ADVERTISEMENT

Cookout on West Pensacola

I have never heard of Cookout before. I see that they opened a location (in the spot where one of my favorite BBQ places used to be) in Montgomery, Alabama. I will have to check it out the next time I am back.
They are very popular in North and South Carolina, their burgers are charbroiled, their BBQ is really good for "fast food". They have the most diverse menu I've ever seen in a fast food restaurant.

They are very popular in North and South Carolina, their burgers are charbroiled, their BBQ is really good for "fast food". They have the most diverse menu I've ever seen in a fast food restaurant.
Very quick drive up food. Your Doc will not approve. Close to 40 shakes. Again not healthy, but fun.
I often walk down the street for lunch and simply get a couple of chicken wraps and a shake.
I have a tick induced allergy to mammal meat products, so the chicken is my go to.
Before the allergy, outwest double burger was my gig.
They have a kinda funky menu that encourages platters of multiple wants. Study it ahead of ordering to get the most cost effective order.

Last edited:
Very quick drive up food. Your Doc will not approve. Close to 40 shakes. Again not healthy, but fun.
I often walk down the street for lunch and simply get a couple of chicken wraps and a shake.
I have a tick induced allergy to mammal meat products, so the chicken is my go to.
Before the allergy, outwest double burger was my gig.
They have a kinda funky menu that encourages platters of multiple wants. Study it ahead of ordering to get the most cost effective order.
If you like a sloppy burger, try the Out West Style. The tray options are kinda tricky to figure out, but they offer a lot of food, cheap.

Oh man, I have had so many JitB tacos, egg rolls, munchie meals, etc. on the way home from a really late night at work. I would have absolutely loved having a location in Tallahassee when I was in college.

The Sourdough Jack is an absolute classic. It's the closest thing to an old school patty melt that I have found at a drive-through.

For a while they had a "Munchie Meal" exclusive burger that was called the Stacked Grilled Cheeseburger. It was a standard Jumbo Jack cheeseburger with the top bun replaced with a sourdough grilled cheese sandwich. It was ridiculously rich.

My favorite Munchie Meal exclusive burger, though, was the Hella-peño burger. It was an Ultimate Cheeseburger topped with jalapeño poppers, chopped jalapeños, and nacho cheese.

My most frequent order has typically been egg rolls and tacos. It's a lot of flavorful food for very little money.

My most frequent order has typically been egg rolls and tacos. It's a lot of flavorful food for very little money.

I've made their tacos a few times from YT recipes. No JiTB in Tampa so it's make your own or go without.

Making Jack in the Box Tacos with Joshua Weissman!

Former Jack in the Box employee shows one big ingredient that Joshua missed

• Love
Reactions: BrainVision
That second video is more legit, but I will watch anything with Brie Larson.

The tacos are still 2 for $.99 at my local JitB. And on Tuesdays, they are free!

Rotating through the weekly free/reduced taco nights at JitB and Del Taco kept me alive in graduate school.

Why copy a fast food chain breakfast taco? Make your own, it's so easy. Scrambled eggs, sausage, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, pico de gallo or salsa, and anything else you might want in them.

Reactions: GeddyLee09
Has anyone else been to Del Taco?? My wife and I went there today, and we were both disappointed. I know it is fast food Mexican, but I just felt it was not much better than Taco Bell. I expected more.

:) Perhaps unsurprisingly, I have been to Del Taco many, many times. My sister-in-law loves Del Taco so much that she requires that it be the first stop upon arriving in Los Angeles and the last stop upon leaving.

It's not like In-N-Out or Fatburger, where you can order anything on the menu and expect it to be good. The burgers at Del Taco are mediocre, as are a lot of the bigger burritos. Yet, it has some absolute jewels on the menu.

Their grilled chicken taco is one of my all-time favorite fast food items. The sauce is a perfect complement to the meat, lettuce, cheese, and soft tortilla. And they do a special on Thursdays that makes them ridiculously cheap.

Their "street tacos," which they name "del carbon" are a very good chain facsimile of actual street tacos, and the carne asada, in particular, is a legit stand-in when you have a craving and there are no street vendors around.

On the burrito side, I stick with the basics: bean and beef combo or bean & cheese.

Their hot sauces are very good. Del Scorcho is my favorite, but their mild and Del Inferno have a better flavor than the comparable Taco Bell sauces.

And I do not denigrate Taco Bell. They have some classics on their menu, and I routinely make a homemade version of the "Big Beef Meximelt" to satisfy cravings.

Has anyone else been to Del Taco?? My wife and I went there today, and we were both disappointed. I know it is fast food Mexican, but I just felt it was not much better than Taco Bell. I expected more.
They opened one near Santa Rosa Beach and I stopped. It was ok but I just got plain tacos. I prefer Taco Bell original crunchy to Del Taco though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrainVision

I remember there being a Del Taco at 1506 W Tennessee St in 1986 or so. It replaced a Krystal. The Del Taco closed fairly quickly and was replaced by a Taco Bell which continues to operate at that location.

A Del Taco opened in Orlando over 10 years ago near I-4 and the Turnpike. I would hit the drive thru anytime I was driving past there late at night. The crispy tacos are decent. I haven't been back to Del Taco since White Castle opened several exits west on I-4 in 2021.

This YT influencer demonstrates how current day Del Taco has declined in quality compared to the old days.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianNole777
We still miss Taco Bueno after all these years.
Wife used to work in Purchasing at their corporate headquarters here.....until she got layed off. We don't eat there anymore. Also, best thing that happened to her workwise.

Reactions: goldmom
There was one remaining Lum’s in Davie but it closed probably over a decade ago. They used to advertise on Neil Rogers’ show but I never made it over there. I went to Lum’s many times when I was little and there was a location on every major street in Miami.

Yes I remember, "Steamed in beer"
They were absolutely the best. Even Tally had one way out West Tennessee St. back in the day. We used to go to the one on South Dixie near LeJeune a lot.

We have several Whataburgers opening recently in Jax but we went to a new one on Southside Blvd and were disappointed. Brunell did get poor advice on his franchise locations.

Drove by the Thomasville Road one yesterday and it’s still busy.

Reactions: seminoleed
Wife used to work in Purchasing at their corporate headquarters here.....until she got layed off. We don't eat there anymore. Also, best thing that happened to her workwise.
I miss the Mexi Dips and Chips and the Frozen Lemonade.

They were absolutely the best. Even Tally had one way out West Tennessee St. back in the day. We used to go to the one on South Dixie near LeJeune a lot.

We have several Whataburgers opening recently in Jax but we went to a new one on Southside Blvd and were disappointed. Brunell did get poor advice on his franchise locations.

Drove by the Thomasville Road one yesterday and it’s still busy.
I used to live walking distance from that Whataburger. Many a night at Leon Pub ended up with a 3AM double cheeseburger with jalapeños and ranch dressing added.

I used to live walking distance from that Whataburger. Many a night at Leon Pub ended up with a 3AM double cheeseburger with jalapeños and ranch dressing added.
Fred’s Back Door Lounge was next to that Whataburger, so we stopped in from time to time. I also remember my ole man buying gallon jugs of root beer from Whataburger.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Fred’s Back Door Lounge was next to that Whataburger, so we stopped in from time to time. I also remember my ole man buying gallon jugs of root beer from Whataburger.
I definitely bought gallons of sweet tea from Guthries on occasion. Speaking of which, I was having a craving for a Gut Box, and there are just no options for anything like that here. So, I made a ton of copycat fingers and sauce. I use this recipe, but it doesn't taste right until I add at least twice the amount of black pepper and it sits at least 24 hours.

Reactions: goldmom
I don't do a lot of fast food anymore but if there was still Long John Silvers around it would be hard to pass up. Not sure what it was I liked about that artery clogging fried chicken and fish, but it was good.

They recently opened one in DeFuniak just south of the interstate. I haven't been yet but I'm sure I will.
I saw the Del Taco going in but didnt see the Long Johns. Is it by the Chic Filet?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT