ADVERTISEMENT

Disney versus Universal

samcro11

Starter
Jul 11, 2015
Is it bad that I recently talked my daughter into going to Islands of Adventure versus Disney?

Wrong board but not really. Way smaller lines, less people, better rides.

Is it bad that I recently talked my daughter into going to Islands of Adventure versus Disney?

giphy.gif

Reactions: SavageSteve
Translation...

Disney owns ESPN,
ESPN hates FSU,
Ergo: don't go to Disney,
Convince child to go to a non-Disney attraction.

Amirite?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Nah, this is your last chance to ride the Incredible Hulk as is. It's closing on September 8th until next Summer as they're planning to do a complete demolition of the queue building plus launch tube and will be bringing in cars with new restraints and a quicker ride system (so it will be faster which isn't always a great thing as you can get less air time). Despite the Disney board's best hopes, that's not a sign Disney is getting Marvel back to open up new rides in 2035 given Disney's current rate of building. It's staying the Hulk and they're redoing the queue to be entirely enclosed and fully air conditioned (as opposed to partial for both currently) and will be less cartoony and more "impressive" like you're walking into a real working nuclear reactor.

There is a longstanding rumor that this marks some type of deal between Disney and Universal wherein Universal is allowed/"required" to update the looks of the rides and area to match the movies and in exchange Disney will never bother them with rights issues or attempt to interfere (plus they might be giving up their half of the LOTR as it stands Uni has rights to the movie but Disney to the books which means neither are using it) with Marvel and in exchange Universal will not sue over the nonutilized Marvel properties aka Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Hero Six and a couple of others. I'm not sure I believe this paragraph but it's been rumored for so long there MIGHT be something to it.

sorta on topic, saw a cool fan art for how Disney's new attraction won't look:

9HOidMU.jpg

If they had an exhibit where you could kill, dismember or otherwise obliterate Jar Jar Binks, then it would be the best park in the world.

Reactions: TexSkills
I am no fan of Universal. Went to their website to get the info on where to go what to see in the Park, and got all kinds of good stuff. What I didn't get was that two of their very top rides/attractions were closed on the dates we were going to visit. We would have changed our plans had we known.

sorta on topic, saw a cool fan art for how Disney's new attraction won't look:

9HOidMU.jpg

Yeah THAT one I would be really excited for. Instead it's going to look nothing like it. I also saw a fan redo of Tomorrowland with a Star Wars overlay that was really cool and could be done almost instantaneously (so for Disney...like five years) although I'm not sure I can find it again to repost it.

The new "Star Wars Park" in Orlando which per revealed agreements are to be completed "no later" than 2024 and starting building around 2017 is basically a complete destruction of Disney Studios...which is probably overdo. The only thing I will be upset with is the destruction of the Muppets as that was one of my favorites but I could care less about most of the other rides/shows. Maybe Indy.

Anyways, the only survivors will be Great Movie Ride (why? I have no idea, I've never heard anyone rave about), Rock'n'Roller Coaster (again, not sure why they're bothering to save it as it's an awful coaster neither exciting enough for real coaster fanatics like myself nor "kiddie" enough to function as a good "family" coaster like Everest and Space Mountain), Tower of Terror, Toy Story Midway Mania and Star Tours.

So scheduled for destruction is Muppetvision (weep), Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, ABC Sound Studio, Jedi Academy Training Ground, Lights Motors Action Extreme Stunt Show, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Little Mermaid, Disney Junior, Beauty and the Beast, and Frozen Singalong (to be moved to Epcot).

In their place will be three areas. Basically a large "Lucas" area with a clone of the Indiana Jones Ride (itself a semiclone of the horrible Dinosaur ride in AK but with different animatronics), two new Star Wars themed rides but tied to the sequels not the original, and Star Tours; then a Pixar area with Toy Story Mania and two or three new Pixar rides possibly including a clone of the Cars ride from California, and then the "Old, odd collection" basically consisting of the now mismatched Aerosmith coaster, Tower of Terror and Great Movie Ride.

Kids r young = Disney. Kids r teens = universal. Kids r > 50 = back to Disney, but only Epcot.

My Dad (70) and Mom (63) both love Universal. While it WAS true that Epcot had the sitting around and drinking market sewn up, I enjoy my "Around the Universe" tours better than the "Around the World" tour currently. Universal has much better proprietary cocktails and drinks. I've got the list saved somewhere of the "official" "Around the Universe" tour, if you're interested I'll type it out. Basically, in addition to the "No duh" things like getting a Duff Dry from Moe's, a Dragonscale with a shot of Fire Whiskey at Leaky Cauldrons and a Hogsbreath Ale in Hogsmead, you've got a lot of really good cocktails scattered around the parks and City Walk.

Yeah THAT one I would be really excited for. Instead it's going to look nothing like it. I also saw a fan redo of Tomorrowland with a Star Wars overlay that was really cool and could be done almost instantaneously (so for Disney...like five years) although I'm not sure I can find it again to repost it.

The new "Star Wars Park" in Orlando which per revealed agreements are to be completed "no later" than 2024 and starting building around 2017 is basically a complete destruction of Disney Studios...which is probably overdo. The only thing I will be upset with is the destruction of the Muppets as that was one of my favorites but I could care less about most of the other rides/shows. Maybe Indy.

Anyways, the only survivors will be Great Movie Ride (why? I have no idea, I've never heard anyone rave about), Rock'n'Roller Coaster (again, not sure why they're bothering to save it as it's an awful coaster neither exciting enough for real coaster fanatics like myself nor "kiddie" enough to function as a good "family" coaster like Everest and Space Mountain), Tower of Terror, Toy Story Midway Mania and Star Tours.

So scheduled for destruction is Muppetvision (weep), Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, ABC Sound Studio, Jedi Academy Training Ground, Lights Motors Action Extreme Stunt Show, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Little Mermaid, Disney Junior, Beauty and the Beast, and Frozen Singalong (to be moved to Epcot).

In their place will be three areas. Basically a large "Lucas" area with a clone of the Indiana Jones Ride (itself a semiclone of the horrible Dinosaur ride in AK but with different animatronics), two new Star Wars themed rides but tied to the sequels not the original, and Star Tours; then a Pixar area with Toy Story Mania and two or three new Pixar rides possibly including a clone of the Cars ride from California, and then the "Old, odd collection" basically consisting of the now mismatched Aerosmith coaster, Tower of Terror and Great Movie Ride.

You just spun the reality out of everything here.

My Dad (70) and Mom (63) both love Universal. While it WAS true that Epcot had the sitting around and drinking market sewn up, I enjoy my "Around the Universe" tours better than the "Around the World" tour currently. Universal has much better proprietary cocktails and drinks. I've got the list saved somewhere of the "official" "Around the Universe" tour, if you're interested I'll type it out. Basically, in addition to the "No duh" things like getting a Duff Dry from Moe's, a Dragonscale with a shot of Fire Whiskey at Leaky Cauldrons and a Hogsbreath Ale in Hogsmead, you've got a lot of really good cocktails scattered around the parks and City Walk.
I need the around the universe drinking tour. We are Universal season pass holders. So this is a must!

I need the around the universe drinking tour. We are Universal season pass holders. So this is a must!

Here ya go, the consensus "Drinking Around the Universe" from the folks (including me) at Orlando United.

So the min to drink around the universe is:

Universal Studios:

1) Shark Attack and/or Frozen Mojito from Chez Alcatraz
2) Rum and Coke at Bone Chillin
3) Duff and/or Duff Dry at Moes
4) Fire Whiskey neat or with Strongbow at Leaky Cauldron
5) Dragonscale or Wizard's Brew at the Hopping Pot in DiagonAlley
6) Moretti Birra at Louie's Italian Restaurant

Islands of Adventure
1) Port of Entry, Navigators Bloody Mary or Southern Slammer at Backwater Bar
2) Hogs Head Brew at Hogs Head Pub
3) Strawberry Daiquiri at Frozen Drinks in the Lost Continent
4) Mythos Martini at Mythos (not a regular martini its Malibu Rum, Peach Schnapps, Midori, Sour Mix and Chambord (raspberry and vanilla infused cognac)
5) Predator on the Rocks (Midori, Malibu, blue Curaçao, pineapple juice, and sour mix) or Mai Tai at the Watering Hole
6) Blue Moon from Ale to the Chief

If you want to pass out the extended City Walk portion would include:

1) Hurricane at Pat O'Briens
2) The Horse you rode in on or Handsome George Lucas at Antojitos
3) Jamaican Mon (a ton of black seal, orange juice, lemon juice, simple syrup and soda), a Dark and Stormy (black seal rum and ginger beer), or One Love (Chambord, Bacardi Limon, Bacardi Black Razz, sour mix, blue Curaçao and pineapple juice) from Bob Marleys
4) Bees Knees (gin, lemon juice, lime juice and honey and soda) at Cowfish
5) Margarita or Moscow Mule at Margaritaville
6) Peroni or Chianti from Red Oven Bakery
7) Peaches and Cream (Bellini plus piña colada and rum) at Fat Tuesday's
8) Abita Purple Haze or a Florida Brewing Company beer from Shoreline Bar

Reactions: ericram
Btw, the Watering Hole doesn't look like much from the outside but it's got the best bartender at any theme park. I wish I could remember his name but it's a typical Welsh name and he's got a strong Welsh accent. So if he's there just look at his name tag and say he was highly rec'd by Orlando United and he'll throw a couple of extra, higher end shots for you.

And for the record, I along with my wife, my sister and her husband, my SOL and her husband managed to do the full Around the Universe plus about half of the City Walk death (to brain cells) march. Of course we were staying at a hotel on site.

Btw, as an aside, the new Minions Freeze Ray smoothie is quite good. It's basically a banana and mango smoothie/sorbet/"whip" over sprite. But I bet it would blow your mind if you could sneak in a shot of Fire Whiskey or maybe some rum. Unfortunately all of the Fire Whiskey purveyors (aka every place with alcohol on both sides of the Wizarding World) are pretty far from where you get the Freeze Rays (next to the stadium stage and across from Monsters Cafe).

http://orlandoinformer.com/topic/315-freeze-ray-smoothie-at-universal-studios-florida/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT