ADVERTISEMENT

Dumbest pick in NFL draft history

bsf4708

Star Player
Dec 8, 2007
Saw a couple of articles online today that said an unnamed NFL GM called the Aguayo pick by the Bucs the dumbest pick in NFL history. Anyone have additional info about which team's GM it was? I'd like to write it down for future reference.

Saw a couple of articles online today that said an unnamed NFL GM called the Aguayo pick by the Bucs the dumbest pick in NFL history. Anyone have additional info about which team's GM it was? I'd like to write it down for future reference.
Really? Apparently, they forgot about Ryan Leaf, Johnny football and 100's of other more costly picks that went nowhere. This one is going to pay dividends, big time.

They prob sdaid the same crap when the polish powder keg was drafted but i bet they would say now it was one of the raiders greatest picks.

Anytime the said "anonymous source" needs to remain anonymous, it is usually because they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Bucs once used a 2nd round pick to select Booker Reese from Bethune Cookman. This isn't even remotely as bad as that one. Look him up.

I just can not understand how you can call and guaranteed starter and contributor the worst pick in NFL history.... It baffles me.. Some 2nd rounders don't even see the field shoot some 1st rounders are complete bust and are off the roster after 2 seasons. just dumb to call a kicker that will play for 10+ years the worst draft pick in history, and I havent even brought up his skill set and accuracy lol

Last edited:
Reactions: NYNole40
I would rather have Aguayo in the second than Goff or Wentz with 1 or 2. So, no, in my mind that was not even the worst pick in this draft much less in the history of the draft. Carson Wentz's stats are pretty pedestrian and that was with a roster full of FBS quality players against FCS defenses every week.

That said, trading into the second round to get him was probably not a good decision.

Probably the reason Gm's may make those statements are because their mad or upset because they didn't draft him that high. They need to worry about their team instead someone else's; just ask Bobby Bowden about a kicker, we would have beat Miami if we had a good kicker; this is over hype by Gm's, Go Noles!

The value of the kicker has gone way up now that extra points are 30 yards. They might have overpaid but it honestly tells me that the organization is building quality depth in all positions.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Gabbert and many others were worse by a mile. At least he won a playoff game lol

That wasn't the question.. Gabbert was drafted were he was supposed to. If the question was biggest bust, he's in the that. The question was dumbest draft pick and drafting a guy like Tebow because of pure intangibles and not having to ability to throw a ball is dumb

It's a bit of hyperbole to say worst ever but it was a terrible pick by The Bucs...I think Aguayo is the best college kicker I've ever seen and I'm happy as hell he's getting paid second round money, but you don't trade picks to move up to take a kicker with the 59th pick in the draft when in all likelihood you could have got him in the 3rd,4th,5th round...after all he was the only kicker chosen in the draft..if I'm a GM I'm never taking a kicker before the 4th round and certainly never trading picks to get one, because they are way too fragile of a position to take that chance on...all kickers are one big missed kick from going into a career tailspin they may never come out of...examples are too many to list...in fact if you look at most great kickers they were all cut 1,2 or 3 times before they discovered "it" and became great with a team....im hoping he may be like Sea Bass but history says that likely won't be the case

Reactions: NoleLizards
I remember when the Bucs used a 2nd round pick on a receiver from Appalachian State, who never caught a pass for the Bucs before being cut. It's pretty damn impossible to have a worse 2nd round pick than that.

Whoever drafted Tebow wears that crown as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the gay guy that was drafted because he was gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. (being gay)

I can give you about 5 from the Jags alone that's worst than the Bucs taking Robeeto
No doubt! The Jaguars drafted a punter in the third round a few years ago. Now to me that is pretty bad considering how void of talent the Jaguars had a few years ago. Good news is that they finally seem to be turning the corner.

Reactions: AleChief
Probably the same GM that said Jameis would be a bust. As a Bucs fan, I like the pick. We lost at least 2 games with the horrible kicker they had last year. Kicker was a position of need.

If any GM really said this it's likely a sour puss GM who is pissed Licht outfoxed them and took Roberto before they could early in the 3rd.

Dumbest pick in the draft is a toss up between Dallas taking Elliot, Tennessee trading up to take that tackle, or giants taking Apple at 10.

Oh and everyone knows the dumbest pick in the history of the draft was when Denver traded back into the first to draft Tebow. It was a pick that got the GM and head coach fired.

Reactions: AleChief
AJ Jenkins, 2012 1st rd pick San Fran. Career stats 17 catches 223 yards. Before the draft was graded 5th round at best. Alshon Jeffrey selected 15 picks later.

Reactions: ChopACane
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT