ADVERTISEMENT

Former Buccaneer Scot Brantley in bad shape

Loved him when he played for the Bucs, and always thought he was a pretty good announcer on the radio. Sad news about him; not at all surprised that the NFL would deny his claim.
No thread about him should be without the hit he put on Eric Hipple.

Reactions: fsUTampa
We knew him back in the day when we lived in Tampa and he was playing for the Bucs. Last time I saw Scot was 2005 at a political fund raiser at a former players home in Avila.

Basically a good person and I hate to hear this. Not at all surprised to hear the league is doing this. God Bless Him.

That is sad news. Used to listen to his sports talk show that he had on 910 AM with Bob Hewko and go to their remotes. He knew we are FSU fans but he and Bob were never obnoxious to us when talking about FSU

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Grew up near Scott and John, and knew them both from an early age. I’ll speculate Scott had 100+ concussions in his life, dating back to high school. Not all sports related, either. He was a hard-living guy who fell out of jeeps, deer stands, etc. But a good guy once you got to know him. John was far more sociable and fun.

Hate to hear this. NFL is doing what it does best: deny reality and pretend this is a random event that is disconnected from football. Nonsense, of course, although I suspect part of Scott’s problem occurred pre-NFL (just being honest).

I have no doubt that some of it occurred pre-NFL; his problems were bad enough at UF that the team doctor recommended he never play again, and the school did not allow him to play there the rest of the season. My recollection is that they referred to it back then as a "brain bruise" or some such term.
He got a 2nd opinion that cleared him to play professionally, and the NFL gladly accepted that 2nd opinion. In hindsight, it kinda looks like maybe the team doctor was correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT