ADVERTISEMENT

Complete tear - rotator cuff

LLOYD72

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2001
Centennial, Colorado
I just got the MRI results. Two tendons are no longer attached. I'm sore but frustrated about the length of recovery after surgery. I have an appointment with a sports medicine ortho doc next week. Has anybody had this surgery? Any advice on shortening the recovery time? I hate thinking about being dormant for 4-6 months :(

Had rotator cuff and labrum surgery about 5 years ago(thank you baseball!). In a sling for 6 weeks then lots of strength and range of motion PT after the sling. Main thing to remember is you have to let the repairs heal while you are in a sling. My shoulder felt good after about 2 weeks but my doc was adamant that the repair takes 6-8 weeks to fully heal and you have to wear the sling or you risk reinjuring and going through the process again. Main thing the sling prevents you from doing is trying to use your arm for everyday stuff. After about 3 months I was able to resume working out with light weights and swimming laps.
Also, if they offer the shoulder block prior to surgery go for it. It numbs your whole arm and shoulder and lasts until sometime in the middle of the night. Definitely helped me with post-op pain.

There's no shortcut, and you don't want to rush it. Shoulders are relatively delicate (at least when compared to the knee). My surgeon said a typical labral tear takes a year before he considers it to be healed. I think I was in PT for 5-6 months. I was prohibited from active movement (where I used muscles to move my arm) for 6 weeks.

The nerve block is great, but it hurts when you get feeling back. Imagine the worst time your arm falls asleep ever. And then it's worse than that.

Was this a current injury, or something that has been going on for a while? I've had a problem with my right shoulder for years.

Was this a current injury, or something that has been going on for a while? I've had a problem with my right shoulder for years.

Yeah very annoying. I dislocated mine around 6 months ago. Gradually strength training seems to be working to reduce pain.

"Was this a current injury, or something that has been going on for a while? I've had a problem with my right shoulder for years." I rehabbed both of my shoulders about 20 years ago. It was a combination of old sports injures and an impingement. I tweaked my shoulder lifting weights about 3-4 weeks ago and 3 weeks ago my 4 year old landed on my left shoulder when I was lying on m,y back goofing around. So the current problem is an acute, recent injury so I am hopeful the surgery route works. Thanks for all of the input :)

Sorry to hear about the injury. Recovery time is not likely to be shortened by anything you do, but you certainly can make sure you don't lengthen it by not adhering to your post-op restrictions. For the 1st 6 seeks or so, your job to is make sure you don't screw up your surgeon's work (sutures and anchors used to reattach the tendons.) Do not actively use the shoulder during this time. Allow the repairs to heal and control inflammation/pain with modalities like ice and meds.

My MRI was diagnosed as rotator cuff, bicep combo. Just had surgery on leap Day, about 4 weeks ago. Turned out I was a atad luckier, my Bicep fell off with the slightest touch while in there. They left it unattached, no repair. My rotator cuff was damaged too, but not severely enough for full blown surgery. So he scraped the crap out of the underside, to agitate it into forcing it to try and heal on its own. I also had a big bone spur cut off.

At first I assumed all would be much faster recovery, but as others have said, these days they want super slow, cautious recovery, even in my case. I had 2 weeks of sling, no nothing but pain meds. I have yet to be able to sleep in my bed or flat on my back. Still in comfy recliner. My last two therapy sessions (i've now had 4 in 2 weeks) wore me out and this last one Friday has me hurting a lot. I am told, so far, that I am out untill at least May 222. Surgery was Feb 29th.

My bad motorcycle wreck was a year ago March 23rd. Had slight tear and pain then from wreck. Then about 3 months ago on two separate occasions with 3 days, i heard a major popping in my R shoulder. One from lifting my 40Lb squirming dog, and one happened at work, lifting cases from up high. A few days later, second scan and they saw much more damage, thus the surgery. I'm still lucky it was not full blown rotator cuff, But they almost treat recovery as such.

Good luck, do not wait to get fixed, the more damage you do, it is often harder to repair they say, and explained the multiple reasons why and how come it could be.

There's no shortcut, and you don't want to rush it. Shoulders are relatively delicate (at least when compared to the knee). My surgeon said a typical labral tear takes a year before he considers it to be healed. I think I was in PT for 5-6 months. I was prohibited from active movement (where I used muscles to move my arm) for 6 weeks.

The nerve block is great, but it hurts when you get feeling back. Imagine the worst time your arm falls asleep ever. And then it's worse than that.
This is great advice. My son had rotator cuff/ labrum surgery after the football season of his junior year of high school. He returned too early so he could participate in spring practice. Ended up tearing it again and had a second surgery the week he got out of school for the summer. It never healed properly. He missed his senior season. Ended up having a third surgery this time to repair the bicep tendon. Ended up detaching and reattaching it with an absorbable screw. Three shoulder surgeries in about 14 months. Sucked for him.

This is great advice. My son had rotator cuff/ labrum surgery after the football season of his junior year of high school. He returned too early so he could participate in spring practice. Ended up tearing it again and had a second surgery the week he got out of school for the summer. It never healed properly. He missed his senior season. Ended up having a third surgery this time to repair the bicep tendon. Ended up detaching and reattaching it with an absorbable screw. Three shoulder surgeries in about 14 months. Sucked for him.

Oh gosh, that's awful. Is he okay now?

I had two absorbable screws and some permanent sutures for my torn labrum. The humerus would sublux and get stuck (like if I rolled over in my sleep with my arm under my head), and my surgeon said I had two options. Either do nothing...it would continue to sublux/things would tear worse/more subluxations until I needed a total replacement in 20-30 years, or I could get it done now. Pretty easy choice.

I had my 1 year follow up, and he told me to still be careful doing overhead stuff...and I told him I'd just painted the bathroom ceiling. "Don't mess up my work!"

Oh gosh, that's awful. Is he okay now?

I had two absorbable screws and some permanent sutures for my torn labrum. The humerus would sublux and get stuck (like if I rolled over in my sleep with my arm under my head), and my surgeon said I had two options. Either do nothing...it would continue to sublux/things would tear worse/more subluxations until I needed a total replacement in 20-30 years, or I could get it done now. Pretty easy choice.

I had my 1 year follow up, and he told me to still be careful doing overhead stuff...and I told him I'd just painted the bathroom ceiling. "Don't mess up my work!"
He's about 6 years removed from it now and he's back in the gym. Range of motion is good but his strength is not the same from side to side. It's his life now and he's adjusted to it.

Could you still cook, clean and sew with the other hand? Sounds like a real nightmare for your significant other.....

eN4Coy7dxkNMc.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT