ADVERTISEMENT

Ever know anyone who made any money in multilevel marketing?

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
Amway, Herbalife, etc?

Seems like they play on people's dreams and hopes for success, but I've never known anyone that makes anything. To the contrary, after you factor in all the cost of seminars and books and time spent you probably are losing a ton of money.

Yes, I've known some who've made really good money. You have to get into one very early, you have to be willing to alienate every friend and family member you have if necessary, and you have to be able to sell at all times to as many people as you come across. You also have to be very good at getting those you sell to, to do the exact same thing.

If you can wind up with enough people in your pyramid who sell very well then you can make good money until the whole thing eventually collapses on itself, which it always will, but for a while, you can make very good money.

Yes, I've known some who've made really good money. You have to get into one very early, you have to be willing to alienate every friend and family member you have if necessary, and you have to be able to sell at all times to as many people as you come across. You also have to be very good at getting those you sell to, to do the exact same thing.

If you can wind up with enough people in your pyramid who sell very well then you can make good money until the whole thing eventually collapses on itself, which it always will, but for a while, you can make very good money.
What is "good money?"

I don't think I have, but I know a LOT of really annoying chicks on FB that I'm friends with who peddle the crap out of some makeup...and I really hope they all catch incurable eczema!

Reactions: seminoleed
I have a friend who got in on Jamberry early and is making a ton of money. Her husband retired and they bought a house with cash money in their mid thirties.

We know the premise chief. Who are the 'some' and how much do they make? Are they living in mansions and driving Mercedes?

One got in on amway very early. I don't know his full details but he did well for quite a while and had over a million in the bank last time I saw him about 13 years ago. There was also some Christian mlm 20 years ago that roped my dad and grandfather in. We had a friend who had made over 6 figures a year for a couple of years. If course as soon as they bought in the whole thing collapsed and they lost what they put in.

So can you make money at least for a time? It's possible but it's also rare and you're more than likely just going to irritate everyone you know until you flame out.

I know plenty of people that have lied about how much money they make. Most can't afford to pay attention

A friend of my dad started Market America. He pulls in about $80M a year.

Every soristitute that I'm friends with on FB seems to be selling Rodan & Fields (zit stuff) they must be making money as much as they post about it.

Reactions: 407nole
Pyramid salespeople are shameless pandering losers. They're in the same sycophantic category as time share salesmen and telemarketers. The gullibility of these desperate low rents is similar to the downtrodden who became Hitler acolytes in the Munchen beer halls. To even speak to one makes me want to take a shower.

A coworker who was making $250k quit to be a stay at home dad. Turns out, his wife was making $1.5M on Mona Vie every year. They ended up getting with a couple other top producers and taking their networks to form a startup pyramid

I'm also friends with the founder of Exfuze. Not that well known here, but huge in Asia. No idea how much he makes because he doesn't brag about it, but he does very well from what I can tell

Yep, it is possible to make money although a very low percentage. Those who do make money do so by finding enough people directly beneath them who are very good salesmen and very good at convincing others that they are as well.

Yep, it is possible to make money although a very low percentage. Those who do make money do so by finding enough people directly beneath them who are very good salesmen and very good at convincing others that they are as well.
In other words, you need to be the Amway Tony Soprano.

An FSU frat boy in the 80s made a killing in multilevel marketing/pyramid schemes til he was caught by the FBI and sent to the slammer.

Amway, Herbalife, etc?

Seems like they play on people's dreams and hopes for success, but I've never known anyone that makes anything. To the contrary, after you factor in all the cost of seminars and books and time spent you probably are losing a ton of money.

Anyone who wants to make a lot of money this way, just send me $100 and I will tell he how to make a lot of money in marketing.

Is it safe to say these are huge scams?

We looked into Herbalife about 10 years ago-- it seemed too good to be true and as my dad used to (and still says) "if it looks to good to be true than it probably is". You want to talk about the stereotypical annoying sales person-- it was everyone that sold Herbalife things. I'm glad we got out before we got to deep. The funny thing is I specifically remember them saying you only need $25 to get started. But you need $2,000 to buy the supplies so that you are well stocked with all the items you are about to sell. We never paid the 2k.

Nowadays, my wife says the big thing is the oils. I don't remember the name of it but every few weeks there is a "big blowout sale" on FB from the idiots that sell it (dotara or some crap like that?).

I see a lot of posts on Facebook with people peddling the Beachbody/Shakeology stuff. It sounds like something along the same lines, but I have no knowledge either way.

The most common ones in my Facebook feed is for Plexus and Rodan and Fields. Both of the girls are good at what they do, but man the constant posts at least 5X per day got old quickly.

Have you heard about That Crazy Wrap Thing? It Works! (except when it doesn't)

By the time somebody approaches me about MLM, all the money has been made. These companies typically target high profile people at the beginning of the pyramid and use their networks. Those at the top get rich. I remember when I considered one, and I asked my neighbors if they had ever heard of it, and they had all been approached already, so I knew there was no market. The way to get rich is to start your own.

I still get a kick out of Amyway salespeople trying to convince me that Amway's supply chain is more efficient and cheaper than Walmart.

I know a few people that sell Advocare. A couple of them make 6 figures and are always getting free trips from Advocare.
I really don't get the weight loss companies. I mean their diet plans consist of eating very little and drinking their crap. If I took a multi-vitamin, drank a gal of water a day and ate a salad i'd lose weight just fine on my own.

I know a few people that sell Advocare. A couple of them make 6 figures and are always getting free trips from Advocare.
I really don't get the weight loss companies. I mean their diet plans consist of eating very little and drinking their crap. If I took a multi-vitamin, drank a gal of water a day and ate a salad i'd lose weight just fine on my own.

I have a Advocare account just so I can get a discount of their products. Love their Spark, multivitamins, fiber shake and I do the cleanse twice a year. Its around a $100 a year and they give me almost that much in free product plus a 30% discount so it pays for itself. I let a couple of friends buy stuff off of my account for my cost, definitely not going to sell it. The guy that got me on it probably makes money off of my small purchases.

Basically to be successful, aside from luck with timing (getting in early) someone would need to be highly driven, dedicated, and hard-working. Basically all of the qualities that, if they had them, they wouldn't be in a position where they needed to participate in pyramid schemes to be successful.

By the time somebody approaches me about MLM, all the money has been made. These companies typically target high profile people at the beginning of the pyramid and use their networks. Those at the top get rich. I remember when I considered one, and I asked my neighbors if they had ever heard of it, and they had all been approached already, so I knew there was no market. The way to get rich is to start your own.

I still get a kick out of Amyway salespeople trying to convince me that Amway's supply chain is more efficient and cheaper than Walmart.
So if you surf you should have heard of Brig Hart, a millionaire surfer and MLM superstar.....grew up in Jax Beach and made millions in multiple networks including Amway, Monavie just to name a few. I'm not here to push MLM but I've known many people that have developed very rich life styles from their endeavors. Most people don't have the fortitude or skill to stick with it for a very long time and it's not a get rich quick proposition although some get involved thinking it's so....there are also some very good people involved in some organizations and some not so lilly white in others.....it's not all back and white, but what really is?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT