ADVERTISEMENT

Bird Box

QuaZ2002

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
So what did everyone think of this? It’s the first Netflix movie I’ve ever watched and I thought it was solid. I watch much more TV these days than movies and I couldn’t help but think it would have been better as a 4-6 episode mini series. It just seemed like it could have been expanded on a lot more but I did enjoy it. I read that there actually was a scene filmed that showed what the “monster” actually looked like but they cut it because it looked so ridiculous. No doubt that was the right move.

Would have probably been better received had it not come out so soon (same year) as A Quiet Place. Similar themes, playing on senses, etc. AQP was far better overall, though.

Entertaining movie, though. I did enjoy it, thought didn't think it was great. Maybe 3 out of 5.

Reactions: SoddyNole
Would have probably been better received had it not come out so soon (same year) as A Quiet Place. Similar themes, playing on senses, etc. AQP was far better overall, though.

Entertaining movie, though. I did enjoy it, thought didn't think it was great. Maybe 3 out of 5.

I thought the same thing watching the trailer to Bird Box. I have not watched it yet but imo AQP was the best movie experience in that genre and a difficult bar for future movies to reach or even compare to.

I thought the same thing watching the trailer to Bird Box. I have not watched it yet but imo AQP was the best movie experience in that genre and a difficult bar for future movies to reach or even compare to.

Watched Bird Box with my wife first, then had her watch AQP the next night. I previously watched AQP a couple months ago on a flight, but not on a big screen.

She thought Bird Box was meh, but really liked AQP. She usually is unaffected by movies, but AQP had her emotional. That's quite an accomplishment for a movie to make an impact on her.

Certainly a movie best watched at night, in complete darkness and silence.

Reactions: 10thSFGNole
I liked AQP but didn’t think it was as good as everyone else. It was really really short for a movie like that, I think only 90min.

I liked AQP but didn’t think it was as good as everyone else. It was really really short for a movie like that, I think only 90min.

90 min is pretty standard these days for movies.

Conversely, thought Bird Box was unnecessarily long.

Saw Bird Box perfectly described as Better than The Happening but worse than A Quiet Place.

BB was kinda like a mix between The Happening, Cell, and A Quiet Place. Again, decent, but not overly compelling or logical. Thought it got worse as movie went on.

Reactions: 89nole and cmanole
90 min is pretty standard these days for movies.

Conversely, thought Bird Box was unnecessarily long.

Saw Bird Box perfectly described as Better than The Happening but worse than A Quiet Place.

BB was kinda like a mix between The Happening, Cell, and A Quiet Place. Again, decent, but not overly compelling or logical. Thought it got worse as movie went on.
I think I’d give AQP 7/10 and BB 6/10. I don’t think you’re right about times of movies. I just did a quick look and the top movies out right now are almost all right at 2hrs. But I’m also coming at this from a TV viewer perspective in terms of preferring depth of the story.

I think I’d give AQP 7/10 and BB 6/10. I don’t think you’re right about times of movies. I just did a quick look and the top movies out right now are almost all right at 2hrs. But I’m also coming at this from a TV viewer perspective in terms of preferring depth of the story.

I should have said for the genre these days. 90 min is the average for horror films. 2 hrs is the upper limit for movies, if they run long, the theaters don't make as much money because they can't fit in as much showings. Not any issue with online content, though.

I don't mind longer films at all, as long as they have something to offer. That said, sometimes less is more.

Bird Box seemed to drag on, possibly too many characters to focus on early on.

https://www.nme.com/news/film/it-stephen-king-remake-movie-running-time-trailer-2119968

Haven't seen it so I don't have a dog in this fight yet. I haven't really liked Sandra Bullock since Speed and I may be confusing liking her in that with liking the elevator scene and/or Keanu Reeves,. That said, Netflix announced Friday that more than 45 million Netflix accounts — 45,037,125, to be exact — streamed its original runaway hit movie and meme machine Bird Box in its first week, reportedly making it the “best first 7 days ever for a Netflix film. Yowza!!

Haven't seen it so I don't have a dog in this fight yet. I haven't really liked Sandra Bullock since Speed and I may be confusing liking her in that with liking the elevator scene and/or Keanu Reeves,. That said, Netflix announced Friday that more than 45 million Netflix accounts — 45,037,125, to be exact — streamed its original runaway hit movie and meme machine Bird Box in its first week, reportedly making it the “best first 7 days ever for a Netflix film. Yowza!!

Yep, has been a perfect storm of timing release with holiday season (people off work with time to kill) and hype on social media insisting everyone has to see it or miss out on the meme refences.

I am all for Netflix success for making more quality original content. Same goes for Amazon.

There is no way that there are that many accounts. Somewhere around 20 accounts seems more realistic and like 40 million family members.

I had to Google this because 45 million accounts sounded wild.

Netflix claims there are 58 million accounts in the US alone. The total US population is 325 million, which means 1 out of every 5 people would have an account. I know that we have 1 account for 10 family members in our family. Most families (and friends) mooch off one account, as far as I know. Same goes for Prime. Like 20 ppl mooch off my Prime account and nobody pitches in on it either.

https://www.statista.com/statistics...r-of-netflix-streaming-subscribers-worldwide/

Reactions: GoNolesTX

This. A lot of hype imo. A lot of good memes too though...

Reactions: dmm5157
Probably the coolest thing to come from the movie (other than John Malkovich being awesome as always) is that the actor that played Tom went to high school in Little Elm, TX and played football with Cole Beasley (meh.) Really hoping that little fact drives up interest in the house I have on the market. HAHA

Reactions: ericram and dmm5157
Probably the coolest thing to come from the movie (other than John Malkovich being awesome as always) is that the actor that played Tom went to high school in Little Elm, TX and played football with Cole Beasley (meh.) Really hoping that little fact drives up interest in the house I have on the market. HAHA

He did a great job, hope he gets more roles going forward.

This. A lot of hype imo. A lot of good memes too though...
Finally saw this with wife, concept was about ten years too late, been there done that. I guess Malkovich and Bullock did what they could with this unoriginal retread. A real snorefest, especially if you had seen the others in this genre.

Reactions: cmanole
So what did everyone think of this? It’s the first Netflix movie I’ve ever watched and I thought it was solid. I watch much more TV these days than movies and I couldn’t help but think it would have been better as a 4-6 episode mini series. It just seemed like it could have been expanded on a lot more but I did enjoy it. I read that there actually was a scene filmed that showed what the “monster” actually looked like but they cut it because it looked so ridiculous. No doubt that was the right move.
I thought it was ok but I don’t get all the hype.

They also said that crappy ass Christmas movie with Kurt Russell was streamed over 40 million times. Yikes.

I enjoyed the movie. It was not groundbreaking or anything like that, but it was competent and entertaining.

I am always surprised by finding Sandra Bullock attractive.

Reactions: QuaZ2002
I enjoyed the movie. It was not groundbreaking or anything like that, but it was competent and entertaining.

I am always surprised by finding Sandra Bullock attractive.
Let's not get carried away with Bullock's attractiveness.

Movie lacked substance. The premise was fabricated merely to extract cheap scares. That said, it had its moments, and Bullock and Malkovich made it worth watching.

Total snooze fest. Netflix is not denying they counted auto play as part of its numbers. That is, if you hover over it or pause while reading about it, it will start to play. Now you could scroll down and not watch any further, but they will not confirm or deny they counted that. Also, if you start on one device and go to another, they’ll count that as two views. Once this was exposed, they issued a warning before the film asking viewers to not do the Bird Box challenge. A sort of natural selection where people do everyday tasks while blindfolded. What a gimmick. Horrible movie IMO.

Reactions: hatsbo
Quiet Place was so much superior it's predecessor that it's hard to give it much value despite getting a mega star in Bullock.

The non-personnel budget must've been pretty small. Like B movie sci-fi small.

They didn't even bother to CGI the monster

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT