ADVERTISEMENT

Best used truck under 30k

EveryoneBleedsGarnet

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2010
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Getting bored with my Acura TL-S and want to get into another truck. I drove a Tundra for 6 years and loved it. I definitely want full 4 doors. Gas mileage does matter slightly because I commute half an hour to work. Honestly leaning towards a 2013-14 F150 ecoboost but would love to hear a few opinions.

I just bought a 2014 Silverado with a 5.3 V8 and I get better mileage than my neighbors v6 eco boost. Look for a 2012 model or newer. Same engine
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Silverado LT is a very nice truck. The older F-150 should be selling cheaper than usual since they have moved to the new frame model but it's not the best for gas. 4 door Tacoma isn't a bad looking truck and it's a reliable Toyota vehicle.

Originally posted by NolaNole9:
Originally posted by ncnole1975:
I just bought a 2014 Silverado with a 5.3 V8 and I get better mileage than my neighbors v6 eco boost. Look for a 2012 model or newer. Same engine

How much did you pay?
I have an LTZ loaded to the hilt. It was stickered at 53k. I got it for 44 out the door. That's why I recommended the 2012 as opposed to new. You can lease a new pretty cheap tho!

The 5.3 AFM engine has been around since 2007. I'm looking for a Silverado LTZ/Sierra SLT in the 2010 - 2011 year range. My budget is around $25k or there abouts.

I've had numerous bad experiences with Chevy... Luckily they weren't mine, but I swore I'd never get one. I typically buy Japanese vehicles, but for some reason I've always wanted an F-150. I'm not seriously considering Dodge Ram either. It's pretty much down to F-150 or Tundra, I just can't believe how expensive/rare those true 4 door Tundras are. I hate the half door version they make it's hideous.

Originally posted by Everyo...Garnet:
I've had numerous bad experiences with Chevy... Luckily they weren't mine, but I swore I'd never get one. I typically buy Japanese vehicles, but for some reason I've always wanted an F-150. I'm not seriously considering Dodge Ram either. It's pretty much down to F-150 or Tundra, I just can't believe how expensive/rare those true 4 door Tundras are. I hate the half door version they make it's hideous.
You are selling yourself short to ignore the new Chevys. I drove German cars for 13 years before getting my Silverado. My truck is every bit as luxurious as my Audis or Mercedes....

Another vote for a Silverado. Bought an 08 last year and these things are just built right. I was driving a 6 cylinder truck before this and I seem to get about the same gas mileage now. As others mentioned, 2010's and newer are even better on gas.

Originally posted by Noleguy06:
Every review out there for new trucks have Chevy behind Dodge and the new F-150.
Not true.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-chevrolet-silverado-1500-ltz-z71-page-4

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/consumer/163_1406_truck_trends_2014_best_in_class/hard_core_4x4_and_crew_cab_pickup.html

The GM pickups ride and handle better and get better gas mileage.

For every Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Toyota truck is great there's a Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Toyota trucks suck. There is no best. Just go look, test drive, and buy what you like.

Same thing with appliances, TVs, computers, etc.....all these threads are the same, just interchange the product.

Originally posted by Vizike Is Back!:
You can any truck for under 30k...
Clearly a man who's never bought a truck.

OP, I am in your exact same position. I owned a tundra too and loved it. I'm down to either another tundra or f150. Leaning towards a 2013 or 2014 f150, crew max, 4x4.

The new Chevys are nice but every Chevy I've ever seen falls apart after a few years.

Originally posted by nolesincebirth:
Originally posted by Vizike Is Back!:
You can any truck for under 30k...
Clearly a man who's never bought a truck.

OP, I am in your exact same position. I owned a tundra too and loved it. I'm down to either another tundra or f150. Leaning towards a 2013 or 2014 f150, crew max, 4x4.

The new Chevys are nice but every Chevy I've ever seen falls apart after a few years.
Not sure what year Vizike is stuck in, 1985? I can't even find a single 2010+ 4 door Tundra for under 30k, so I'm leaning towards F-150 myself. I'm going test drive a few today. I've read great things about the ecoboost motor.

I have nothing against the way Chevy's look and perform but I also have seen way too many of them fall apart at an early age to even consider getting one myself. I don't think a company that makes a quality product would need a government bailout, just saying.

I have an 04 F150. Waiting for the 2015s to come out. But if I were to get a new truck right now, I'd probably go with GMC or Chevy.
fordatlasconcept_01_hr-600-600-001.jpg

You are selling yourself short to ignore the new Chevys. I drove German cars for 13 years before getting my Silverado. My truck is every bit as luxurious as my Audis or Mercedes....
maybe your older germans when compared to your brand new truck, but current vs. current isnt even close. I test drove the denali 1500 last weekend and the electronics alone arent in the same zip code to my wife's S6. the difference between a 2008 model audi and the current gen is eye popping IMO.

i agree not to sell chevy short though. between a few of us in my immediate family, there have been a number of reliable silverados. its is definitely a reason i am giving them a good hard look. i plan on checking out the tundras and f-150's in the coming weeks as well.

Originally posted by EveryoneBleedsGarnet:
Originally posted by amicusnole:
I have an 04 F150. Waiting for the 2015s to come out. But if I were to get a new truck right now, I'd probably go with GMC or Chevy.
That 2015 is gorgeous. Might be worth waiting a year to get a used one...
That front end is just too busy. Is that a 150 or a 250?

Originally posted by LBoogie28:

maybe your older germans when compared to your brand new truck, but current vs. current isnt even close. I test drove the denali 1500 last weekend and the electronics alone arent in the same zip code to my wife's S6. the difference between a 2008 model audi and the current gen is eye popping IMO.

i agree not to sell chevy short though. between a few of us in my immediate family, there have been a number of reliable silverados. its is definitely a reason i am giving them a good hard look. i plan on checking out the tundras and f-150's in the coming weeks as well.
I had an 07 Q7. My truck is nicer. And substantially quieter inside.

Originally posted by F4Gary:
Originally posted by EveryoneBleedsGarnet:
Originally posted by amicusnole:
That 2015 is gorgeous. Might be worth waiting a year to get a used one...
That front end is just too busy. Is that a 150 or a 250?
It's the new 150. I think it looks great.

doesnt refute anything i posted. comparing an '07 to a '14 is ridiculous regardless of the car makers. audi has seen drastic changes in that span (as have many car makers). The A4 in that span is barely recognizable (in terms of reliabilty, size, cabin noise, etc). i recently sat in a brand new accord and was blown away by what that vehicle offered as compared to what I had sat in several years prior. this "comparison" can be done with any number of models with the same result. drawing the conclusion that your '14 model truck is as "luxurious" as other cars based on one model that is 7 years old is disingenuous. if this were a legit methodology, i could claim that my wrangler is more "luxurious" than the silverado. this being based off my 2012 jeep vs. my 2004 chevy. if car companies arent able to meet or improve upon an older product (given that large enough of a time span), they should close up shop.

this post/point isnt to take anything away from the new silverado. loved what i drove in the denali version (obv. gmc counterpart). its a sharp looking vehicle from the outside to the interior. walked away impressed. the real test to that vehicle will be what i see in the 14/15 tundra and f-150, not what i drove years ago.

btw, your truck looks great. similar to the setup i am looking for/drove (color and all).

Originally posted by Noleguy06:
Originally posted by nolesincebirth:
That 2015 F150 looks perfect.

Major upgrade. The current ford's look like crap. The front end is fugly. Looking forwars to getting one in the summer.
I don't think the current F150 is ugly, but damn that 2015 looks good. I think I might have to wait an extra year and catch a used one for 30k(ish)

doesnt refute anything i posted. comparing an '07 to a '14 is ridiculous regardless of the car makers. audi has seen drastic changes in that span (as have many car makers). The A4 in that span is barely recognizable (in terms of reliabilty, size, cabin noise, etc). i recently sat in a brand new accord and was blown away by what that vehicle offered as compared to what I had sat in several years prior. this "comparison" can be done with any number of models with the same result. drawing the conclusion that your '14 model truck is as "luxurious" as other cars based on one model that is 7 years old is disingenuous. if this were a legit methodology, i could claim that my wrangler is more "luxurious" than the silverado. this being based off my 2012 jeep vs. my 2004 chevy. if car companies arent able to meet or improve upon an older product (given that large enough of a time span), they should close up shop.

this post/point isnt to take anything away from the new silverado. loved what i drove in the denali version (obv. gmc counterpart). its a sharp looking vehicle from the outside to the interior. walked away impressed. the real test to that vehicle will be what i see in the 14/15 tundra and f-150, not what i drove years ago.

btw, your truck looks great. similar to the setup i am looking for/drove (color and all).
I agree that the ages have a lot to do with it. The biggest thing that sticks out to me is how quiet the ride is in the new Chevy/GMC's. Not so much electronics, but they have done wonders with the cab and the reduction of road/wind noise. My Q7 sounded like a tractor! My neighbor has a 2012 and its load as well. And thanks for the compliment! I have loved having the truck again! With the full crew cab, my 3 kids have more room now than they did in the Audi!

I agree that the ages have a lot to do with it. The biggest thing that sticks out to me is how quiet the ride is in the new Chevy/GMC's. Not so much electronics, but they have done wonders with the cab and the reduction of road/wind noise. My Q7 sounded like a tractor! My neighbor has a 2012 and its load as well. And thanks for the compliment! I have loved having the truck again! With the full crew cab, my 3 kids have more room now than they did in the Audi!
Our Q7 was a 2012, and we didnt have the noise levels you seem to have out of the 2007. the limited back seat (room) was a complaint in the past with my wife's previous Q5 and to a lesser extent the Q7. it made me really appreciate the size the full crew offers. the entire cab feels expansive, maybe too big from what I am used to driving. I am sure I will get over it. the truck/ride is definitely quieter than my 2012 wrangler (obvious statement is obvious). gonna get rid of my 2004 2-door wrangler to make room for a truck. Have missed having one as much as you seem to have.

If you want the larger engine of the Denali, Chevy has a High Country model that is equivalent.
I just have the 5.3. It's plenty for me. And I get 23+ on the highway

My Titan will be 10 years old next month, never had anythinggo wrong on it. Might check out the new 1/2 ton diesels coming out. I'm all about towing. Chris Craft will hook me up if I get anotherTitan

I have a Toyota Tundra 4 by 4 & I tow a 30 foot camper like Jamie does this truck tows the best that I have ever had between Ford, Dodge and Chevrolets that I've owned in the past. The larger V8, tow package etc

All I can say is that over the last few years at auto auctions in S. Carolina, when trucks are equal in miles and trim levels, Chevy/GMC bring the most money, then Ford and Dodge last. Tundras can be all over the place. True crew or quad cabs are the most desired by far. (as opposed to extended cabs).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT