ADVERTISEMENT

Fast Food Places Being Ruined by Uber Eats and the Like?

FisherWilcoxTaggart Survivor

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 22, 2020
Thoughts? When I go into Jersey Mike’s, Subway or any similar place to grab a quick sandwich — sometimes when the places are generally empty — the kitchens are swamped with delivery orders. So my objective of getting something “fast” is derailed while the overworked staffers juggle the “absentee” app orders.

Any similar experiences or thoughts? Maybe close the expensive retail outlets and just do takeout/delivery operations from some cheap warehouse?

Some of the restaurants around here, Chili's for one, have off premises ghost kitchens. That is where they make their delivery meals and Uber eats would go there to get your meal if practical.
Chipotle is another example. They have a separate station for making mobile orders. I think it's a good model to go to. Believe it or not, there is one particularly popular fast food chain here in NC who refuses to adopt the new way of ordering (I use "chain" loosely here, they are very much a local chain). It's called Biscuitville and they have no delivery or order ahead option. You walk in, or you wait in the drive-thru which often wraps around the building and out to the street.

Reactions: Delux247
Just one persons story...we ordered a delivery of chicken wings from Hooters.(as we have done before)...through one of the delivery apps...it was accepted and we got updates as it was prepared and how the driver was on the way to the restaurant etc etc etc...then we get a call from the driver saying he is at Hooters and they didn't and won't be making the meal!?

It was just so weird...like Hooters accepted the order from the app etc but either by accident or? intentional didn't and wouldn't complete it?

Just one persons story...we ordered a delivery of chicken wings from Hooters.(as we have done before)...through one of the delivery apps...it was accepted and we got updates as it was prepared and how the driver was on the way to the restaurant etc etc etc...then we get a call from the driver saying he is at Hooters and they didn't and won't be making the meal!?

It was just so weird...like Hooters accepted the order from the app etc but either by accident or? intentional didn't and wouldn't complete it?
I've had that happen before. They accepted the order but then got slammed in the restaurant and just didn't make it.

Thoughts? When I go into Jersey Mike’s, Subway or any similar place to grab a quick sandwich — sometimes when the places are generally empty — the kitchens are swamped with delivery orders. So my objective of getting something “fast” is derailed while the overworked staffers juggle the “absentee” app orders.

Any similar experiences or thoughts? Maybe close the expensive retail outlets and just do takeout/delivery operations from some cheap warehouse?
That's a good service HOWEVER...........I'm a firm believer that walk-in customers should have preference over all others........followed by drive through and then call-in/Uber delivery. I know you can't ignore call-ins etc. and you should try and work around the on site customers but those who actually came to the store should have a little preference.

That's a good service HOWEVER...........I'm a firm believer that walk-in customers should have preference over all others........followed by drive through and then call-in/Uber delivery. I know you can't ignore call-ins etc. and you should try and work around the on site customers but those who actually came to the store should have a little preference.
Yep. I have seen this same thing in retail stores. I'm there with my wallet in-hand -- trying to make a purchase -- and I am basically "tabled" while the clerk steps away to deal with someone on the phone (who probably won't buy anything).

I guess we are in that weird transition between "conventional stores" and "Jetson robots." I have basically abandoned most expectations of "service," and try to generally laugh at the "new normal."

Reactions: FSUBigALNoles#1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT