ADVERTISEMENT

Brisket Internal Temp

It'll probably dry out because you are going to render all the fat
I know of some top BBQ competitors that use high temperatures - 275-325 to cook their briskets. One of those frequently wins the brisket category.

Last edited:
Reactions: bryanscho
I know of some top BBQ competitors that use high temperatures - 275-325 to cook their briskets. One of those frequently wins the brisket category.

Correct. Hot and fast works just fine with brisket. Wrapping it and adding some liquid helps keep it moist and you cook it until it's tender. If you take it too far internal temp wise it will dry out but that has nothing to do with the temp you are cooking it at. You can get dry brisket cooking at 225 just as you can cooking at 325. It's all about understanding hiw the meat feels when you check it for tenderness.

We cooking competitively and finished ranked 9th in the country in Brisket for 2018. It's my fav meat to cook by far.

I can vouch for the brisket at Tex's. Absolutely the best brisket I've ever had. Went great with the fresh collards, black eyed peas and cornbread. Thanks, son! :)

Reactions: noleit and DFSNOLE
Are you cooking the whole brisket?

If so, how do hit the 200 temp evenly throughout?
Nearly impossible to accomplish. On a whole packer brisket the flat cooks faster than the point because it’s thinner and has less connective fat. Usually in competition BBQ once the flat reaches pull temperatures most will separate the point then cook it further for burnt ends

Reactions: DanC78
200 throughout is not achievable on a whole packer. The probe I had in the flat was 206. Point end was 192.

I let it rest for several hours.

That’s hardly a difference.

I cut mine in half before I cooked. Cooked the bigger half for 6 hours before then point went in.

When I took them out they were both 195.

So the difference would only be 10-15 degrees if I had not of cut?

That’s hardly a difference.

I cut mine in half before I cooked. Cooked the bigger half for 6 hours before then point went in.

When I took them out they were both 195.

So the difference would only be 10-15 degrees if I had not of cut?

Can't say for sure what the difference would be if you hadn't cut. Too many variables for that.

Reactions: DanC78
I can vouch for the brisket at Tex's. Absolutely the best brisket I've ever had. Went great with the fresh collards, black eyed peas and cornbread. Thanks, son! :)

Thanks and you're welcome. It was a great spread of food!!

USDA Prime briskets from Costco are worth it.

Reactions: noleit
But BBQ or smoked chicken....I can count on my two hands the number of restaurants that can get it right. Miss Myra’s in Birmingham, Big Bob Gibson in Huntsville, Cozy Corner in Memphis, Biguns BBQ in Brooksville FL, Country BBQ in Greensboro, NC and that’s about it. Everywhere else is dry and/or flavourless. But the rare highly flavoured and yet juicy chicken is worth it when you can find it.

If you're in Memphis and want chicken, skip the BBQ and go to Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken. I never eat fried food, but make this one exception.

If you're in Memphis and want chicken, skip the BBQ and go to Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken. I never eat fried food, but make this one exception.

That's what we ended up eating on New Year's Eve - champagne and a bucket of fried chicken. Pretty good night.

Reactions: noleit
Exactly. It’s the only real BBQ that takes skill. Any slapdick can cook pork.

Huh, well this slapdick ruined some pork butts this week. There were some extenuating circumstances as I smoked them during a wind storm. Apparently the cold temps and blowing wind led to the cooker burning thru all my fuel before I got up in the morning. I put them on at midnight and it was empty when I got up in the morning. Never had that happen before. Was down to 100 degrees for who knows how long before I refueled and restarted. Led to some dry pork. I made another two butts for my mom the next night and they came out great. Only used half the fuel.
Unfortunately my freezer is filled with the lousy stuff and hers with the good.
Oh - the wind destroyed my cabana too. Well, just shredded the fabric, but it looks a mess.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Huh, well this slapdick ruined some pork butts this week. There were some extenuating circumstances as I smoked them during a wind storm. Apparently the cold temps and blowing wind led to the cooker burning thru all my fuel before I got up in the morning. I put them on at midnight and it was empty when I got up in the morning. Never had that happen before. Was down to 100 degrees for who knows how long before I refueled and restarted. Led to some dry pork. I made another two butts for my mom the next night and they came out great. Only used half the fuel.
Unfortunately my freezer is filled with the lousy stuff and hers with the good.
Oh - the wind destroyed my cabana too. Well, just shredded the fabric, but it looks a mess.
Should have asked Santa for a cozy for your smoker.

Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT