ADVERTISEMENT

Dumbest pick in NFL draft history

The Bucs traded their 3rd round pick, and a 4th round pick they stole from the Bears, to move up & get him. In the range of where those two picks were, you'd be hoping to get a couple of guys who can provide some decent depth, and maybe can develop to the point that they start a little before leaving as free agents in a few years. There's a very real chance that at least one of those picks will be a bust who doesn't ever make your roster.

So they gave up those two crapshoot picks to get a guy who's expected to be a great kicker. Not decent, but great. Great kicker vs mediocre kicker can swing at least a game or two a year; great kicking vs poor kicking can swing 2 to 4 games a year. Multiply that by the career of a top notch kicker & you've picked up a lot of wins over the next 10 to 15 years.

Reactions: fsUTampa
Not really a draft pick per se, but the moron from Minnesota that traded the future to Dallas for Herschel Walker. Minnesota gave Dallas:

Their 1st, 2nd, and 6th round picks in 1990...
Their 1st and 2nd round picks in 1991....
Their 2nd and 3rd round picks in 1992....
Their 1st round pick in 1993...
And 5 players including FSU's Jesse Solomon

Minnesota also received Dallas' 3rd and 10th round picks in 1990 and their 3rd round pick in 1991 too.

How could anybody in their right mind make a trade like that? Amazing.

Also keep in mind the chances of Aguayo getting hurt are virtually zero (knock on wood). Many "busts" just got hurt and that makes the decision look bad. In that sense, he's a very safe pick.

So Tampa gets production at a low-ish cost relative to the league plus low chance of injury...hard to see that as dumb at all, let alone all-time dumb.

Other highly drafted kickers have worked out at least reasonably well if not excellent. In a sense it's one the most bust-resistant choices out there. QB's and pass rushers are far more risky.

Throw out the fact that a) I'm a Noles and Broncos fan b) Tebow was a gator c) we now all know for a fact he could never be an NFL QB. I knew the second we made that pick, that it was as bad a pick that could be made. I can't tell you the litany of expletives that flew from my mouth at that moment. I will forever hate Josh McNugget for that move and for running off Brandon Marshall. Thank freakin God for John Elway. The way he was able to clean up that mess in nothing short of remarkable. Of course being John Elway and having that prestige and knowledge of being a championship QB sure helped him land Manning, and that got everything rolling. But his free agent moves have almost all been home runs, and of course, he took full advantage of the 2nd pick of the draft and grabbed Von Miller. But yeah, Ryan Leaf was a giant bust at #2 but going into that draft there was no way to know, and it wasn't a "stupid" pick at the time. Anyone with a brain and knowledge of the game flat out knew Tebow's skill set had no prayer to succeed in the NFL. Complete garbage draft pick. But hey, we did get Bebe Thomas in that same 1st round so there's that.

As far as I'm concerned it a very conservative pick. The chance of Aguayo busting is extremely low compared to all draft picks this year. Seriously.... who is more secure?

Let's see what this so-called "expert" says when Aguayo is winning some games with
long ranged field goals. He occupies a rare position that figures in the offense (PATs & FGs)
and defense (kick offs and kick off coverage). A clutch kicker is going to figure predominantly
in several wins every season. Barring the unforeseen, the Buc's won't have to worry about
this aspect of their game for the next dozen years or so. So how is this the dumbest pick ever?
But hey, let's remember the definition of "expert": It's a has-been drip.
The dumbest thing here, IMHO, is the guy's opinion.

00G0G_aDM0KmLeVJi_600x450.jpg

dumbest comment ever. Not nearly as bad as Ryan Leaf, Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel, or even Christian Ponder/EJ Manuel in the first rounds.

I remember that guy. He made millions at the combine.
He did a great job of training for all of the Combine trials and drills but couldn't play football worth a lick! It would be the equivalent of someone with no debating or public-speaking skills acing the LSAT and getting into Harvard's law school.

Mike Mamula?

Mamula is one of my favorite non-Buc NFL players ever. His great showing at the combine convinced the idiot Eagles that he'd be a superstar. The resulting trade (and the Eagles taking Mamula) essentially turned the Bucs franchise around, allowing them to land both Sapp and Brooks.
Yeah, the Bucs parlayed the Eagles desire for Mamula into two Hall of Fame defenders. And somehow, the Bucs now picking Roberto is the dumbest draft pick ever.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Winston/Aguayo > scoring machine

Cross the 40 and look to score! To a great extent it was with the help of Jason Elam that gave the Broncos 2 rings!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT