ADVERTISEMENT

Better School or Better Program (major)?

alaskanseminole

Seminole Insider
Oct 20, 2002
So, what's more important the prestige of the University or the program you're majoring in?

My daughter is a theater arts major with teaching certification (She wants to perform and teach theater at the high-school/collegiate level).

She has been accepted to Texas State, UT-Austin, and Baylor.

Theater Arts Ranking in Texas:
#1 UT
#2 Texas State
#3 Baylor

BFA with teaching certification (the program itself).
#1 Texas State
#2 UT
#3 Baylor

Congrats. Considering the major she is interested in, I would avoid Baylor and its high tuition. I would say UT hands down before Texas State. Texas State is good school..but your alumni network due to being a Tsep is much better than Texas St.

Last edited:
Congrats. Considering the major she is interested in, I would avoid Baylor and its high tuition. I would say UT hands down before Texas State. Texas State is good school..but your alumni network due to be a Tsep is not comparable to Texas St.

Tuition isn't going to be an issue. I've "gifted" her my Post 911 GI Bill and Baylor participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. She's also graduating with a minimum of 18 dual credit hours.

I can't imagine a scenario in which it would make any difference whatsoever.

That said, there really is no debate... If she has a chance to live in Austin, that is the answer.

So, what's more important the prestige of the University or the program you're majoring in?

My daughter is a theater arts major with teaching certification (She wants to perform and teach theater at the high-school/collegiate level).

#1 UT
#2 Texas State
#3 Baylor

#1 Texas State
#2 UT
#3 Baylor

Generally speaking, I think the overall school's reputation is more important than the program. By that I mean Stetson university is considered the best trial advocacy program in law school, Vermont is the number one environmental law school usually and Syracuse is usually considered a top corporate/economic law school, but by NO means would I ever consider going to those three schools over even FSU let alone the top schools in the country.

But having said that, music and other art programs are closer to an old school apprenticeship type of thing rather than normal academic programs so before I would say "it's clearly Baylor where she should go", you should ask Baylor very clearly where they have placed graduates from that program and ask for them to give you the name and placement of the recent grads and then call a couple of them to find out if they thought Baylor helped them find a job.

And on a complete sidenote, I would try to convince her that you can always be an actor/involved in plays without being a major and that she should consider getting either a dual major with a business/finance degree that would go hand in hand with running a production or get a "real" degree and just a minor in theatre. She'd still have close to the same opportunities in theater (where it will come down to does she have the chops or not) but have a much better fallback plan. In which case Baylor would be a 1000x times better than Texas State.

Last edited:
Tuition isn't going to be an issue. I've "gifted" her my Post 911 GI Bill and Baylor participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. She's also graduating with a minimum of 18 dual credit hours.

$200,000 education for free....that's not a bad deal. Between those two--when tuition isn't an issue--just leave it up to which environment she likes better. The smaller, more conservative but less to do Waco or Austin.

$200,000 education for free....that's not a bad deal. Between those two--when tuition isn't an issue--just leave it up to which environment she likes better. The smaller, more conservative but less to do Waco or Austin.

You aren't including the book stipend and most importantly, the tax-free housing allowance. If everyone realized how lucrative the Post 9/11 bill is, I think more people would do four years and then separate. I graduated from a public state school and added up the total benefit to be ~160,000 over four years. I lived on campus (pretty cheap) but because I lived in an expensive area, my housing allowance was ~1600/month, and better yet, it didn't count as income.

BTW, I just looked at US&WR for the current national rankings and for some reason Baylor has fallen off the map. They're now only 72nd in the same realm as Rutgers and American which is substantially below where I thought they were (either I was completely wrong and thinking of some other school or their ranking plummeted I thought they were at least on par with William and Mary if not better from memory).

With those rankings in mind and assuming what you posted about the programs is accurate, the decision for me would be easy. Texas. A solid school at 52nd overall nationally and the second best school in Texas at the moment after Rice (which I guess I must have been confusing with Baylor), high up in your rankings and Austin is a decent city to spend four years in.

You aren't including the book stipend and most importantly, the tax-free housing allowance. If everyone realized how lucrative the Post 9/11 bill is, I think more people would do four years and then separate. I graduated from a public state school and added up the total benefit to be ~160,000 over four years. I lived on campus (pretty cheap) but because I lived in an expensive area, my housing allowance was ~1600/month, and better yet, it didn't count as income.

What's the post 9/11 bill, some military thing?

Having a housing stipend in Austin would be great. Housing is very expensive. Waco - not so much. Baylor's new John Eddie Williams football stadium on the Brazos is really nice...and Alaska and drive up his yacht and park it at the stadium for game day.

Ya know... come to an FSU forum and ask about a major that FSU is ranked very highly in the nation but only ask about Texas schools. The answer is Florida state.

Ya know... come to an FSU forum and ask about a major that FSU is ranked very highly in the nation but only ask about Texas schools. The answer is Florida state.

If only it wasn't in Tallahassee....

If only it wasn't in Tallahassee....

Tallahassee is fantastic for four years. Now the 20 years I've been here...blecch. I was ready to move before I met my wife then got stuck here while I was waiting for her to finish up her second degree (as she was only doing it part time, she worked for the state) so I've been itching to move out of here. But for four years it's great.

My apologies, let me caveat. We live in San Antonio and my daughter wants to stay in state and relatively close to home because she has a 2 1/2 year old brother she's very close to. Fortunately, the schools close to her are the highest ranking in the state for her major.

Next kiddo in line is FSU focused, so we're good. ;)

Reactions: FSUTribe76
When you visit Waco, go on a Saturday and stop at Snow's BBQ in Lexington. Got to get there early before the brisket runs out. Fantastic bbq. Of course, this is a longer route as you have to go I-10 then up; Instead of going through Austin...but the BBQ is worth it.

When you visit Waco, go on a Saturday and stop at Snow's BBQ in Lexington. Got to get there early before the brisket runs out. Fantastic bbq. Of course, this is a longer route as you have to go I-10 then up; Instead of going through Austin...but the BBQ is worth it.

Our closest family friends are Baylor grads (w/ two legacy kids on the way there). We've spent our share of time in Waco. The only campus we haven't been to is UT. It was our #3 choice, but now it's moving up the ranks.

Which of those towns have the better theaters and is there an opportunity to possibly work in one of them while getting a degree at the University to get some outside experience? A degree plus working at such and such theater will put her a step ahead of most people in getting a job after graduation.

#1 UT
#2 Texas State
#3 Baylor

#1 Texas State
#2 UT
#3 Baylor

UT. It will provide the most options. Providing options is what it's all about.

Wondering as well. Sounds like an overly generous program.

It was an upgrade to the original GI Bill, signed into law by Dubya in 2008 (and added to a couple of times since).
Main changes:

increase what will be paid, so that it covers 100% of a 4 year degree if you've served 3 years after 9/11/01 (prorated in some instances if you serve less than 3 years, but at least 90 days)
Allow vet to transfer the benefit to spouse or child if vet served 10+ years

There should be no need for discussion.
TEXAS.
National university and for all intents and purposes a public ivy. Permanent connections for life.

Baylor has nice kids but....it's a religious school in Waco.
Texas State formerly known as Southwest Texas State, is where the kids who partied a lot in high school and couldn't get into Tech end up.

There should be no need for discussion.
TEXAS.
National university and for all intents and purposes a public ivy. Permanent connections for life.

Baylor has nice kids but....it's a religious school in Waco.
Texas State formerly known as Southwest Texas State, is where the kids who partied a lot in high school and couldn't get into Tech end up.

Oh Texas is definitely one of the original "Public Ivies". The eight are William and Mary (natch since I went there), Texas, Miami University (not Da Ewe), Cal-Berkeley, Michigan, North Carolina, Vermont and Virginia. We Tribesman brag about that and being the real number one not Harvard (Harvard was teaching only elementary kids when we had an actual university charter transferable to and from England) of the colonial colleges ie the nine colleges in existence (Bill and Mary, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Columbia, Brown, Rutgers and Dartmouth in that real order as Harvard is legitimately the "oldest center of learning" because they did teach rugrats but Bill and Mary is the first real college...Cornell is the only Ivy not a colonial college).

Austin hands down. Great city, better school and awesome alumni network.

Was thinking the same thing.
But OOS tuition is a bear.

Alaska- we love plays; hope your daughter does well. That acting is incredible... Maybe she will end up on Broadway one day.

Last edited:
Was thinking the same thing.
But OOS tuition is a bear.

$721.10 per credit just for tuition. In state is $215.55. If my daughter gets a scholarship we will consider FSU but otherwise it would be a waste of money with OOS tuition.

$721.10 per credit just for tuition. In state is $215.55. If my daughter gets a scholarship we will consider FSU but otherwise it would be a waste of money with OOS tuition.

Is it wrong to just want to move back to FL so that your kid can get in state tuition? Lol

There was talk at one time regarding allowing in state for kids that have parents that graduated from FSU and have moved out of state. But it was only going to be a limited amount of kids... Not sure if it ever took off.

I wouldn't pay OOS either. Just not good financial stewardship. And it's not easy to gain in state status. A kid can't just move to Tally and attend TCC and then transfer--- you have to prove that you moved to the state for a reason other than attending college.

I can't think of a single reason why someone would go to Waco on purpose. Baylor is a nice school but....it's not on the same level as UT when it comes to the quality of education, prestige and alumni connections. When she has been accepted to and has access to an outstanding school like UT, the choice should be easy.

Texas State, or Southwest Texas State as I always knew it, is nice but I personally wouldn't choose it, especially not if UT is in the running.

Then again, since tuition isn't an issue, let her choose where she is most comfortable.

I can't think of a single reason why someone would go to Waco on purpose. Baylor is a nice school but....it's not on the same level as UT when it comes to the quality of education, prestige and alumni connections. When she has been accepted to and has access to an outstanding school like UT, the choice should be easy.

Texas State, or Southwest Texas State as I always knew it, is nice but I personally wouldn't choose it, especially not if UT is in the running.

Then again, since tuition isn't an issue, let her choose where she is most comfortable.

We're going to take a day per campus, let her talk to people in her department, and let her get a feel. So far she's only unofficially visited Texas State.

We're going to take a day per campus, let her talk to people in her department, and let her get a feel. So far she's only unofficially visited Texas State.

Obviously I would not presume to second guess you or your daughter, however, you might consider the statistics that point out that a huge % of high school seniors and college freshman change majors. Her comfort level at the school and the options available at a given school may be something to factor.

If she's been accepted to UT, she should go there. Once she's there, you should start working on her to change majors. Otherwise, at least she'll graduate without debt. UT's a great school......congrats on her getting in.

You have an enviable dilemma. Texas has a variety of both quality public and private universities to choose from. The way the state funds it's public universities is something that the State of Florida, which appears to be primarily concerned with providing funding to UF, should take a look at.

You have an enviable dilemma. Texas has a variety of both quality public and private universities to choose from. The way the state funds it's public universities is something that the State of Florida, which appears to be primarily concerned with providing funding to UF, should take a look at.

Florida needs oil and richer plaintiff's lawyers.

Texas is good, but I really like the Virginia system best. You get two small elite schools that take a lot of out of staters but also provides high level education for the best instate students with one having a research focus (UVA) and one having a teaching focus (William and Mary). You still have large state schools for the less elite students who want a well-rounded education kind of equivalent to FSU and UF in Virginia Tech and James Madison. You've got commuter schools both large and small equivalent to UCF or USF in Old Dominion, George Mason, Christopher Newport and Virginia Commonwealth. You've got HBUs equivalent to FAMU in Norfolk State and Virginia State. But you've also got some small specialty schools like VMI for a military focus, Radford and Mary Washington that used to be women's colleges and both became hippie liberal arts colleges and Virginia-Wise which has almost always been a small hippie liberal arts college.

So if you're lucky enough to be a high school student in Virginia you've got two of the eight public Ivies at your disposal with a different focus at each, a large state school with big time Athletics in Virginia Tech, large standard universities and commuter schools, great small liberal arts colleges for the hippie set and specialty schools. If you're in Virginia you don't need to go out of state or to a private school to find any characteristic you find appealing. That's not true of anywhere else even the good state university systems like California, Texas, Michigan, and North Carolina and certainly not true of the bad ones like Florida.

Is it wrong to just want to move back to FL so that your kid can get in state tuition? Lol

There was talk at one time regarding allowing in state for kids that have parents that graduated from FSU and have moved out of state. But it was only going to be a limited amount of kids... Not sure if it ever took off.

I wouldn't pay OOS either. Just not good financial stewardship. And it's not easy to gain in state status. A kid can't just move to Tally and attend TCC and then transfer--- you have to prove that you moved to the state for a reason other than attending college.
I'm so glad we bought into Florida Pre-paid when our kids were young and we still lived in Florida. My daughter will be going to UNF next Fall and tuition is already covered.

I'm so glad we bought into Florida Pre-paid when our kids were young and we still lived in Florida. My daughter will be going to UNF next Fall and tuition is already covered.

We're signing our daughter up for Florida Pre-Paid. A lot of people have told us it would be foolish not to sign up for it.

We're signing our daughter up for Florida Pre-Paid. A lot of people have told us it would be foolish not to sign up for it.

For years and years it was a terrible deal. Given the inflation in tuition recently, it's a whole different ball game now.

#1 UT
#2 Texas State
#3 Baylor

#1 Texas State
#2 UT
#3 Baylor
UT it's a public ivy you can't even compare those other institutions. Great alumni network and then there's Austin.

Oh Texas is definitely one of the original "Public Ivies". The eight are William and Mary (natch since I went there), Texas, Miami University (not Da Ewe), Cal-Berkeley, Michigan, North Carolina, Vermont and Virginia. We Tribesman brag about that and being the real number one not Harvard (Harvard was teaching only elementary kids when we had an actual university charter transferable to and from England) of the colonial colleges ie the nine colleges in existence (Bill and Mary, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Columbia, Brown, Rutgers and Dartmouth in that real order as Harvard is legitimately the "oldest center of learning" because they did teach rugrats but Bill and Mary is the first real college...Cornell is the only Ivy not a colonial college).

I understand that you didn't write that list, but I don't get how UCLA is not considered a public Ivy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT