ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's Kara Lawson alleges men's basketball was used in first half on Sunday vs. FSU

ACC Statement on the Duke at Florida State Women's Basketball Game

“Upon completion of the game, the conference office was made aware of the allegation and immediately conducted a comprehensive review. This included discussion with all parties involved, including game officials, game administrators, table crew and both schools. Following the thorough and objective review process, there was no evidence found to support the claim. Per NCAA playing rules, there is no appeal or protest process. The conference continues to prioritize and support our nearly 10,000 student-athletes in a world-class manner and conduct its 27 sponsored sports with the utmost integrity. The conference office considers this matter to be closed and will have no further comment.”

ACC Statement on the Duke at Florida State Women's Basketball Game

“Upon completion of the game, the conference office was made aware of the allegation and immediately conducted a comprehensive review. This included discussion with all parties involved, including game officials, game administrators, table crew and both schools. Following the thorough and objective review process, there was no evidence found to support the claim. Per NCAA playing rules, there is no appeal or protest process. The conference continues to prioritize and support our nearly 10,000 student-athletes in a world-class manner and conduct its 27 sponsored sports with the utmost integrity. The conference office considers this matter to be closed and will have no further comment.”
It's pretty wild that she's making this big a thing out of it. I guess she's trying to argue that maybe her team shoots much better with the correct ball in the first half, but the second half (when she says they started using the women's ball) is when FSU dominated Duke. Maybe one to just let pass even if she really believes it.

Reactions: aawash
"Following the thorough and objective review process, there was no evidence found to support the claim."----to quote State Farm: "She sounds hideous"---and a whiner to boot!

• Haha
Reactions: seminoleed
A few questions to @Bob Ferrante or @CurtWeiler if you don’t mind:
1) if the ball was switched at halftime after Duke protested, wouldn’t that be known by officials, scorers table and coaches? How would that conversation and ball change have happened in isolation?
2) It is surprising that the players didn’t notice on both sides. Seems like players at that level would have known right away since the weight and size are very different.
3) Do you think Duke is pointing the finger at Brooke or just game officials? Has Brooke said or been asked anything?

I’m not disputing it but hard to believe it is not known among all parties if true.
Thanks

A few questions to @Bob Ferrante or @CurtWeiler if you don’t mind:
1) if the ball was switched at halftime after Duke protested, wouldn’t that be known by officials, scorers table and coaches? How would that conversation and ball change have happened in isolation?
2) It is surprising that the players didn’t notice on both sides. Seems like players at that level would have known right away since the weight and size are very different.
3) Do you think Duke is pointing the finger at Brooke or just game officials? Has Brooke said or been asked anything?

I’m not disputing it but hard to believe it is not known among all parties if true.
Thanks
^ This +1.

IF they actually played the first half with a men's ball, then the ACC would have confirmed Duke's claim because the game officials would have confirmed it as well.

Sounds like Duke may have been complaining about the ball in general and they switched it at halftime, but they switched a women's ball for another women's ball and Duke got it wrong by assuming they had been using a men's ball.

How dumb does Duke look now. Still, they sound like a bunch of whiny bishes.

Brooke Wyckoff declined comment when I asked. Not sure we'll get too many more details here but I took Lawson's comments as being sour that the ACC didn't find something upon investigating or wasn't more empathetic. Is it possible that a men's ball found its way to the court that day? Sure. The teams share the same arena and practice gym.

For what it's worth, Lawson was clearly agitated after the FSU-Duke game. She did interviews, which is unusual but some of the Duke student writers made the trip here. She answered our questions, including mine on Makayla Timpson's double-double and the challenge of defending her one-on-one, but did not bring up the issue of the men's ball being used in the first half in her postgame interview.

Brooke Wyckoff declined comment when I asked. Not sure we'll get too many more details here but I took Lawson's comments as being sour that the ACC didn't find something upon investigating or wasn't more empathetic. Is it possible that a men's ball found its way to the court that day? Sure. The teams share the same arena and practice gym.

For what it's worth, Lawson was clearly agitated after the FSU-Duke game. She did interviews, which is unusual but some of the Duke student writers made the trip here. She answered our questions, including mine on Makayla Timpson's double-double and the challenge of defending her one-on-one, but did not bring up the issue of the men's ball being used in the first half in her postgame interview.
Thanks Bob

Reactions: Bob Ferrante
FSU is just trying to trim expenses... Women's products cost more due to the "pink tax".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT