ADVERTISEMENT

For the guys only

I asked her pops, he was cool, but said I needed to talk to her mom. Her mom was cool, but didn't want us to rush into things. We had been dating a year at this point.

As for them saying no, I figured I was good. If they had said no, I would have just reminded them that they would just have their daughter getting it on with another dude.

No I didnt. I was at Camp Lejeune. He was 1100 miles away. We were so young, I didn't even shave regularly

Thinking about this question, I've often thought what I would say if I was asked by someone wanting my middle daughter. She is not "bad" in any traditional way that you could imagine a teenage girl, but she's....let's say difficult?

I vacillate between "Eventually she'll be some other poor sucker's problem" to true misgivings about what a guy is getting into. It will be the mixed emotions like selling a car that you know there's something wrong with.

I guess I can see it if you know the father is traditional and you or your girlfriend just do it out of respect for that reason. But I don't necessarily think it to be respectful in this day and age when women can be anything they want to be--and might very well be your superior in many ways educationally and financially--to go over their heads to seek approval.

I don't think it would be "going over their heads for approval", unless you didn't have that conversation with her first. Hopefully, anyone that asks someone to marry them, isn't doing it out of the blue. That would be kinda foolish.

Thinking about this question, I've often thought what I would say if I was asked by someone wanting my middle daughter. She is not "bad" in any traditional way that you could imagine a teenage girl, but she's....let's say difficult?

I vacillate between "Eventually she'll be some other poor sucker's problem" to true misgivings about what a guy is getting into. It will be the mixed emotions like selling a car that you know there's something wrong with.
That is awesome, Lou. Our daughter is gonna be a pistol for whoever pulls the trigger, so I feel your pain. She is nearly a year into her first post-college job and kinda knows everything... Her brother, however, needs somebody to adopt him as he is deep into screenwriting and part time work. Hell, at least they don't seem to be criminals.

Reactions: 62Nole
I don't think it would be "going over their heads for approval", unless you didn't have that conversation with her first. Hopefully, anyone that asks someone to marry them, isn't doing it out of the blue. That would be kinda foolish.
That's not what I'm saying at all. My point is you already had that conversation and she is going to say yes. Asking dad to OK it at that point seems absurd. Of course I got married at 31 and my wife was 29. I guess if I was Ted Nugent or Jerry Lee Louis and I was trying to abscond with someone's teenage daughter, seeking permission from Dad sounds better than a child molestation charge.

That's not what I'm saying at all. My point is you already had that conversation and she is going to say yes. Asking dad to OK it at that point seems absurd. Of course I got married at 31 and my wife was 29. I guess if I was Ted Nugent or Jerry Lee Louis and I was trying to abscond with someone's teenage daughter, seeking permission from Dad sounds better than a child molestation charge.

To each his own. It was important to her, so it was definitely important to me, and to her family. Nothing absurd about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT