ADVERTISEMENT

Dealing with terrorism threats

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
DFS, if not ok sorry and please delete.

Not interested in discussing any political or religious aspects of terrorism, but am curious if you have changed any of your behaviors in the past few years in light of the rash of less sophisticated terrorist incidents?

I try to be much more aware and not linger at crowded public places, especially when at unsecured areas of airports. When dining somewhere I like to have my back to the wall and when overseas avoid outside cafes or dining areas near the street. My head is on a swivel when using subways and other public transportation.

What about you?

Just an increased awareness when I'm at places that might be more susceptible to attack - like when I was in London and Paris, and when I go into the touristy areas of DC.

I don't...maybe I should? It just seems that the odds of getting in the middle of something like that are pretty minuscule.

I have quite a bit of experience living in a country with a lot of terrorist activities. What we were taught and how we lived in Peru, doesn't go away. But, interestingly enough, it was the violent crime that I was a victim of in Tallahassee that truly altered my life.

I don't...maybe I should? It just seems that the odds of getting in the middle of something like that are pretty minuscule.
I would agree with this especially living in rural NW Florida. Having 6 or 7 military bases within a 75-100 mile radius gives you a sense of security whether it should or not.

I have quite a bit of experience living in a country with a lot of terrorist activities. What we were taught and how we lived in Peru, doesn't go away. But, interestingly enough, it was the violent crime that I was a victim of in Tallahassee that truly altered my life.

If you don't mind talking about it what happened in Tallahassee to you?

I've posted on a similar topic over the last year or so on the LR. I ride public transit daily and have literally seen 1 incident in the 12 years I have been taking it.

However, given the crap we've seen in London, Paris and now Barca I am always keeping an eye on things on the train. I love it when there are police patrolling the Marta stations--- even if it's just one guy and isn't likely to thwart a bomb attack or car mowing people down but it still gives me more of a sense of security.

I know the likelihood of something happening is low and we cannot alter our lives because of the terroists but we do need to be observant instead of having our heads buried in the phone...

If you don't mind talking about it what happened in Tallahassee to you?

My girlfriend and I were walking to her apartment at Spanish Oaks when two guys got the jump on us as we went up the stairs. They shot her and stuck the .22 to my head while the other grabbed our stuff and ran

My girlfriend and I were walking to her apartment at Spanish Oaks when two guys got the jump on us as we went up the stairs. They shot her and stuck the .22 to my head while the other grabbed our stuff and ran

Holy cow. Sorry. You didn't say and I'm not trying to be foolish for asking but did your girlfriend live?

Just so it's clear as it was deleted my joke wasn't about you or the incident. It was unrelated and intended to lighten the mood.

Interesting question, for me nothing really has changed; I was always alert and had good SA. The question is interesting since at my connecting flight in Atlanta this morning we were the last gate in A terminal. Just sitting there and all of the sudden you could hear commotion about 40-60 meters away. Then it gets louder and I hear a woman yell stop, stop him as I look down the terminal I see a man in robes moving our direction and a woman chasing him. Put my stuff down and start moving that direction, but someone much closer to him stopped the guy. All I could think was great all the crap I have survived and I am going to get blown up in an airport. The situation was resolved and I think the guy took her bag or something; there was a Delta employee in the chase too.

Given recent incidents in Europe and Britain I guess it's wise to always walk facing traffic. What a world.
Other than that i got nothing.

Honestly no. I have always tried to be alert to my surroundings and I don't travel very much anywhere other than to Tally for games. And even if travelling to what would be considered higher risk locations like NYC,etc. I think I would always be on high alert not just necessarily for what many would consider terrorist attacks but even being pick pocketed etc. And honestly, I believe that a majority of people in the world are good and even the ones that aren't necessarily good are not evil enough to do these acts of blowing themselves up to kill others or driving into a crowded area or go on a mass shooting spree. And in many cases even if you were more cautious, there is still a good possibility if you were in the line of one of these acts that it happens so fast you wouldn't be able to stop it. Unless you go extremely cautious and do things like: only walk where there is a barrier that would stop a vehicle, have personal armed body guards watch your surroundings when in an open area and capable of taking down a vehicle or other threat or always wearing full body armor and hope they don't get a head shot if shooting. I mean honestly what the heck are you going to do to be more cautious that you think could prevent something like this from happening. I guess if you never paid attention and say always had ear buds in listening to music or always looking at phone when in these public places, what exactly are you doing that would be deemed more cautious?

I stay alert.

Other than that nothing.

I was just in Beirut, Amman, Doha and have no qualms about visiting other parts of the world.

I'm aware of my surroundings, subconsciously keep an eye on how to get out of places. But refuse to let anything alter my way of life.

The world is a beautiful place and I plan on seeing as much of it as possible before I check out. Fear won't change that.

Just so it's clear as it was deleted my joke wasn't about you or the incident. It was unrelated and intended to lighten the mood.

I never thought that. Yes; she lived. The bullet went through her small intestine and pierced her large intestine. Luckily, she did not have to permanently wear a colostomy bag. While we were together she had two more surgeries and a hospital stay without surgery because of bowel obstructions due to adhesions. I haven't spoken with her for quite a long time, so don't know how she is doing today.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I never thought that. Yes; she lived. The bullet went through her small intestine and pierced her large intestine. Luckily, she did not have to permanently wear a colostomy bag. While we were together she had two more surgeries and a hospital stay without surgery because of bowel obstructions due to adhesions. I haven't spoken with her for quite a long time, so don't know how she is doing today.

Did they catch the guys?

Did they catch the guys?

They caught the shooter. My understanding was that his family is very well known to law enforcement officers between Tally and Thomasville. When the detective went to arrest him, they thought she was there to arrest two other cousins. He was the baby boy of the family and grandma hired a lawyer for him. The case sat around for 4 years because the assist. state attorney was hesitate to prosecute a case based on cross-racial witness identification. It got assigned to really good younger lawyer, and in 2000 he was convicted on two counts (felony assault and felony robbery) but found not guilty on attempted murder in the second degree. e judge gave him 14 and 11 consecutively (which is unheard of, it is usually concurrently, but he was a bad dude). I think he will start serving his time for our crime after completing the murder conviction that he allegedly committed between our crime and when he was arrested.

Yes.

Was at Centinial Park in Atlanta with family having a day out; and out of the blue I had a very weird feeling and felt very exposed and defenseless. I began to get paranoid and started having terrible thoughts of someone trying to harm everyone. I packed up the family and left immediately. My kids were little upset, but is what it is.

I get paranoid in movie theaters because of the way it is set up. I try not to do anything stupid in traffic when someone cuts me off etc, especially when kids are in car.

Other than that I am not overly cautious. I dont think of being attacked when at local restaurants or grocery shopping.

No. Odds of death by terrorism are still less than odds of death due to being crushed by furniture. And I don't worry about that either. I worry about my kids, I worry about my health, I worry about retirement, I worry about my parents, I worry about our leadership. I don't worry about someone blowing me up or running me over while I'm traveling.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
To the original point, I was nearly a victim of terrorists but I haven't changed my behaviour.

I worked for Kodak during the Atlanta Olympics and worked the lunch shifts at our exhibition in the CNN Center and a Midafternoon to night shift in the Super Center in Cenenniial Park (a temporary mini mall of exhibits made from an Air Force temporary hangar and since removed from the Park). The AT&T Pavilion where the free concerts went on was literally next door to the Super Center where I worked. Normally I watched the free concerts entirely before heading home and typically (not always but typically) I stood right where the bomb went off. But this time my work ran over and I was tired so I just walked past it and got on the closest Marta station to Centennial Park.

While waiting in the underground subway station (probably usually no wait but right before and during the Olympics it was always packed with tourists so I waited at least 20 minutes or so. Right before I got on I felt a little shudder that was strong enough I noticed it but not so much I was concerned at all and got on the subway. When I got home I was exhausted so I just went to bed. My girlfriend at the time worked later than I did by a couple of hours so she woke me frantically. Apparently she, my mother and everyone had been frantically calling me for hours while I slept away.

So was I really in danger of being blown up by a terrorist? No, not really I was far enough away from the bomb blast I didn't recognize it for what it was. But could I have been killed if I hadn't been more tired than usual? Absolutely, I likely would have been at least wounded.

Last edited by a moderator:
And we're off...

I'm aware. I see a bag left alone for more than 5 minutes, I'm alerting someone. I won't not go to a big event, but my antennae are up. I guess it's just my airline background.

The couple of dozen shootings in town this summer scare me. I come and go to FSU frequently and have always cut through Frenchtown now I go the long way around no more Basin, Alabama, Brevard or Woodward Streets for me.

Last edited:
And we're off...

I'm aware. I see a bag left alone for more than 5 minutes, I'm alerting someone. I won't not go to a big event, but my antennae are up. I guess it's just my airline background.

You saw that too huh

I'll be flying to SLC with a stop in ATL on 9/11. You better believe I'll be aware of my surroundings.

we went to Ireland the last 10 days of July. Part of the reason was because we shied away from London and Paris. No, we didn't go to Belfast, but mainly because we spent most of our time to the south and west: Ring of Kerry, Wild Atlantic Way, etc.

I live in one of the 'stans and never give terrorism a thought; occasionally a co-worker will point out a bearded 20-something dude in traditional garb and claim they are "out here recruiting", but it has always sounded like BS to me. If they are truly spreading the word (whatever Al Qaida's message is) they are in the wrong office complex and doing a horrible job. I'm more concerned with corrupt police extorting for chump change: I was delayed while walking into a bar one night, but after turning over my wallet the officers didn't touch the money, preferring to ask me questions about Los Angeles after looking over my driver's license.

Last year was travel-heavy, and I had no problems whatsoever:

- Moscow, mostly sucked but the locals were nicer than anticipated; nobody concerned with terrorism
- United Arab Emirates; Dubai sucked, Abu Dabi and Ras al Khaima were fine, the people everywhere were awesome
- Paris twice; no problems at all, people were meh
- South of France; right after the attack in Nice; people were "alerted" but were more interested in honoring the victims than they were scare to be the next ones
- London; no problems at all, nobody concerned with terrorism

I have never been to the really risky countries, but in the ones I have been to nobody talks about terrorism unless it's in the recent headlines.

2016-07-18%2016.17.09_1.jpg

in Montpelier, in honor of the Nice victims

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Hate to say it but i'm really shocked this doesn't happen here.
How complicated or difficult is it to figure out where a crowd of people are and hop on the sidewalk with a cargo van...Seems like a pretty easy target that wouldn't take much planning.

How complicated or difficult is it to figure out where a crowd of people are and hop on the sidewalk with a cargo van...Seems like a pretty easy target that wouldn't take much planning.

Very true and there are even cheaper ways for a terrorist attack to not only shut down our economy, but kill I would say 300-500 people in very short order. The type of attacks I am thinking of are not hard to plan or execute, and while I would like to think that they haven't occurred because our government is so good at protecting us I doubt that is the reason. Sadly it is just a matter of time before we likely see regular events that will be characterized as terrorists attacks and they will come from radical Islam, the radical left or right and other groups who have a bunch of crazy's in them who are just looking for some insane way to make a point. Hopefully I am wrong, but I see a country that is more and more polarized, less and less restrained in how they protest or react to something they disagree with, less unchecked in what they think they can say etc. Just look at some of the things that are posted on social media nowadays and that often translates to people thinking they can say/do similar things in person. I will also say that the media is not at all helpful with how they report or what they report. The media is less and less about news and more and more about taking a side and creating sensationalism. If you work people up into a frenzy, then it is only a matter of time till you get people acting/doing things we are seeing on a more regular basis.
Not nearly on the same scale as what we see happening on a national scale, recently a 40 plus year old woman who has kids and a successful business cyber bullied my 16 y/o daughter, calling her a loser and a b**** etc. When I think that someone with this type of background and education is willing to do something like this it tells me people have lost their moral compass, can justify anything if they want to and IMO it is only a matter of time till they take things to the next level.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
this really goes to show you that folks are generally not as bad or crazy as some would like to believe.

if some of the overblown statistics about 'radicalization' were true, we'd be seeing some of these things way more often in the states (and abroad). the fact that we don't means folks aren't as fringe as many would suggest.

it would be great if we could keep things that way by embracing each other, making sure those who are different feel welcome and included -- that's the #1 terrorism prevention tactic. make an effort to reach out to folks and just be a friend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT