ADVERTISEMENT

Blocking autoplay videos

ReliableOstrich

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Some of my favorite sites have begun using autoplay video ads, mostly Adobe Flash, that irritate the crap out of me and are making visits unbearable.

Anyone know of a good plug-in to block these ads altogether or prevent them from autoplaying?

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Actually I think I found a built in option within Chrome where you can enter the offending site's URL and it blocks flash. So far so good, but we'll see...

Actually I think I found a built in option within Chrome where you can enter the offending site's URL and it blocks flash. So far so good, but we'll see...
so damn annoying those auto play videos. No matter what I do, they always seems to crop back up.

I use the AdBlock plugin for Chrome and I never see autoplay videos...

SFNole

Reactions: ericram
so damn annoying those auto play videos. No matter what I do, they always seems to crop back up.
Go to your Chrome settings...
advanced
content settings
flash
and then enter the URL of the offending website

Done.

Reactions: ericram
Yeah. It annoys the crap out of me too and really causes the page to load slower and then refreshes and realigns links that I may have tried to click on before the page aligned and takes me to a different hyperlink.

Yeah. It annoys the crap out of me too and really causes the page to load slower and then refreshes and realigns links that I may have tried to click on before the page aligned and takes me to a different hyperlink.
I'm a day into using a combination of the Chrome setting I detailed above for Flash and an adblocker called Stands (https://www.standsapp.org/) and I've noticed pages loading much faster and freezing up much less.

Not sure if it was just an issue on my computer, but warchant message boards frequently froze up in the middle of scrolling down the page or typing out a reply. With the two fixes above, that problem is completely gone.

This did nothing for me on the auto video on the right hand side of warchant. However the rivals plugin for chrome removed it. Now I need to get used to the new view it provides on the message boards as that whole right column is gone and so the subject of the thread goes across the whole browser.

This did nothing for me on the auto video on the right hand side of warchant. However the rivals plugin for chrome removed it. Now I need to get used to the new view it provides on the message boards as that whole right column is gone and so the subject of the thread goes across the whole browser.
Better than that one video over and over and over... like the least they could do is have a variety of ads. I felt like I was getting waterboarded by digital ads.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT