future B1G home games with the ACC and PAC, as well as new bowl tie-ins.

It's also likely the Alliance conferences move more towards a "performance-based" monetary distribution method, instead of purely equal revenue sharing. This will be a concession to try to keep the football power schools from leaving the Alliance for the SEC.

I don't think it will be enough but they are gong to try. FSU and Clemson are going to be caught squarely in the middle of all this because the SEC and ESPN will counterpunch and expand as this process progresses.

I hope FSU is smart enough not to sign another "GOR" type of agreement that locks itself into the Alliance in exchange for peanuts. Tobacco Road has nothing to lose. FSU has everything to lose.

Be ready FSU. A day of choosing is fast approaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News