ADVERTISEMENT

Best wings in Florida

Last edited:
The truth is, everything else on the menu has been trash for a long time, and they're VERY expensive. Not surprised franchising doesn't work out (although they have one in the Buffalo airport. If they weren't a tourist destination, then they'd be just another sub-standard restaurant.

I haven't been in probably five years, at which time the wings were still solid, but not something I'd make a trip for.

It's been almost 25 years since I was in school in Tallahassee, but at that time the only edible wing for a Buffalo kid was at The Pub. Except they didn't cut the tips off the flats, which is pretty crazy. They had all-you-can eat wings on Wednesday for $6 or something, and a couple times they had to tell "No, that's all you can eat, get out."

As far as I can tell they only started franchising relatively recently mostly in NY and Ontario ie theyre home area. It does look like one opened and quickly shut down in Vegas and some Texans are trying to make it happen in San Antonio ("It's from Jew York? Get a rope." is the typical local reaction I would expect.). The Anchor Bars in Tampa are definitely not a franchise from the Buffalo original.

Yes, a wing should be buffalo style. They only things you should argue about is the heat and whether you prefer wings or drums.
I'm not opposed to boneless, but it should still have buffalo sauce on it.

Lemon pepper and bbq (esp if done on a grill) can be just as good as the original.

Thirsty Turtle's garlic wings or Duffy's spicy Korean wings.

Can't find any worthwhile smoked wings down here which is a damn shame. Hooters has outstanding "Daytona" wings, lightly fried and then grilled with hot sauce and then BBQ sauce, but they aren't on the menu so you gotta know a girl to get'em.
#nekkid
Have you been around Palm Beach County long enough to remember when Duffy's was a hole-in-the-wall place in North Palm Beach? Duffy's deathwing's Duffy's death dogs Duffy's death Burgers set the standard.

Reactions: cfbfan23
Clearly you guys have never hear of this little place called Buffalo Wild Wings.

Wings. Beer. Sports.

In theory that place is a sports fan mecca. In reality its the most seizure inducing environment I have ever walked in to. There is just so much stimulus my little brain can take on at once.

Last edited:
Wrong. Hattricks wings are the best in Tampa.
Hat tricks are very good but Yeomans are better. Have you had them? They aren’t really traditional buffalo wings but everyone I know who’s been there loves them.

I agree with DFS that wings should either be naked or very lightly breaded, I do not like thick breading on wings.

As far as the best in Florida, I honestly haven’t had any mindblowing wings that I can recall. The best I’ve had are at the UpperDeck in WeekiWachee/Rogers Park and the Hobbit in Tally. At the Hobbit I really love their Garlic Heat, but will go for the lemon pepper, fiesta ranch and garnet and gold for variety when it’s cheap wing night on Thurs or Sun.

For bbq wings, I do like the wings at Dreamland and Hamaknockers.

Oh, I just now did think of some mindblowing wings I had in Florida but the restaurant only has them as a periodic special and it’s not a regular item. And that’s the bbq duck wings at Goodman’s BBQ in Perry. I would get them every time if they had them.

Friggin Goodman's has been "Closed for repairs, reopening soon" for several years now. Wonder if they ever will reopen.

They have been reopened for quite some time. I assume it’s just being left up to scare off nonlocals.

Seriously? I drive by there all the time and haven't seen a car in the parking lot in years.

EDIT: Well sumbitch...just googled and it shows they're open. Damn sure have fooled me. I'm stopping there soon. Ribs baby!

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Have you been around Palm Beach County long enough to remember when Duffy's was a hole-in-the-wall place in North Palm Beach? Duffy's deathwing's Duffy's death dogs Duffy's death Burgers set the standard.

Yep. Had a buddy who would always eat lunch at the office, but if he heard someone was going to Duffy's he would halt everything to tag along for a Death Dog. I would get the wings.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Joe’s Corner Pub in Panama City has the best wings on the planet.

This place is a total dive bar, and I’m not exaggerating one bit. They sell beer, cigarettes, and wings...and that’s it. It’s a place that I would never let my wife go in alone...it’s that scary.

But damn it man if their wings aren’t out of this world good. You can watch them make their sauce in house, they have a method that is hard to describe. The best I can do is to say it reminds me of a barista at Starbucks making a latte, it’s crazy.

Their actual wings are different than most others places as well. They order the wings of a smaller bird, so the meet on their wing is probably 2/3 the size of BWW wing. I love this because they are crispy and it’s easy to get the meet off the bone.

Because they are smaller they sell their wings on higher quanties. If you can polish off 10 wings at BWW, you could eat 15 to 20 of their wings no problem.

Lastly, they have their own blue cheese that’s the bomb diggity.

You don’t want to dine in and eat these bad boys, it’s not safe. You will want to get them to go and eat at home.

Next time you’re in PC check out.

Talking to you @Imtotallynottribe

Joe’s Corner Pub in Panama City has the best wings on the planet.

This place is a total dive bar, and I’m not exaggerating one bit. They sell beer, cigarettes, and wings...and that’s it. It’s a place that I would never let my wife go in alone...it’s that scary.

But damn it man if their wings aren’t out of this world good. You can watch them make their sauce in house, they have a method that is hard to describe. The best I can do is to say it reminds me of a barista at Starbucks making a latte, it’s crazy.

Their actual wings are different than most others places as well. They order the wings of a smaller bird, so the meet on their wing is probably 2/3 the size of BWW wing. I love this because they are crispy and it’s easy to get the meet off the bone.

Because they are smaller they sell their wings on higher quanties. If you can polish off 10 wings at BWW, you could eat 15 to 20 of their wings no problem.

Lastly, they have their own blue cheese that’s the bomb diggity.

You don’t want to dine in and eat these bad boys, it’s not safe. You will want to get them to go and eat at home.

Next time you’re in PC check out.

Talking to you @Imtotallynottribe

I’ll definitely check it out, I’m in PC about once a week now.

I'd probably love those wings Dance. I prefer the smaller - the texture of them ends up far superior to the jumbo wings.

100% agree.

A guy work with is from Buffalo and he won’t shut up about how great the wings are there. His main argument is how their wings are so much bigger...and that just grossed me out for some reason.

Give me a smaller crispy wing all day.

Reactions: totallynot321Nole
I'd probably love those wings Dance. I prefer the smaller - the texture of them ends up far superior to the jumbo wings.

Really big wings are definitely no good. I steer clear of any "jumbo" wings...they often border on disgusting. For a quick, inexpensive and not terrible wing fix, I'll grab the fried wings from Publix and make my own sauce. Aside from them occasionally being too old, the biggest problem they have is about 40% of their wings are just too big. It makes a real difference in the quality.

Some places don't get that. As bad as the rising cost of chicken wings has disturbed me over the years, that's been one side benefit, I don't see as many places serving oversized wings. I can't remember the last time I got wings that were too big in a restaurant, but it it used to be a lot more common.

But I also think wings can be too small. On the handful of occasions I've been unfortunate enough to have Buffalo Wild Wings, about 90% of their wings are too small. And they're usually only partially sauced, like half the wing is just dry. And overcooked. I hate that place.

I'm not an expert on chains for wings because I generally avoid them, but if pushed to it, Wild Wing Cafe gets it mostly right. Right size, right "fried-ness" and sauce is ok (I've only had standard hot). Main issue they have that keeps them from being really good is they tend to not be wet and coated enough on the sauce. Trying to explain to the server that you want a little more sauce, but not on the side, but also not swimming in sauce is usually a losing cause.

I ate at a Quaker Steak and Lube once or twice, I think that's a chain, and their wings were pretty decent.

I've got a couple places in Atlanta that I get excellent wings. Unfortunately a couple Atlanta chains that used to be solid are now either hit or miss, or went way downhill.

100% agree.

A guy work with is from Buffalo and he won’t shut up about how great the wings are there. His main argument is how their wings are so much bigger...and that just grossed me out for some reason.

Give me a smaller crispy wing all day.

Yeah, that doesn't exactly make sense, unless he's talking about Buffalo Wild Wing. These are too small and scrawny if you're from Buffalo:
buffalo-wild-wings-number-of-wings-per-size-inspiring-465-best-chicken-wings-images-on-pinterest-photos-of-buffalo-wild-wings-number-of-wings-per-size.jpg

But wings that look like this are gross:

delicioso-jumbo-chicken.jpg

Reactions: DanC78
The size and age of the bird, and if it’s hormone free makes a big difference in quality and taste.

The place I recommend for fried chicken in the other thread knows this. They also buy a smaller hormone free bird, and they even cut it into 9 pieces instead the traditional 8 piece. This gives each bite of the chicken much more flavor, you can immediately tell the difference.

That’s the main issue with publix fried chicken. They are clearly using a bird that fed hormones. Way too much meet and has a rubbery flavorless taste to it the closer you get to the bone....if that makes since.

They can also over do the egg wash at times. Makes the breading a little to gooey when they do this.

Yeah, that doesn't exactly make sense, unless he's talking about Buffalo Wild Wing. These are too small and scrawny if you're from Buffalo:
buffalo-wild-wings-number-of-wings-per-size-inspiring-465-best-chicken-wings-images-on-pinterest-photos-of-buffalo-wild-wings-number-of-wings-per-size.jpg

But wings that look like this are gross:

delicioso-jumbo-chicken.jpg

Oh yeah...the top picture looks money!

Well that’s a solid business model.

They really don’t seem to care about out of towners. For example, locals and those of us in the know, know that you get free cobbler (blackberry or peach) with every meal but I’ve never once heard them offer it unsolicited. And the vibe inside is definitely “ferriners bware”. But the food is usually the best bbq in Florida and it’s ridiculously cheap to boot.

Well that’s a solid business model.

They really don’t seem to care about out of towners. For example, locals and those of us in the know, know that you get free cobbler (blackberry or peach) with every meal but I’ve never once heard them offer it unsolicited. And the vibe inside is definitely “ferriners bware”. But the food is usually the best bbq in Florida and it’s ridiculously cheap to boot.
Crazy they don’t want outsiders money. It’s green too.

My wings are the best in Florida. At least the ones fhat aren’t made from the Kobe beef of chicken.

I give them a nice rub of peppers and spices with a good bit of garlic then shortly marinate and then braise them, in the smoker/grill, with the spices and beer and apple cider vinegar. When they are almost done, I remove them from the liquid and dry them off then grill them to crispy. Finally they get tossed in a lighter buffalo style sauce of Crystal, Tabasco habenero, and just a little butter.

It takes a while, but you never had better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT