ADVERTISEMENT

Deangelo Williams fined

PazNole

Star Player
Mar 17, 2012
Just heard he was fined for raising awareness for breast cancer!! I thought little of the NFL and now I think it's a total joke. Im not watching another game

I stopped watching the NFL years ago. I've tried to get back into a little bit this year b/c of Jameis, but I still can't do it. It's just not an exciting product to watch, IMO.

Same thing with Heyword trying to honor his dad by writing Iron Head on his eye black. Seems like whenever the players actually try to do some good the NFL fines them for it.

They have uniform rules and they violated them. It's not that complicated. Even Brandon Marshall, who has purposely violated the uniform rules in the past, now says he gets it and agrees with the NFL.

I watch College and the NFL and I have to say... Even the worst NFL game is better than the bullcrap games we get playing D2 schools or crappy D1 schools like Wake and Duke.

Hopefully the money will go to cancer RESEARCH. This whole "cancer awareness" push is a scam. It's safe to say the vast majority of the population are aware of cancer and (in general) its effects. Would be nice if the money was actually used to help find treatments/cures rather than line someone's pockets "reminding" us that it's a real thing.

The NFL only supports it if they are getting a cut. I hate the pink outs in October.

DeAngelo is a good guy. I have a feeling a few fines won't stop him. Wondering when the NFL will tell him he can't have pink in his dreads anymore.

It's really odd to me that the NFL chooses specifically breast cancer awareness and not any other type of cancer. The cynic in me thinks they choose breast cancer to try and attract more female fans.

Reactions: JMGNole
Same thing with Heyword trying to honor his dad by writing Iron Head on his eye black. Seems like whenever the players actually try to do some good the NFL fines them for it.

If they are going to fine players for stuff like that, it would be nice if the fines went to the charity, instead of, I don't know, supplementing Roger Goodell's $35 million salary.

It's really odd to me that the NFL chooses specifically breast cancer awareness and not any other type of cancer. The cynic in me thinks they choose breast cancer to try and attract more female fans.
This, that and the pink stuff sells like crazy. I am all for awareness and finding a cure but at this point it is played out and just a money grab. The money spent on $150 pink cleats or $50 on pink gloves would be better served donated to research.

NFL only cares about itself and its corporate partners. You could have the cure to cancer written as a chemical formula on your wrist tape for everyone to see but if the NFL didn't profit from it, they'd fine you.

Totally agree. This becomes even more obvious when you realize how little of the revenue generated from sales of NFL pink merchandise actually goes towards any legit cancer research. The whole October pink thing is a ploy to market to women and sell more merch. NFL gives two shits about eradicating breast cancer.

TL;DR: Goodell is a greedy, self-serving asshat who's so isolated from reality that even members of Congress would find him too narcissistic.

Reactions: BelemNole
The NFL only supports it if they are getting a cut. I hate the pink outs in October.

DeAngelo is a good guy. I have a feeling a few fines won't stop him. Wondering when the NFL will tell him he can't have pink in his dreads anymore.
I think the dreads are one of the main things the NFL is looking at. He is not allowed to wear them once October is over and Williams was planning on wearing them all season in support of his mom.

If they are going to fine players for stuff like that, it would be nice if the fines went to the charity, instead of, I don't know, supplementing Roger Goodell's $35 million salary.

From what I've read, the fine money collected does all go to charitable causes. The charities change periodically, I think which charities get the $ is part of the NFLPA union contract.
========
From the NFL website:
The fines collected do not go to the NFL, but instead go to programs for former players. The Players Association and the league have agreed to donate fine money through the NFL Foundation to the NFL Player Care Foundation and the Gene Upshaw Players Association’s Player Assistance Trust.
The Player Care Foundation, an independent organization dedicated to helping retired players improve their quality of life, provides programs and assistance with medical, emotional, financial, social and community issues.
The Gene Upshaw Players Assistance Trust assists former players who are facing financial hardship due to unforeseen crisis, unaffordable medical situations and helps those who wish to go back to school to finish their undergraduate degrees.
Since 2009, about $4 million a year has gone to help former players.
========

So at least the money is going into an organization that the player made rely on for assistance.

I have no problem with it. They violated the dress code. That said, the fines should be the minimum and the money should go to a cancer charity.

I do believe I heard somewhere the reason for the breast cancer awareness is in fact to appease/appeal/draw more females.
I get what DW is wanting to do but where does it stop if he is allowed to skirt the rules. I say rules are rules...

I do believe I heard somewhere the reason for the breast cancer awareness is in fact to appease/appeal/draw more females.
I get what DW is wanting to do but where does it stop if he is allowed to skirt the rules. I say rules are rules...

How dare anyone question rules? We would be much better off if everyone just blindly obeys all rules made by those in power and with the most money. If people want to make a statement about a charitable cause, then they should make sure to pay enough money to those who make the rules.

If he draws enough attention to this, those rules may no longer be rules.

There is such a thing as necessary trouble in order to push for change.

Reactions: Gonolz
How dare anyone question rules? We would be much better off if everyone just blindly obeys all rules made by those in power and with the most money. If people want to make a statement about a charitable cause, then they should make sure to pay enough money to those who make the rules.

Yea...just let the players wear want they want....maybe they can put stickers all over their helmets, have some stores sewn on their jerseys....be just like nascar...
BTW- isn't this what the offseason is for? negotiating and what not... they are in a union, get paid millions of dollars and have agreed on the rules set forth by the league(dumb or not)

Yea...just let the players wear want they want....maybe they can put stickers all over their helmets, have some stores sewn on their jerseys....be just like nascar...
BTW- isn't this what the offseason is for? negotiating and what not... they are in a union, get paid millions of dollars and have agreed on the rules set forth by the league(dumb or not)

Good point. I guess the union should negotiate more for exceptions that make sense to rules stated in absolutes.

NFL is only concerned about making money. If your pink ribbons or eye black makes them money they are ok with it. If they're not getting a piece you get a fine. Simple as that.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
NFL is only concerned about making money. If your pink ribbons or eye black makes them money they are ok with it. If they're not getting a piece you get a fine. Simple as that.

I'm guessing that's what most businesses try to do....make money.
Again, instead of just flat out breaking the rules maybe some dialogue between the 2 sides would be better? This isn't the 1st year for the pink apparel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT