ADVERTISEMENT

Daytripping from Vegas to the Grand Canyon

OrlandNole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Nov 29, 2003
I'm going to be in Vegas next month for a conference and thinking about taking a day trip to the grand canyon.

A.) If my flight arrives at 8:30 AM and I head straight to the GC after picking up my rental, what time can I reasonably expect to be back in Vegas?

B.) What are the must-see items, keeping in mind that this is a day trip?

Thanks!

It's about 2.5 hours each way.

We just did the bus tour that's included in the price of mission (~$40, I think) at Hulapai (or whatever they're called) Indian Reservation.

It makes 3 stops for you to get off and take pictures. 1 of the stops, the first one, is completely worthless. The other 2 are breathtaking though. One of those stops has the Skywalk that you can pay an extra $40-$50 to go out on, but I'm scared of heights so I wanted no part of that sucker. That whole process takes 1-1.5 hours.

So 5 hours of driving + 1.5 hours of sightseeing = 6.5 hours of total time on the trip. If you can get to your rental car by 9:30am, I'd say you're back in Vegas by 4:00ish.

Safe travels and have a blast!

Thanks, Les! For some reason I thought the trip took much longer. Do you buy the bus ticket in advance or when you get there?

When you arrive at the Indian Reservation, you go in and register/pay for what you want. You don't have to do anything in advance. The standard ticket just gets you the bus tour (which is what most people do), but you can add on the skywalk and/or helicopter rides too at the time you get there.

Here's the link to the place you'll be going to: http://www.grandcanyonwest.com/

I drove to the south rim and back in a day from Vegas. It was about 5 hours each way I think. We spent $20 to get in the park, walked around a bit, took some photos and went back. It was about a 13 hour day, when it was all said and done.

Mapquest says it is 277 miles to the South Rim. It was well worth the trip IMHO.

The North Rim which has the skywalk is only a couple of hours away. The south rim is about 5. The North Rim is an easy day trip. You can probably add in a side trip to the Hoover Dam as well if you wished. The South Rim is more developed and probably nicer.

Go out there a day early and drive the 5 hrs and spend the night at one of the south rim hotels. See the sunset. In the morning take one of the south rim on and off buses and enjoy a couple of hours there seeing different parts. Maybe hike down a bit on one of the trails.

On way back to Vegas stop by the Hoover dam. It's a must see if ur driving that way anyway.

Go out there a day early and drive the 5 hrs and spend the night at one of the south rim hotels. See the sunset. In the morning take one of the south rim on and off buses and enjoy a couple of hours there seeing different parts. Maybe hike down a bit on one of the trails.

On way back to Vegas stop by the Hoover dam. It's a must see if ur driving that way anyway.

Very much this.

The North Rim which has the skywalk is only a couple of hours away. The south rim is about 5. The North Rim is an easy day trip. You can probably add in a side trip to the Hoover Dam as well if you wished. The South Rim is more developed and probably nicer.

Skywalk is not on the north rim. In fact it's not even on the Colorado river. It's on a side canyon off the south side of the river.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

You mean the West Rim has the skywalk and is close to Vegas. The North rim is opposite the South Rim and is quite far from Vegas, much closer to Phoenix.

Btw, the skywalk blows and is not worth the money. You can't even take pictures from there anyways as they confiscate your camera before you go in so you have to pay $100 (no joke) for them to take a %*%*y picture of you out there. It sounds amazing on paper but in reality, you can see far more just by walking up to the edge at the free spot right beside the skywalk.

Also, I encourage anyone who has only done the West Rim to come back at some point and do the South Rim, Desert View("East Rim") and North Rim. While the West Rim is impressive but that point the river is a dirty brown and not bright blue and the rock formations are kind of a uniform brown instead of the more colourful Reds and yellows you get out to the East. If you think the West Rim is a 10 (and it is), then the South Rim and Desert View knocks it up to 11.

By all means visit the Tower at the East Rim. Great gift shop built during the Depression by native Americans. And 76 is right the colors are wonderful

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Thanks, everyone. For this trip, I'll stick with the West Rim but hope to come back and do the full experience.

For my next thread I'll ask about hookers and blow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT