ADVERTISEMENT

Consortium of Big12-SEC-ACC? Impact of ND?

northvanole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
May 2, 2003
I read Corey's article about saving the UF-FSU game even if that means some ACC teams play 9 games and FSU plays 10. I didn't think that made any sense as far as working within the ACC to find a way to play in 2020 (although I do agree with his comment that if Pitt objected, why don't we tell them to shut up until they actually contribute to the conference)

But something is happening that may provide an opportunity to make it work out. The Big 12 has only 10 teams and can play only 9 conference games, and apparently they have no interest in each team doing a home and away with one member to get to 10 conference games. They are still pursuing having an OOC game part of the schedule. But how many - one or three? Do they have one OOC game and ten games overall, or are they going to try for 12 games? Enter the SEC, their partners in the Sugar Bowl. Those two conferences may be talking about working some sort of OOC arrangement - and the SEC still wants the ACC games as well. For now. In addition to the four annual rivalries, there were games scheduled this year between UGA-UVA, UNC-Auburn and Miss State-NCState. I am not sure if the latter three are getting the same mojo as the four in state games,
but apparently everything is on the table.

What will the ACC do? The Big Ten and PAC 12 clearly are working in unison. Is the ACC about to focus solely on ND, with the ACC playing the part of Charlie Brown kicking the football that Lucy-ND always pulls away?

Swofford was clearly caught flat footed when he learned that the SEC and Big 12 created their Sugar Bowl Alliance, costing us millions each year in an Orange Bowl having a smaller payout because it can never host two P5 conference winners.

What if ND wants 10 ACC games just for 2020 and promises to "look more closely at full membership" after 2020? Frankly, any alliance with the SEC and the Big 12 is better in the long run for our region of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. And it would be a better schedule in 2020 than home and away with 5 other ACC teams in the same year. It may be time to fish or cut bait with ND.

The SEC AD's meet today in Birmingham.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News