ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Goldman is opting out

These decisions are a lot easier to make when you have 25million guaranteed. If this was a contract year my guess is he'd be front and center at every practice. Not knocking him in the least, just pointing out the disparity guys are facing is different from player to player.

COVID effects fat folk at a higher rate, amirite?
It is not being fat alone but it is being fat and having a condition such as asthma diabetes COPD hypertension ETC .. but if you are fat, eat poorly and out of shape you frequently have a COVID condition ..

yes if your old (over 75) or fat you likely have asthma diabetes COPD hypertension ETC and are not completely healthy

not sure it makes sense with Goldman .. hopefully he has discussed with a doctor. I would hope is in great shape and eating well .. but if he has a condition and is fat / large .. yes he needs to sit.

I wonder if it's better financially to opt out or is it better to roll the dice and wait for suspension of the season?

Yall do not know that man's situation. He may well have other family members at risk. He may well have listened to Myron Rolle who says he thinks it is a bad idea to be playing football right now. He has millions in the bank and can afford to do what he feels is safest for himself and his family.

PS Buster Posey did the same.

These are great Noles. Respect their decision. Talking down about people for doing what they feel is right for them or their fam is weak

Last edited:
Or killing your grandparents!! There is no excuse this far into this pandemic for ignorance
Or you could just not visit your grandparents while the pandemic is around! No excuse for quarantining everyone. That's just ignorant.

Absurd. Embarassing.
There are a lot of things related to the handling of this virus that I don’t agree with like shutting down our economy. Someone making a personal decision that has an affect on he or his family is not one of them.

Reactions: fsu127
Yall do not know that man's situation. He may well have other family members at risk. He may well have listened to Myron Rolle who says he thinks it is a bad idea to be playing football right now.

Guys .. As you know I am pro - lets play college ball .. Yes .. I think we play and if we keep the sick away it will be safe.

Why are we playing or considering playing? $$$ Money .. if the athletic department and would not go bankrupt or at least be almost irrecoverably devastated .. we would not even consider playing.

What I am saying is Myron is right .. makes no sense to play medically. It only makes sense to play financially.

Illinois as a whole has cases down, but there seems to be a slight uptick recently. But it’s totally up to him. .

Or you could just not visit your grandparents while the pandemic is around! No excuse for quarantining everyone. That's just ignorant.
Or wear a mask and social distance and still get to visit your grandparents because you
Haven’t purposely put yourself in a position where you’re highly likely to contact it. See Miami Marlins. Talk about ignorant

Taking a year off doesn’t really affect his career length. The length of his career is determined by games/snaps playedZ It’s not like being a year older really matters. Not too many 35 year old nfl players.

Can people who opt out change their mind? Is this perhaps just another way to reduce the length of training camp? Just curious. If they can change their mind, I bet half of them do.

The vast majority of us are at work risking whatever this is. Personally I feel like healthy 20 somethings for the most part will be okay and the staff and others should r the ale precautions for the ones vulnerable. It’s like this teacher crap in fl... my wife is at work in a 200+ person office building and luckily I never missed a day due to all this at my job but am still out and about every day with my work and in close proximity to others. Protect the vulnerable teachers and staff but everyone else needs to teach and have the kids in school. I get them bringing it home to parents but personally my wife or I could do that any normal day as well.

Reactions: chumleynole
The vast majority of us are at work risking whatever this is. Personally I feel like healthy 20 somethings for the most part will be okay and the staff and others should r the ale precautions for the ones vulnerable. It’s like this teacher crap in fl... my wife is at work in a 200+ person office building and luckily I never missed a day due to all this at my job but am still out and about every day with my work and in close proximity to others. Protect the vulnerable teachers and staff but everyone else needs to teach and have the kids in school. I get them bringing it home to parents but personally my wife or I could do that any normal day as well.

And you too should have the opportunity to stay home and social distance but it sounds like you are tied to your job? Guess what either you made the choice to keep working or you don't have the financial means to do what Eddie can. He's making unquestionably the best move for himself and his family and smart people around the globe are too.

I thank God every day im not in the petri dish that is Florida right now surrounded by this sort of selfish myopic mindset.

I've never missed a day at work during the pandemic because of my desire to keep working but I'm not in a classroom or a football field in close proximity to people with a DEADLY virus. No, everyone else does not need to teach. You need to learn

Why would anyone, especially in a $9/mth board criticize any player for opting out? Did you hammer buster posey for doing the same thing?

And this is coming from someone who thinks the media is over blowing this thing. (I know, 120k people have died)

I'm not mad at a y player, ever, for doing this. And it's ridiculous to do otherwise.

This is my, I guess considered uneducated thought by many, the whole he may have high risk or elderly people in his life, then stay away from them. Most of these players are not around there family anyways during the season. So why not sleep in the guest house or rent a one bed room apartment or condo and roll on. My father has had cancer 3 times but while we are all cautious we also live our life why because unselfishly that is what he wants. The average life expectancy in the US is around 75 and ironically Covid is attacking people over 75.

Be smart live life and live on. H1N1 affected 56m people and attacked the young far worse than Covid has and we still lived life. Let’s roll!!

Why would anyone, especially in a $9/mth board criticize any player for opting out? Did you hammer buster posey for doing the same thing?

And this is coming from someone who thinks the media is over blowing this thing. (I know, 120k people have died)

I'm not mad at a y player, ever, for doing this. And it's ridiculous to do otherwise.
150k+ have died.

Florida just had a single day record for deaths.

and a German study was recently published that shows there may be potential long term heart damage to people that contract the virus, even people without previous health issues or that didn’t have symptoms bad enough for hospitalization. And these people involved in the study weren’t the elderly.

There is a lot about the virus we still don’t know. And as you said, it’s ridiculous to bash someone for exercising caution.

Last edited:
Reactions: amckinnon317
It is not being fat alone but it is being fat and having a condition such as asthma diabetes COPD hypertension ETC .. but if you are fat, eat poorly and out of shape you frequently have a COVID condition ..

yes if your old (over 75) or fat you likely have asthma diabetes COPD hypertension ETC and are not completely healthy

not sure it makes sense with Goldman .. hopefully he has discussed with a doctor. I would hope is in great shape and eating well .. but if he has a condition and is fat / large .. yes he needs to sit.
:Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy

150k+ have died.

Florida just had a single day record for deaths.

and a German study was recently published that shows there may be potential long term heart damage to people that contract the virus, even people without previous health issues or that didn’t have symptoms bad enough for hospitalization. And these people involved in the study weren’t the elderly.

There is a lot about the virus we still don’t know. And as you said, it’s ridiculous to bash someone for exercising caution.

Just to be more precise, all those people did not pass away yesterday. that's when they were reported, but not actually died.

There is a lot that is unknown, but we won't go down that road in this thread...bottom line, someone doesn't want to take the risk, respect their decision and get on with your day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT