ADVERTISEMENT

Best/Favorite Movies of 2018

2025 is only six years from now. There’s no way a matrix-style immersion system could be viable for even research deployment, much less a consumer video game system by 2025. A visor and haptic feedback system that is accessible to the impoverished, like the one in the movie? That is plausible. Regarding the tech/economy context, according to book, by 2045 the US is into the third decade of the Great Recession following a complete collapse of global energy markets and infrastructure. People are living in doublewides and airstreams and using old car batteries and exercise bikes for electricity.

The haptics of the gloves and treadmill are primarily user feedback, rather than input. They can provide input to the system to control their avatars via hand movements, if they only have gloves, or they can use the treadmills, haptic suits, or immersion bays, like Sorrento’s, to provide input. This is demonstrated in the movie during the final battle in which thousands of people are shown fighting in the streets using only their visors and gloves.

In the book, Cline describes the haptic chair and sphere of the immersion bays as molding to and flexing with the body’s movements, stating that “While you were logged in, you could walk or run in any direction and the sphere would rotate around and beneath you, preventing you from ever touching the wall. It was like being inside a giant hamster ball.”

Wade also acknowledges in the book that his movements in the simulation are essentially the only exercise that he or anybody else gets. Given how people play with Wii controllers, Rockband instruments, and DDR mats; I don’t think it’s unrealistic to portray people using haptic gloves and visors as they do in the movie/book.

That makes the IOI centers make even less sense. If they don't need haptic and treadmills to interact then why the whole production? Case in point in the first raise, all the IOI ppl open their car doors ,then mimic sitting down to get into the cars. If they could interact with the Oasis without the full setup, would seem to mean Sorrento could jam more ppl onto the floor than what they showed. Guess it's mostly for dramatic effect in the movie .

Maybe I have to read the book to get the logic, that part is still lost on me.

One of the benefits of joining IOI as a Sixer is that your contract guarantees access to high end haptic gear and immersion aids like omnidirectional treadmills and haptic chairs. IOI has a strong incentive in providing their operatives with the best equipment, because they are in direct competition with everybody else for the egg. More immersion equates to a competitive edge and more people joining the Sixers.

RPGs have continually progressed along the immersion continuum as technology has advanced from paper and pencil tabletop games to text-based computer games to side-scrollers to first-person 3D renderings to MMORPGs and so on. Haptics will follow that trajectory.

We watched Bird Box last night. I actually thought it was pretty good considering it probably wasn’t.

Just watched A Simple Favor. Highly recommend. Very well done and not what I expected from the trailer.

Reactions: Bartdog
One of the benefits of joining IOI as a Sixer is that your contract guarantees access to high end haptic gear and immersion aids like omnidirectional treadmills and haptic chairs. IOI has a strong incentive in providing their operatives with the best equipment, because they are in direct competition with everybody else for the egg. More immersion equates to a competitive edge and more people joining the Sixers.

RPGs have continually progressed along the immersion continuum as technology has advanced from paper and pencil tabletop games to text-based computer games to side-scrollers to first-person 3D renderings to MMORPGs and so on. Haptics will follow that trajectory.

I love my vive setup. VR is an interesting tool both for entertainment and research. I’ve been enjoying Skyrim.

Into the Spiderverse for me. I was blown away by the style....it was unlike anything I have seen. And the story and pacing were amazing. For a movie trying to look like a comic book, it’s oddly the first animated movie I have watched where I stopped thinking it was animated.

I loved this movie. Took my son. Really well crafted.

Only movie we saw in the theater this year was the Halloween reboot. Enjoyed it a lot.

The Greenbook, The Favourite, Leave no Trace, BlackKKlansman, Into the Spiderverse (a real surprise since I do not like Spiderman).

Despite their successes, that band had have been so much better. I felt like the film was the same way, liked it, but could have been better.
I didn't know much about them, so it was very enlightening to me. I thought they were all gay among other misconceptions.

Finally caught A Star Is Born yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot but I'm a sucker for a love story. Gaga is a seriously talented chick and Bradley Cooper has evolved into a great actor. I thought their chemistry was amazing.

I guess we will attempt to keep this thread running. I just saw A Quiet Place. Enjoyed it. Found myself trying to keep as quiet as possible. Ending was meh, but overall well done.

ADVERTISEMENT