ADVERTISEMENT

FSU 66 UGA 68 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Bill From Tampa

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
FSU 66 UGA 68 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good

Well, there was .... uh ..... ummm. Give me a minute, I'll think of something.

Oh yeah, Darin Green and his brother (not really) De'Ante Green with 21 points and 14 respectively (a career high for De'Ante).

I did like the nifty Baba Miller pass to De'Ante Green crashing in along the left baseline for the lay up for the 31-27 lead.

FSU did well in taking care of the ball with just 9 turnovers. Until they made two in late in the second half as FSU was disintegrating. The timing was not good.

The Bad

Up by 17 and end up losing the game. A seventeen point margin in the 'Noles favor gone in a matter of minutes finished off with the game winning shot with one second left. The 16-3 run that gave FSU that seventeen point lead all for nothing.

With the loss, FSU falls to 4-2. It was the first meeting between the two teams in 42 years. Hopefully FSU will not have to wait another 42 years for a rematch to make up for tonight's debacle. Coming into the game, UGA coach Mike White was 0-7 in his tenure with the gatros. Make that 1-7.

"We kind of fell apart". Those were the first words from Leonard Hamilton in his post game show. He followed that with "we made poor decisions". As coach likes to say, "no doubt about that". I'll save that for the ugly part of this diatribe.

Hamilton's concern before tip off was UGA and how the Bulldogs play aggressively on offense constantly attacking the basket. And that is exactly what the Dawgs did, put their head down and just drove the ball in either making the lay up or kicking out for the three. This has been the 'Noles bug-a-boo since the season began. The defense just has numerous problems stopping the dribble. It really might not have not come down to the final shot as UGA had many wide open three point attempts that did not go down.

FSU's vaunted depth disappeared due to foul trouble that sent both Baba Miller and Jamir Watkins to the bench with five fouls.

Cameron Corhen played but in a very limited role coming of the bench producing very little in his 10 minutes on the floor. The injury he suffered last week clearly is not healed and affected his play. It was actually a game time decision to play him..

Jaylen Gainey played his first minutes as a Seminole. Unfortunately it is very clear he is not 100%. Not even close. An awkward landing in the first half forced Hamilton to sit him the rest of the game.

Had FSU won the game, the victory would have clinched the ACC/SEC Challenge in favor of the ACC. Instead the initial Challenge ends in a tie 7-7.

The Ugly

It bears repeating. Up by 17, and end up losing the game. A seventeen point margin in the 'Noles favor gone in a matter of minutes finished off with the game winning shot with one second left.

24-5. That is how much Florida State was outscored over the final 7:53.

To say both teams were offensively challenged in the first half would be an understatement. After racing out to a 5-0 to start the game, UGA failed to make another FG over the next 10:46. FSU was not much better connecting on just 1-18 shots over that stretch. Instead of jumping on the Bulldogs, FSU kept them in the game leading by just five, 15-10 after the Dawgs broke the scoring drought. That to me was a key factor in tonight's disappointment.

The other area of the game that contributed the most to the loss was after back to back threes by Darin Green, FSU led 61-44. And then it was as if the team stopped playing offense. The exact moment it slipped away can be traced to the full court press after a pair of FTs that UGA slapped on. Darin Green got himself pinned in the corner, panicked IMO and launched an ill-advised long pass over the time line that was picked off and run back for a three pointer, 61-50. From that point on the Seminoles were making every mistake in the book. Missed shots, missed FTs, poor defense in stopping the ball, fouls on defense, fouls on offense, turnovers ... you name it, they did it. It was some of the most undisciplined ball you will ever see. FSU finally gave up the lead, 64-63, with 2:29 to play. While UGA was playing down hill offensively, FSU was impatient and had very little semblance of a coordinated game on that side of the floor.

After scoring 19 in Daytona, Jalen Warley with an abysmal game on offense. 0-7 from the floor. 0-2 from the FT (when it really counted). It was ugly to watch.

Josh Nickelberry in not learning from his mistake in Daytona when he threw a cross court pass that was any DB's dream and easily pick off. Just as was the case again tonight. Memo to Josh: Don't do that. There, that should solve that issue.

Thank goodness De'Ante Green was not injured in that hard takedown by the neck by Russell Tchewa who was ejected on a Flagrant 2 foul.

Say, did you know that UGA's Jalen DeLoach is the brother of FSU's Kalen DeLoach? It was only mentioned it about 5,000 times.

The game that dragged along for two hours and thirty minutes only to see it end like that. That was a game FSU should have won.

Up Next

Now it gets tougher. A lot tougher as the 'Noles head to Chapel Hill to take on the 6-1 Tar Heels on Saturday at 2 PM. It will air on the ACCN. Earlier tonight, #17 UNC was hammering #10 Tennessee by something like 24 points in the first half. They ended up winning 100-92.

• Sad
Reactions: NoleLizards
That loss brought the SEC/ACC challenge to a 7-7 tie, by my count. I thought we had this one and turned it off.

We are lightyears better than last year.

It’s amazing to me how far this program has fallen off a cliff in a matter of 3 years. Time to hang it up coach. We kinda fell apart….captain obvious coach!!!

• Sad
Reactions: seminoleed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT