ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Heath is low amateur at AIG Women's Open Championship

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State’s Charlotte Heath earned the Smyth Salver Award as the highest finishing amateur player at the AIG Women’s Open Championship at the Walton Heath Golf Club. The Seminoles’ rising senior and All-American finished her first professional tournament with scores of 73-72-74-76 for a four round total of 295. She completed play in a tie for 61st place in the standings, and as one of two amateur players in the field who advanced to the weekend of play in the four-round championship.

Heath, who ranks second in Florida State history with a career stroke average of 71.06, is the first English winner of the Smyth Salver Award since 2017.

"I have learned so much this week,” said Heath, who will earn her degree in Economics from Florida State in May. “The pros play so smart and take risk out of play. I think sometimes as an amateur you don't really think about that because if you come fourth or 10th it really doesn't matter that much, whereas if you're playing for money, there's a big difference in that.

"I think that's something to definitely follow going forwards. I'm going to Q-School, Stage 1, in two weeks’ time, and then after that, just back to the college season.”

Following Stage 1 of Q-School, Heath and her Florida State teammates begin play in their three-match fall season at the ANNIKA Intercollegiate at the Royal Golf Club in Lake Elmo, Minn.

The Smyth Salver Award has been presented to the top finishing amateur at the AIG (formerly The British Women’s Open) since 2003. Past winners include Michelle Wie (2005), Anna Nordquist (2008, Heath’s playing partner in the third round of the 2023 AIG), Leona McGuire (2016) and Rose Zhang (2022).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT