ADVERTISEMENT

Golf Brewer, Seminoles begin play in Fighting Illini Invitational on Friday

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Carson Brewer, a redshirt freshman at Florida State, has made a strong impression early in his collegiate golf career, earning recognition from both his father and the golf community.

Before golf became his passion, he was a versatile baseball player who excelled as a golden-glove shortstop and third baseman as well as on the mound as a fire balling pitcher.

Fortunately for the Florida State golf program, his baseball career ended because of recurring elbow issues.

Brewer's journey to golf then began in the sixth grade when his father, Clayton, suggested he try golf.

He did, and instantly found his passion.

"I went to the range with my father and ended up falling in love with golf," said Brewer.

His first trip to the range was his first exposure to the sport, which not only allowed him to develop his skills but deepened his bond with his father.

His father’s influence remains a key element to his success on the course.

"My dad had been playing for a while before I started and has always been a good player himself,” said Brewer. “It was fun to grow up and play a lot with him.”

Brewer’s dream foursome includes his dad, along with renowned golfers Scottie Scheffler and Tiger Woods.

While his dad’s influence played a crucial role in Brewer's golf journey, his mom has been equally supportive.

"My dad works a lot, so my mom has always been the one to take me to most of my junior tournaments,” said Brewer. “She’s also been there for practices and so many other aspects of my golf journey. I really wouldn’t have been able to accomplish what I have without both of them supporting me every step of the way."

As Brewer's love for the sport grew throughout middle and high school, so did his aspirations of pursuing a professional golf career.

"What I love most about golf is the constant grind — it pushes me to improve both physically and mentally,” said Brewer

The Brewer family decided that Florida State would provide the best environment for his growth and development as a golfer and a student-athlete.

"Being a student-athlete at Florida State has been great so far," said Brewer. "Even though it’s only been a year, I’ve learned a lot and developed my game in multiple areas. I chose to become a Seminole because I’m confident that the golf program and the university will prepare me for professional golf, which is my plan after graduation.”

Brewer did not play as a true freshman, opting to work on all phases of his game, while acclimating himself to balancing his academics with his demanding golf schedule.

“I learned to balance my academics and my golf responsibilities by setting a schedule where I felt I could be successful in both areas,” said Brewer.

Brewer’s choice to redshirt his true freshman season paid dividends quickly at the fall 2024 season-opening Folds of Honor Collegiate as he finished as Florida State’s leading golfer in the three-round tournament.

“Carson continued to work hard to fine tune his game during his redshirt year,” said senior Teammate Micheal Mays. “He remained positive when things weren’t going his way, and now he is starting to see results! He is always looking to learn.”

Brewer earned a spot in the Seminoles starting lineup for the Folds of Honor, and led the Seminoles with scores of 70 in the second and third rounds.

“Carson is extremely talented and has something to prove this season,” said Head Coach Trey Jones. “He learned a great deal last year from our older players. I always believe the biggest improvement is between a player's freshmen season and the next fall semester. I look for Carson to challenge our older guys and take advantage of his opportunities.”

In the second round, his bogey-free back nine featured three birdies, leading to a 3-under-par score of 70.

On day three of the championship, Brewer continued to excel with four birdies and 16 holes played at par or better. His front nine showcased his skill with three birdies and a 2-under-par score. Over the second and third rounds, he recorded a total of eight birdies and finished five strokes under par while finishing at 2 under over the final 36 holes.

Brewer tied for 19th place individually, contributing to Florida State’s sixth-place finish.

“My favorite moment from the folds of honor was probably playing on TV,” said Brewer. “It felt like a bigger moment to be a part of.”

As the season progresses, Brewer is focused on sharpening his game.

"I’m excited to keep improving while also learning that playing good golf isn’t life or death,” said Brewer. “It’s fun to play great courses and travel with my teammates."

Brewer's next challenge begins Friday at the 18th Annual Fighting Illini Invitational, hosted by Illinois at Olympia Fields, Illinois. The tournament is widely recognized for providing teams with an early-season test, drawing some of the top collegiate golfers each year.

This year, the Seminoles will compete in the tournament alongside teams from Illinois, North Carolina, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Alabama, Michigan, Stanford, Florida, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, and Baylor.

Live scoring will be on Golfstat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.