ADVERTISEMENT

Did having two excellent "possession" style receivers hurt the offense to some degree last season?

summit2001

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 28, 2003
Hear me out, just a topic for discussion, and obviously no knock on Coleman or Wilson. . .we all know how important they were to our offense last season.

But just to play devil's advocate. . .we know Travis would immediately go to them when he saw they were in single coverage, it was the game plan. More often than not, it worked, but it also possibly made us miss some other plays that may have opened up, possibly to a more open slot receiver or TE. Very often, when going to Coleman or Wilson when covered, if they made the catch, they were immediately tackled. Defenses seemed to take their chances by the end of the season in playing them single coverage and hoping to bat a ball away or make a stop, allowing them to focus taking the run away. We were undefeated. . .so our plan worked and it was not worth changing. . .but for arguments sake, could our offense been more potent had we been a bit more patient more often and tried to get the ball to a more open player?

I do feel this overall offense could, and should, actually be more difficult to contain if three receivers take the lead (which I believe they will). With the probable improved play at TE, improved play and depth on the OL, the variety of running backs, and a QB with more velocity on his throws. Having improved overall team speed and spreading the ball to a variety of positions on offense could make for an extremely potent and fun offense to watch.

I'll hang up now and hear your thoughts. . .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.