ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball FSU 68 the gatros 89 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Bill From Tampa

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
FSU 68 the gatros 89 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (and I mean ugly)

The Good

Just because there is something good in everything or so they say, Cameron Corhen and Jamir Watkins with decent offensive games. Corhen had a double double with 18 points and tied for game high honors with 10 rebounds, 9 of them on the offensive end. Watkins, on the strength of 7-11 (not to be confused with a certain convenience store) at the line scored 13. Near the end of the half Watkins had IMO the lone highlight for the 'Noles when he crashed down the lane, received the pass from Jalen Warley for the tomahawk slam. It was a real momentum builder as the basket closed the gap to within thirty, 50-22. WOO-HOO!!

Unbelievably in a game played so poorly in just about all aspects, the team only committed 10 turnovers.

Warley with 5 steals out of the team's total of 12.

At least the FSU women beat that OTHER team in their game played earlier at the O-Dome.

The Bad

With the lopsided loss, FSU ends its lengthy winning streak falling to 2-1.

Darin Green's streak of making at least one three pointer ends at 26 games after shooting 0-3 from the arc. It was a horrid night for the sharp shooter connecting on just 1 of 9 of his attempts.

And then there was rebounding or lack thereof. FSU was beaten badly on the boards by a 48-33 margin. The stunner in that is 17 of FSU's total were offensive boards (well, when you shoot 26% there are bound to be a lot of rebounds). The 'Noles managed just 17 second chance points however.

On the strength of those 12 steals, FSU forced 20 turnovers but could only score 12 points off the gatros' miscues.

The Ugly

Coming into the game, FSU had lost two straight to the gatros (their ...) aka crocs of XXVI. Make that three in a row. That was no way to celebrate the diamond anniversary meeting. That wasn't one step backwards. That was several steps.

That looked like a team that did not belong on the same floor. They looked rattled from the start. Not to pick on just him, but Baba Miller had one of his worst games unable to handle the gatros' bigs. No one appeared to handle the atmosphere well.

The silly fouls. I do not think I have ever seen a game where one team picked up four flagrant fouls. De'Ante Green was ejected for a flagrant two foul and Fletcher ejected as well for leaving the bench. I am not sure what that means for them as far as playing in the next game.

At least this time it wasn't the heartbreaker like last season when the 'Noles led by as many as 19, was up by 17 at the break, and ended up losing by 9. No, the slaughter was right from the beginning. Calculating time with holding the lead was rather easy to calculate.

As far as the first half is concerned, that was basketball???? Couldn't shoot. From anywhere . Couldn't defend. Tyrese Samuel had a field day in the first period often with no one around him as he dunked the ball. The back to back offensive fouls was a nice touch as well.

Shooting the ball. At least in the first period. The Seminoles shot a pathetic 26% from the floor. Included in that was a even more pathetic 1-9 from three point land. FSU did redeem itself somewhat shooting 46% in the second stanza mostly forgetting about shooting from distance.

When was it over? Some might say right after the tip off. Me, I would say after a layup by the gatros to make the score 29-8. It equaled the final margin of defeat which coincidentally was 21 points. Every thing else in between that layup and the final buzzer was just filler because the Seminoles did not have even an inkling of the look that this game would become competitive. Unless you call decreasing the deficit to just under 20 points which the 'Noles managed to do a couple of times in the second half.

In pre-game, Leonard Hamilton expressed his concern about Central Michigan shooting at a high percentage (52%) and how that needed to improve tonight. Unfortunately his concerns were justified as the gatros blistered the nets at a clip of 64% in the first half and finished the game at 52% (What a coincidence!!).

I am going to pin at least some of the blame on the TV announcers who said this should be a hard fought "fun game". Fun for who? Certainly not FSU.

The foul on Riley Kugal by Fletcher with .1 of a second left in the first period. Aside from Fletcher displaying horrible defense on that play by leaping at Kugal (you never should foul a jump shooter at the three point line), the refs taking nearly four minutes to decide whatever it was they were deciding .... which appeared to be nothing.

Up Next

FSU resumes the Sunshine Slam tournament when they take on UNLV at the Ocean Center on Monday in Daytona. Tip off is at 5:30 and to be broadcast on CBSSN. The Rebels are also 2-1 and on a two game winning streak. They currently have four players scoring in double figures and appear to have a balanced inside and outside scoring combination.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT