ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking down how the OL improves

BigCleat42

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Aug 4, 2015
The line is clearly the key to our success. Here is why I believe we will see a marked improvement here..

Center
: I believe that Baveon Johnson will be much better than Alec Eberle who played on two bad hips and honestly is just a lesser talent than Big Bavy. Johnson was the nation’s top high school center and has looked very good this offseason. Sounds like the light has come on and he has really stepped up as a leader. Excited to see if he can live up to his potential. I also like the depth with Andrew Boselli and freshman Maurice Smith. Brady Scott could play center in a pinch as well.

Left Guard: Speaking of Brady Scott, he had to play out of position as an undersized freshman last year. He has put on 15-20 pounds of muscle and is now playing his natural position of guard. He looks to ready to contribute as a Sophomore. Should be a big step up from Arthur Williams who was a converted 4th string DT. Arthur had no business starting for us last year. I also like the depth of Christian Armstrong and Christian Meadows, both former 4 stars. Ira Henry looks like a future beast as well. One of the scariest looking dudes we have recruited in quite some time.

Right Guard: Dontae Lucas (just a man child) or Mike Arnold who started last year at guard and was our best lineman at times. Either will be an improvement over a constantly injured Derrick Kelly or Cole Minshew. They were the walking wounded all of last year. I have extremely high hopes for Lucas. I think he can potentially be the next Montrae Holland, Rodney Hudson All-American Gaurd for us. Just a special talent. Arnold looks like he has progressed as well. Not counting on Cole Minshew, but maybe he will surprise and contribute his senior year.

Interior of the line is going to be pretty good by my estimation. Tackle is the far bigger concern...

Left Tackle: Simply put, Jauan Williams was awful last year, but he played with a torn shoulder and it was his first year in action. His confidence was clearly shot and Frey did a terrible job of coaching him up Abdul Bello as well. Both were big-time recruits. Williams appears to be fully healthy, has put on 10-20 pounds of muscle and seems to have a great attitude and is getting proper coaching. Seems way more confident in himself. I think he goes from god awful to serviceable. Jalen Goss needs to add weight, but he is very long and athletic. Darius Washington looks like he is going to be really good. He is moving people out there in practice. Not sold on JUCO Jay Williams, but at least he is depth as a third or fourth stringer.

Right Tackle: Grad transfer Ryan Roberts looks like he has a good attitude, is intelligent and has pretty good technique. He has two years of college starting experience. Either he or redshirt freshman Chaz Neal will be the starter. Both will be an improvement over Brady Scott who was a 280 pound freshman playing out of position, or Abdul Bello who just didn’t look like he knew what he was doing. Thanks again Frey. Maybe Clements can work his magic with Abdul. He certainly looks the part. Now if he could only play with technique and aggression perhaps he could contribute. I don’t expect any sort of greatness here, but again a serviceable right tackle would suffice. It certainly can’t be worse than what we had last year.

Coaching: I fully expect Randy Clements to be a huge improvement over Greg Frey as a coach. Love what I am seeing out of him so far. He is also on the same page as his long-time OC Kendall Briles, which we clearly lacked last year with Frey and Bell. Add in that we now have actual depth (folks we played last season without 6 guys who could have been on the team in Brock Ruble, Josh Ball David Robbins, Corey Martinez, Ethan Frith, and Andrew Boselli.) The OL also appear to be in much better physical shape due to gains in the weight room thanks to Coach O. We are not currently ravaged by injuries (fingers crossed) which last year we were with Dickerson, Kelly, Minshew and Eberle.

Conclusion: Assuming there is no major hiccups, I believe the line will go from historically bad to at least below average. Perhaps even average, to dare I say even slightly above average. Just being decent is in itself a huge improvement when you really think about it. We were that atrocious last year. I think the tide is turning in our favor in 2019.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.