ADVERTISEMENT

Football Nuggets - Fisher talks to media at Jax tour stop (plus Fisher video)

Dot Com

Owner and administrator of Warchant.com
Mar 29, 2002
Tallahassee, Florida
warchant.com
Below is a video with Jimbo Fisher, along with a couple other members of the media, at the Jacksonville Seminole Booster Tour stop. Also, some highlights/quotes are provided below.

These aren't all the quotes but some of the major highlights:

Fisher on Deondre Francois after looking at film of spring game:
"Quarterback wise I was very happy. I thought Deondre played a good ballgame. He was asked to do a lot, he had a lot on his plate and thought he had some really nice plays in the game. I was very happy on third down, I thought he was excellent on third down. He he created with his legs and arms and made good decisions. The first interception was a really good decision but it was a hair short on the throw, we could have cleaned up the route a little bit but will learn from it. The one before the half I didn't like. But that's part of growing into it. The rest of it, it did some nice things and managed the clock."

You said Sean Maguire would start out No. 1 but how solid is that?
He's number one but out of respect for what he's done. He, Deondre has definitely earned some time with the ones. They'll be rotated and we'll move some guys around and do all that. It will be a wide open deal. That's no disrespect to Sean it's just what we've got to do every year.

After the IPF, player dorms, locker rooms and new scoreboards what is next facility wise?
An academic support system and an academic facility I think is going to be very critical. One, the number of athletes and the way things are going right now, and Florida State is a tremendous academic school right now. The criteria for getting into school and classes are all very demanding and tough. I think we have to have the support systems around the kids to make sure they are doing it. That's still the number one reason, to be a good person, to get a great degree and then play ball. An academic center and a lot of support in those areas I think are very critical for the future for not only Florida State, but for college football and college sports."

Update on Dalvin Cook's shoulder injury:
He's doing well. His surgery went really well, he's rehabbing really well and we expect hopefully by the middle or beginning of June he'll be running full speed. When camp comes he should be ready to go.

You have a couple players with significant injuries - Chad Mavety and Lorenzo Featherston - what is there status?
With Mavety we are still evaluating. It was a medical issue that I don't want to go into great detail about but it's something that we didn't foresee and he didn't foresee. Those guys, we had big plans for. Chad is as talented of a linemen as we got. You watch him play and just really get into the system, he was an NFL guy for sure. Featherston was too. He had four-five great days out there at practice. Featherston will most likely be a medical DQ unfortunately. It's not something I want to do or have any... That's what going to happen and that's what he's wants to do, he has a knee and some things. It's unfortunate because that guy was a player.

With Lorenzo no longer there and with Rick Leonard moved to offense are you concerned about depth at defensive end?
It is, but we'll bring some guys in and the way we play three-four, four-three, stand up the backers, play some nickel and different things we've got some great options there. We have a lot of guys between some of those backers that can be inside or outside guys and how you play the packages, we have a plan for that.

Would you be in favor of every few years moving the spring game to a location like Jacksonville, Tampa, South Florida, etc.?
It could benefit us, yet. There are some great things with it for the fans. Also some things in recruiting but you wish you could show your facilities off. I just depends on the scenario. But yes, that (Orlando) was a great venue and they did a great job. You never say never in this business.

Anything new with getting a game in Jacksonville in 2019?
Yeah, we've talked but don't know if are any closer in that regard. That's something we are definitely contemplating and trying to accomplish and get done.
Fisher also did't give any hints on a possible opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News